Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2022, 01:04 AM   #1

Rear Tire - How Big Can I Go?

Time for a rear tire replacement on my Storm 250 (pretty much like a Hawk). Stock size is 110/90-17. I'd like to go bigger - anyone know how big I can go?

Old 11-19-2022, 08:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraclepieco View Post
Time for a rear tire replacement on my Storm 250 (pretty much like a Hawk). Stock size is 110/90-17. I'd like to go bigger - anyone know how big I can go?
I put a 130/90-17 Tusk DSport on my Storm. It is still under $70 for that awesome tire. It has chain clearance, no problem (close!). This tire is fantastic on the Storm. But it is also great on the pavement for a knobby. I think it is the flattened area in the center of the tire, the oversized blocks and slightly closer spacing. But these characteristics do not effect off road performance. As I say, fantastic.

Name:  SmTuskMounted.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  198.4 KB

Name:  sidebyside.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  183.6 KB

Old 11-22-2022, 08:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I put a 130/90-17 Tusk DSport on my Storm. It is still under $70 for that awesome tire. It has chain clearance, no problem (close!). This tire is fantastic on the Storm. But it is also great on the pavement for a knobby. I think it is the flattened area in the center of the tire, the oversized blocks and slightly closer spacing. But these characteristics do not effect off road performance. As I say, fantastic.
Thanks man, just the info I needed. I really wanted a 130 but didn't know if it would fit.

How much air pressure do you run in that?

Old 11-23-2022, 07:50 AM   #4

This tire grips like superglue on the rim. Just make sure the rim is clean, no oil or soap residue when you mount the tire. Even without rimlocks, I can drop the pressure to below 20psi without worrying about shredding the tube. It is a stiff tire. But I generally run higher than that. It depends on the conditions.