Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #1

Gorilla Glue Update

A while back I posted about how I used Gorilla Glue to stop the “vibes”. I started by coating only 2 bolts (one front one rear) with glue and let it set for 2 days. I have the balanced motor on mine so the vibes where never really an issue but I just did not like all the slop in the bolts. After doing just 2 bolts I had a very noticeable improvement in how smooth the bike feels. After about 2-3 weeks (couple hundred miles) it’s still holding up. This past weekend I did the other bolts and it’s still smooth as ever. Any smoother and it would feel like an electric scooter….no lie.

For those of you that don’t know Gorilla Glue expands when it cures. I coated the smooth part of the mount bolts and reinstalled. I even injected some glue using a red WD40 spray tube in a couple of the looser fitting top bolts before putting the nuts back on. The glue does the rest and fills in the gap when it dries. When used in this application where it only needs to fill in a small gap it seems to work very well creating a very tough polyurathane “sleeve” that is unaffected by water, high heat or cold. Granted it may not be as good as drilling the holes out and trying to get some tighter fitting bolts but it does a pretty darn good job in my opinion. I even took the nut off one of my originally glued blots and tried to wiggle it and there wan no give at all. It’s in there tight! Someone said gas or oil will dissolve the glue. Might only be a problem with the rear bottom most bolt because of chain oil getting on it. Mine was covered in grease but it had not penetrated inside so it should not be a problem. If it soaked in gas or something for hours then it might work it’s way in and effect the glue. I figure so what if it does. It’s just one of 7. BE WARNED, I don’t know if this could cause any other issues and I have no idea how hard it will be to get the bolts out now. I can’t imagine it’ll be too difficult. The glue is strong but does not stick to metal very well so I think with a good whack the bolts should pop right out. Also try not to get any on the threads. You won’t need loc-tite if you do. Wear gloves. If you get it on your fingers it’ll be there for days and will not wash off with hand cleaner or soap but can be cleaned up using a solvent.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #2

Without experimentation there is no progress. I'm just glad some are more daring than others! :wink:

Old 05-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #3

I wonder how hard the bolts will be to remove if needed?

Old 05-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #4

Man, I'm really tempted to try this. I did the drill and upgrade for the two rear bolts, but it's still not as smooth at all RPMs as the OHC that I have.
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 05-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #5

you know..with the shortage of gorillas in the world, I cannot believe you are condoning the use of a glue made from them.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:51 PM   #6

Glue

Actually no gorillas are harmed during the production of the glue. I believe it’s made from gorilla hair. There might be a few cold shivering gorillas out there. I would not want to be the guy that has to shave the gorillas. He must be one bad azz mf’er.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #7

has PETA heard about the use of gorilla glue

Old 05-30-2008, 10:35 PM   #8

good one!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapkin
you know..with the shortage of gorillas in the world, I cannot believe you are condoning the use of a glue made from them.
caught me off guard still laughing

Old 05-31-2008, 12:20 AM   #9

He was serious! :arrow:
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 05-31-2008, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog
has PETA heard about the use of gorilla glue
Oh you can bet that I am going to inform them of this. Such a precious natural resource being boiled in huge vats and having the scum that forms on the top of the vat scooped out to make glue. Its a freakin tradegy I tell you!

Old 05-31-2008, 09:52 AM   #11

well i am here to tell you mister, oops capitalize that MISTER,
the peta i belong to is P.E.T.A. that stands for people eating tasty animals, and i am jealous that i have not yey had the chance to taste such a critter and the vat thing makes me drewl, yummy.

any way brain sorry to take this off course, continue back.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:55 AM   #12

I actually thought about trying this but am concerned about being able to remove the bolts. Seems to me it makes sense but how well does that stuff stick up to heat and cold?

Old 05-31-2008, 03:14 PM   #13

Giver a go zap. If the glue fails you can scrape it out with a little knife. I don't think you have to worry much about not getting the bolt out. Use a punch, I'd think the bolt would pop right out.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:03 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Think I'll give it a go.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 05-31-2008, 06:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverchip
Think I'll give it a go.
I don't see how you can do any harm trying. You might chip a little paint getting the glue out someday but it's not going to harm the metal. Wouldn't JB do just as good or would it crack? I would think JB is harder than any glue.