Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2023, 04:54 PM   #1

Clutch springs weak ?

I know a lot of people change the clutch pack springs, but I never have on my bikes. The Brozz that I had would make a little chirp on the first take off of the day, and not do it again until it sat overnight, and my TBR7 has did the same thing since I got it with 425 kilometers on it. My Hawk doesn't make any chirp, and the clutch handle has a good bit more resistance on it when pulling it, compared to the TBR7, which is far lighter. The levers look the same, so does that mean the springs have always been weaker in the TBR7? I haven't had the Brozz for a while, and can't remember how it felt, but I must have thought it felt normal, and would probably think the TBR7 feels normal too, if I hadn't been riding the Hawk. The Hawk is several years older than the Brozz, and TBR7, so could they be using different springs?
I should mention that I weigh around 250 in regular clothes.

Old 02-22-2023, 07:19 AM   #2

It's hard to judge on just the springs alone. There are variations on the pressure plates and their spring count. Anywhere from 4 to 6. The cable could need lubrication, or the lever pivot, causing the handle to feel stiffer.

As for the chirp issue, it's possible there may be something going goofy with the clutch. Only way to know is to dig in.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 02-22-2023, 07:56 AM   #3

My Storm clutch squawks periodically when starting out in first. Same engine as Brozz and Hawk. It has done that since day one. I figure it's the plates. It doesn't slip at all when engaged. I have assumed that a new set of better plates would eliminate the squawk. I thought it might break in and stop doing it, but it still does it.

It sounds like your chirp is a less severe symptom of the same thing. It's like the plates vibrate/jitter due to some minor misalignment or poor (loose) tolerances on the basket assembly.

Last edited by Thumper; 02-22-2023 at 10:46 AM.