Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #1

Some Possible Upgrade Shocks

These are a couple of the FastAce shocks available on Ebay:

This one's 11 inch for a little lower seat height...
http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=8522

This one's 11.5 inch the same as the stock GY shocks...

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=8519

Available for 70-100 bucks. They look well made(for pitbike racing) and should be easy to adapt for our bikes. Anyone tried any of these??

Old 05-27-2008, 06:42 AM   #2

Might be making a purchase of one of these, soon.

Let you guys know how it goes. :wink:

Old 05-27-2008, 06:52 AM   #3

Trave Distance allowed by stock rear shock

BTW, these shocks seem to all have a travel distance spec of 70mm. That sound like a good improvememt over the stock GY shocks.

Does anyone know the actual TD of the stock shock? 50, 60mm maybe. Don't think its 70mm or is it :(

Old 05-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #4

Having done A LOT of rear shock research and design on my Roketa, I would NOT suggest you go this route. The chinese shocks you are looking at are crap. Been there and done that. The extra shock travel will not help you any as the stock shock linkage cannot make use of it. Lastly these shocks are made to mount directly to the swing arm of a pit bike. The geometry is all wrong and they would be too softly sprung and valved for our DS bikes. I'd put your money elsewhere..

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 05-27-2008, 08:37 AM   #5

Thanks Red,

Not what i hoped to hear

Did you try the Fastace brand or one of the others??

How much travel would the stock linkage allow??

Old 05-27-2008, 09:05 AM   #6

Actually, I did not try the Fastace brand. Maybe they are better. Where are they made? I didn't look closely enough at your links. Sorry :? . The trouble is the stock linkage on our bikes only allows for about 3 - 4 inches of travel before the linkage is fully extended and binds. Your best bet is to either do away with the linkage and run a shock right off the top of the swingarm like from a KTM racer, or do what I did and build your own linkages. Unless you really have good fabbing skills and knowledge, neither of these is a good option. The rear suspension of these bikes is a real weak spot. I don't know if they have changed it for the newer models or not. As an FYI, here's what I did to my Roketa. 2300 miles and still working great.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...cker+installed

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
Actually, I did not try the Fastace brand. Maybe they are better. Where are they made? I didn't look closely enough at your links. Sorry :? . The trouble is the stock linkage on our bikes only allows for about 3 - 4 inches of travel before the linkage is fully extended and binds. Your best bet is to either do away with the linkage and run a shock right off the top of the swingarm like from a KTM racer, or do what I did and build your own linkages. Unless you really have good fabbing skills and knowledge, neither of these is a good option. The rear suspension of these bikes is a real weak spot. I don't know if they have changed it for the newer models or not. As an FYI, here's what I did to my Roketa. 2300 miles and still working great.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...cker+installed
These are also Chinese-made, but these are air adjustable as well as preload adjustable and CNC machined al alloy parts. The springs are 12mm just like ours. The travel is nearly 3X of ours and the aluminum eyelets should drill out nicely for those with 12mm bolts.

Yeah, they're made for direct mount pit-bike swingarms, but if the spring loading of 1000-1200lbs/inch travel is enough for our bikes with one on board, it might help us out some.

Maybe someone can fab a cantelever set to match these to our frames for the full 7-8'' of swingarm travel. :wink:

Anyway, this stock shock is SO bad it really scares me :x

Old 05-27-2008, 02:25 PM   #8

Bad shock

Please explain to me what is so bad about the standard shock. I haven't jumped my bike or went heavy off-road with it yet to notice any huge problems. It seems to absorb most of the bumps in the road and I would think that that is pretty much all we need?

The other day I hit a pot hole in a very sharp turn. I thought I was going to go down, but was pleasantly surprised that I made it. The bike shifted a little bit to the outside,but that was it. I guess that was thanks to the front shocks.

What's the opinion of the front shocks?
'94-'95 Honda CB650
'90-'93 Honda MT5 and MB5

Old 05-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #9

The rear suspension is notorious for "blowing out" under moderate stress. 8O

The shock itself only give an inch or so travel. Translated to the swingarm and linkage, that's only about 3 inches of travel. Which is OK for street riding, but the minute u go offroad that won't be enough.

There is enough room in the rear wheel well for about 7-8 inches of travel which is mor typical of modern monoshocked dirtbikes and enduros. :x

Some riders have adapted their bikes to use various Japanese tried and true shocks.

I'd like to find a way to replace the stock road shock with a more dirt friendly one and do it in a way that any of us can easily and inexpensively do this to our bikes.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #10

Re: Bad shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_200gy
What's the opinion of the front shocks?
The front shocks are really good for offroad IMO just as they are.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #11

this have the same shock assembly as the pure dirt versions? I have been flying on mine and had no problem what so ever with it.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurkia
this have the same shock assembly as the pure dirt versions? I have been flying on mine and had no problem what so ever with it.
No.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #13

We know the Chinese enduros for the most part have this defective rear suspension linkage. However, there have been some newer bikes with improved designs and that some of the dirtbikes seem to have worked fine.

So, i wonder if any of the ones with these good designs will have link parts/shocks that will fit the problematic bikes.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #14

My bike seems to take it good, i have got 3 or 4 feet of air + off ditches it seems like the spring in it is HUGE

Old 05-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveJ
My bike seems to take it good, i have got 3 or 4 feet of air + off ditches it seems like the spring in it is HUGE
Dave,

Which bike do you have?