Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2008, 11:12 AM   #1

Engine hot in Traffic Jam

So, I was stuck in a traffic jam. Every minute of so, we would inch forward a bit in a totally miserable fashion. I, with my full face helmet and a nylon jacket, was getting overheated. The engine also was getting hotter and hotter. I can feel it. Since I don't have a temperature gauge, I don't know how hot the engine actually was. Should I worry about it? What happens if the engine get too hot? Will it permanent damage it? I know that in car engines, overheating them is a very, very bad thing. So, I wanted to lane split, to get some air on the engine, but cagers here generally fly into rage when motorcyclists do that. Besides, I don't feel comfortable doing that when my bike has such wide handlebar and mirrors.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:39 PM   #2

When I was waiting in line at the border for 45 minutes (on my liquid cooled vulcan mind you), I turned the bike off and pushed it forward when the cars crept ahead.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #3

Fortunately I don't get into that kind of traffic often, but I like the shut it off idea.

Allen

Old 05-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #4

Yes you can do damage and yes I would agree to shut it off. Without air moving over the cooling fins, you are baking it by just setting there. To answer your question though, eventually if it gets hot enough it will seize the engine.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 05-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #5

At what point do I need to shut it off? I mean, how do I know it's getting too hot?

Old 05-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #6

I never let the bike sit and idle for more than ten minutes or so unless it was warming up. I was probably being overly cautious but thats just me

Old 05-24-2008, 02:24 PM   #7

You might want to change your oil and when doing so you might be able to tell via smell if it has been cooked. Also when a engine starts to overheat it will lose noticible power before it siezes up. When you were able to give it a little gas did you notice any power loss? If you didn't then I doubt it was hot enough to do engine damage. If it did lose power then damage may have occured, but that would depend on the quality of the metal of the engine componants. Keep in mind that (at least the japanese dirtbikes) they are designed to be covered in mud and still take a beating all day long, so hopefully your bike is ok. I had a DR350 and I probably cooked that engine a half a dozen times where the engine would give off an odor, kinda like a burning clutch or brakes and it lasted 12,000 (mostly off road) miles before I had to have new rings and the cylinder honed out. I do like the idea of shutting off your motor and just pushing with your feet while in stop-n-go traffic. Good luck.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
At what point do I need to shut it off? I mean, how do I know it's getting too hot?
I'm far from an expert, but I think if you sit long enough to feel the heat soaking into your pants leg...don't wait too much longer to shut it down. Depending on the situation, that might be 10 minutes...or maybe just 5.

I won't lane split. I might consider the shoulder, but only if I'm really desperate.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 05-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #9

Also you could buy one of those point-n-shoot temperature readers from ebay and keep it with you and check it every now and then.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #10

If you are gonna have to run much city traffic, I'd invest in one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-Blue-On-...QQcmdZViewItem

I run them on my Nitro RC cars. The wire lead just mounts on the head and reads the temp. It gives a digital readout. Then you could get a baseline temp and when it starts to creap up in traffic you could shut it down.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 05-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #11

Just as an aside, I've found with the ATVs at least, when they get really good and baked, i.e. sitting idling for extended periods, or torquing up a long hill in first, etc. I've found that they develop a very distinct low speed ping when they're getting good and hot. I kinda figure, no ping, no problem. (Ping even more distinct with the "knothead mod.")

--Vince

Old 05-24-2008, 10:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003

I run them on my Nitro RC cars. The wire lead just mounts on the head and reads the temp. It gives a digital readout. Then you could get a baseline temp and when it starts to creap up in traffic you could shut it down.
That's cool. I have not seen those...I'm in Texas too and it gets hot..I have seen the temprature Stickers...I just don't know how well they work.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:45 AM   #13

what type of oil do you run in it :?:

check the viscosity of it , thats the brake down point (heat) thats usualy about ? 250, 350, 500, degrees something like that , or higher ? look on the bottle for an 800 # for questions and give them a call , they'll tell you at what temp the oil starts to break down, if its way up there like 1000 deg. then i would'nt worry, but just for safety shut it off and get some leg excersize

Old 05-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003

RED How long is the wire to the Sensor on this gauge...Would you be able to mount it up on your handle bars and still mount the sensor on the motor? ALso what is the highest Temp it will read?

Old 05-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #15

Different companies make then in different lengths. The Traxxas models like I posted are about a foot long, so you'd have to mount in down on the bodywork somewhere. Do a google search for "on board temp guage". I believe I have seen them with leads upwards of 18 inches long. That would be close!