Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2023, 01:38 PM   #1

Look at this trunk thing I bought.

Thought about putting this on the "what did you buy" thread. Scored this for cheap at an auction thing we have nearby. Wasn't even sure what I was getting. But it was dirt cheap and brand new.

One thing I had in mind when I bought my Templar was to have something light and legal to stick on the back of our RV so I could run me and wife around on it. The one time I got her to ride on she said she didn't like it because she didn't feel "safe". Hmmm. Took me a while to digest this bit of female logic. Our usual ride is a freaking antique chopper. No front brake, no turn signals, no horn, no speedometer, etc. It's everything my mother feared when I was a teen trying to talk her into letting me have a bike. Like the epitome of dangerous. But that to her feels "safe". Only thing I could think up was that maybe because she's used to that sissy bar pad to lean back on. I saw that this thing appeared to have a padded backrest something like a Goldwing or whatever might have and it does. So the idea is this thing might make her more comfortable with the Templar.

I'm of two minds about it. It's pretty neat, almost a matching black. Got little turn signals and a 'high mount" brake light. The lenses aren't installed yet, and neither is it, I just laid it on the luggage rack to check out how it looked. My opinion is that a Templar X is really an enduro bike and shouldn't even have mirrors, turn signals, or even a license plate. I'm glad it does, because I've had it since March and have still yet to really take it off road. But here I am, going to attach a trunk that I suspect is meant for a moped. Bugs me. There is surely a way I can make it easily removable, I haven't actually looked at the mounting stuff it came with yet. Killing me. I'm a chopper guy, I take stuff off, not add it!

Old 08-10-2023, 01:43 PM   #2

You used the words female and logic in the same sentence.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 08-10-2023, 02:51 PM   #3

Is it quick release removable for an off road/trail session?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Thought about putting this on the "what did you buy" thread. Scored this for cheap at an auction thing we have nearby. Wasn't even sure what I was getting. But it was dirt cheap and brand new.

One thing I had in mind when I bought my Templar was to have something light and legal to stick on the back of our RV so I could run me and wife around on it. The one time I got her to ride on she said she didn't like it because she didn't feel "safe". Hmmm. Took me a while to digest this bit of female logic. Our usual ride is a freaking antique chopper. No front brake, no turn signals, no horn, no speedometer, etc. It's everything my mother feared when I was a teen trying to talk her into letting me have a bike. Like the epitome of dangerous. But that to her feels "safe". Only thing I could think up was that maybe because she's used to that sissy bar pad to lean back on. I saw that this thing appeared to have a padded backrest something like a Goldwing or whatever might have and it does. So the idea is this thing might make her more comfortable with the Templar.

I'm of two minds about it. It's pretty neat, almost a matching black. Got little turn signals and a 'high mount" brake light. The lenses aren't installed yet, and neither is it, I just laid it on the luggage rack to check out how it looked. My opinion is that a Templar X is really an enduro bike and shouldn't even have mirrors, turn signals, or even a license plate. I'm glad it does, because I've had it since March and have still yet to really take it off road. But here I am, going to attach a trunk that I suspect is meant for a moped. Bugs me. There is surely a way I can make it easily removable, I haven't actually looked at the mounting stuff it came with yet. Killing me. I'm a chopper guy, I take stuff off, not add it!

Old 08-10-2023, 07:41 PM   #4

I haven't even looked to see. It has some sort of mount which is probably meant to be permanent as I'm pretty sure it was never intended for use on an enduro. If/when I use it you can bet it WILL be removable. The look is kind of growing on me a little but no way am I hitting any trails with that on the tail. Among other reasons I'm pretty sure it would explode into a million pieces the first time I fell or bounced off a tree. Not things I make a habit of but they can and have happened before.

Old 08-10-2023, 08:32 PM   #5

If you want something smaller and sturdier to carry tools etc on the trail, look into the Apache (fake Pelican) cases at Harbor Freight. They come in multiple sizes. Hit the hardware store for brackets.

Here's the smallest, and only $13 (projectile-launching device not included):
https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-w...ack-64550.html
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.

Old 08-10-2023, 08:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
You used the words female and logic in the same sentence.
Gracie Allen, a logician's worst nightmare.

Old 08-12-2023, 06:33 PM   #7

I picked up my templar x for the same reason, to stick on the back of our rv. Turned out I liked riding it far more than I thought I would as it reminds me of the old Honda XR's I grew up on.i actually picked up a scooter specifically because it had a top case with a backrest so my wife would feel more secure as she's used to our dyna which has a sissy bar as well. Back when we were both kids we used to ride two up on a Honda XR650L but that was decades ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230812_122631.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	29904  
GasGas TXT 125

Old 08-12-2023, 06:50 PM   #8

I found this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...811IZ51D&psc=1

There's a reviewer who did a side-by-side comparison of 3 different tail bags made by kemimoto. I figure it's about the cost of a decent backpack, why not?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kemimoto tail bag.1.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	29905  

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 08-12-2023, 07:09 PM   #9

Trunks are so practical, BUT they get to me after a while. I have a huge, but practical bag mounted to my Hawk, and it holds a good bit, actually more that the trunk I had on it. The bag is some sort of sports backpack that expands, and has a waterproof lining,that I found at a thrift store, when I was in there with the Wife. I removed most of the straps, and attached it to a thin board that I shaped like the quick detach bottom of the trunk, It flattens out to almost nothing, but expands huge. It's removable with just one wingnut, just like the trunk. I can remove it, and put the trunk on in just seconds, but I like the bag more. I just seen a trunk, and windshield, and a few other things off of a Honda on marketplace, for a $100, but I know the guy, and could probably get it all for $75. I was tempted, because it looks like the rack may bolt up just like the passenger grabs on the Hawk, but I think I am satisfied with what I have now. https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/i...1395466239201/
Here is the bag ,both expanded, and flat.
http://
http://

Last edited by Bill Hilly; 08-12-2023 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Picture

Old 08-14-2023, 10:29 PM   #10

I think it’ll look great…

… left behind in a dried riverbed, after the damn thing jerks off and jumps ship when you dig into it and throw down some torque.
Honda CB350
Honda CL450
Tyrion the Pit Bike
KTM 890 Adventure S

Old 08-15-2023, 10:12 AM   #11

I don't think some of you guys are getting it. It's sole purpose is to be like a sissy bar/backrest for the wife when we take the RV camping and the bike tags along. The rest of the time she has no interest in riding with me on this particular bike so the trunk can and will stay on the shelf.

Old 08-15-2023, 10:23 AM   #12

I get it. That was the only way I could get my wife on my bike. Either a sissy bar or a truck. That why I have the one I have on my Hawk. I'm thinking about getting another base plate so I can swap it to the KPX if needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180922_091125.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	29915   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180922_113120.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	29916  
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 08-15-2023, 11:10 AM   #13

It was the same for my girlfriend as well. When we went riding she always asked to put the top box on. Much more comfortable.

Old 08-15-2023, 11:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
I get it. That was the only way I could get my wife on my bike. Either a sissy bar or a truck. That why I have the one I have on my Hawk. I'm thinking about getting another base plate so I can swap it to the KPX if needed.
Can you just buy the base plates?

Old 08-15-2023, 11:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Can you just buy the base plates?
At one time you could. I haven't looked yet to see if the base is still available.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel