Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2023, 06:21 PM   #1

Engine case protectors

If anyone is interested in case protectors for their ZS172FMM-3, here they are:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...d=7kiEyzN0yMnt

I only plan on using two pieces but ordered three in case I ever want that sprocket cover.

Old 08-31-2023, 12:01 AM   #2

No bueno. They sent the wrong part for the magneto side and the correct one for the clutch side doesn't fit. They're sending the correct mag cover so I'll see if that fits in about 2 weeks or so.

Old 09-02-2023, 10:43 PM   #3

Cancelled order, got a full refund and no need to return the case protectors. I can only speculate that there was a clutch change between 172FMM-3 and 172FMM-3A. Oh well...

Wasn't there a post here from Thumper? Sorry for not replying sooner. I'm watching my Aunt's dog because she broke her hip and the little guy ran away yesterday. Found him with the neighbors down the road today.

Old 09-03-2023, 03:12 PM   #4

Freddy,
My post referred to the lack of accuracy in advertising on that website/those websites, and issues I had on return shipping promises. I decided to remove the post. It was a little nasty. FYI, I was actually going to place an order for a 2 stroke dirtbike, but realized that there is NO protection from fraud, and no guaranteed support of any kind. On top of that, shippers seem to hate chinese bikes. Shipping from LA, or Texas is one thing (even that is risky!!!), but shipping from overseas??? Not doing it. Domestic distributors have skin in the game. Stick with them.

Could this be politically driven? Well, yeah, I am sure it can be. This is a wild card I am no longer willing to risk for anything of significant expense.

Cheap stuff under $20 is low risk, but I am skeptical for even those things. Something like jets or levers is game...but I now realize that any macined, hydraulic, etc product is suspect. Maybe over time, we will see a change. I will watch. When the cost is low, and I don't have an emergency, I MIGHT buy it.

Last edited by Thumper; 09-03-2023 at 07:41 PM.

Old 09-03-2023, 06:03 PM   #5

looks like something home 3d printing is meant to solve.

that or make some HDPE scrape pads out of a kitchen cutting board shape them with a heat gun and use a polyurethane adhesive on.

Old 09-03-2023, 08:18 PM   #6

I've made skid plates out of HDPE cutting boards and it takes a ton of heat, even still barely even causing the stuff to warp. Good luck forming it over an engine case -- you might need to bake it in a smelting furnace or possibly nuclear reactor for half an hour first. I'd stick to simple shapes if you go that route, or maybe making a plate or cage that doesn't necessarily touch all of the engine case for simplicity.

If you printed something like this out of TPU or possibly nylon it might actually survive touching the ground... I think if you tried to make a case protector like this out of standard PLA you'd just have made a bunch of time consuming shrapnel.

I'd be interested in something like this for my Orion, since it's the one bike I ride aggressively off road. Worth keeping an eye out, possibly.

Old 09-03-2023, 08:35 PM   #7

doesn't have to be a complete form case cage in HDPE. a skid puck in the prone zones might be enough.

Old 09-04-2023, 12:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Freddy,
My post referred to the lack of accuracy in advertising on that website/those websites, and issues I had on return shipping promises. I decided to remove the post. It was a little nasty. FYI, I was actually going to place an order for a 2 stroke dirtbike, but realized that there is NO protection from fraud, and no guaranteed support of any kind. On top of that, shippers seem to hate chinese bikes. Shipping from LA, or Texas is one thing (even that is risky!!!), but shipping from overseas??? Not doing it. Domestic distributors have skin in the game. Stick with them.

Could this be politically driven? Well, yeah, I am sure it can be. This is a wild card I am no longer willing to risk for anything of significant expense.

Cheap stuff under $20 is low risk, but I am skeptical for even those things. Something like jets or levers is game...but I now realize that any macined, hydraulic, etc product is suspect. Maybe over time, we will see a change. I will watch. When the cost is low, and I don't have an emergency, I MIGHT buy it.
I agree that ordering something as valuable as a dirt bike thru Alibaba is just too risky and that shippers hate Chinese bikes. The damage done to my Templar packaging appeared to be intentional. My dad just bought a Baja II mobility scooter deiivered by R&L and it arrived in pristine condition. The Baja box didn't have any Chinese on it.

Anyway, damn shame these engine case protectors don't fit our 3A engines. I was too optimistic about them initially.

Old 09-04-2023, 12:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
looks like something home 3d printing is meant to solve.

that or make some HDPE scrape pads out of a kitchen cutting board shape them with a heat gun and use a polyurethane adhesive on.
Not for me, $25 and a 2 week wait was about all the effort and expense I was interested in applying to this project.

Old 09-04-2023, 02:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
I agree that ordering something as valuable as a dirt bike thru Alibaba is just too risky and that shippers hate Chinese bikes. The damage done to my Templar packaging appeared to be intentional. My dad just bought a Baja II mobility scooter deiivered by R&L and it arrived in pristine condition. The Baja box didn't have any Chinese on it.

Anyway, damn shame these engine case protectors don't fit our 3A engines. I was too optimistic about them initially.
Goes to show the brain power of the people doing the damage.

There is almost nothing in the world that isn’t made in China. Everything is made there. Even if the package doesn’t say so in big letters. Dopes

Old 09-04-2023, 04:52 AM   #11

The same product looks to be listed for the CB250F Kayo/Zongshen

which would probably make them 169fmm covers in a 'generic' design that perhaps is assumed to fit all OHC engines in similar fashion.

I happen to have a 169fmm engine going into a bike project so I might roll the dice on a set of these covers...$26AUD with free shipping isn't terrible...and if it doesn't just fit I'll make it fit...

Old 09-04-2023, 05:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post

Cell phones, appliances, clothes, watches, furniture, probably 90% of stuff in the hardware or home departments at Kohls, JC Penney, Walmart ! It's all Chinese made or have mostly Chinese parts/labor into them. Employees at R&L might drive a Kia or Hyundai, which have lots of Chinese sourced auto parts in them. And they don't deliberately drive a forklift into their own cars! You gotta wonder what twisted mentality drives this type of behavior!

Old 09-04-2023, 11:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Goes to show the brain power of the people doing the damage.

There is almost nothing in the world that isn’t made in China. Everything is made there. Even if the package doesn’t say so in big letters. Dopes
So right. It's disappointing how few people seem to realize it's not the fault of the Chinese that American billionaires moved America's manufacturing jobs there. Who do they think they're hurting when they vandalize their fellow working class Americans new toys anyway?

Old 09-04-2023, 11:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
The same product looks to be listed for the CB250F Kayo/Zongshen

which would probably make them 169fmm covers in a 'generic' design that perhaps is assumed to fit all OHC engines in similar fashion.

I happen to have a 169fmm engine going into a bike project so I might roll the dice on a set of these covers...$26AUD with free shipping isn't terrible...and if it doesn't just fit I'll make it fit...
The clutch cover looks like it should fit but it's just a bit too small. Everything else matches up except the clutch basket cover. They sent the wrong cover for the mag side and were shipping a correction but intercepted it when I told them the clutch side didn't fit. The overall quality appears to be great. I'd be very interested to know if they fit the 169fmm.

Old 09-04-2023, 11:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Cell phones, appliances, clothes, watches, furniture, probably 90% of stuff in the hardware or home departments at Kohls, JC Penney, Walmart ! It's all Chinese made or have mostly Chinese parts/labor into them. Employees at R&L might drive a Kia or Hyundai, which have lots of Chinese sourced auto parts in them. And they don't deliberately drive a forklift into their own cars! You gotta wonder what twisted mentality drives this type of behavior!
Ignorance, Fox entertainment "news", the GOP... I'll stop now. Perhaps it suffices to blame our failing education system.