Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2022, 07:39 AM   #1

an observation and about to buy!

Maybe the importers made a mistake in the way they marketed these bikes when they started out. They look like badass dirt bikes, so people treated them that way, often to their detriment. If the importers had perhaps promoted the bikes as being tools and more utilitarian, the overall reception would have been different. In any case, the bikes are here and they are inexpensive, and I am about to purchase a new Hawk DLX 250 EFI. Why? Because I am having another mid-life crisis (#2) and I'm bored with video games.

Last edited by Zapkin; 11-17-2022 at 09:32 AM. Reason: went off topic

Old 11-17-2022, 08:04 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on hitting midlife crisis #2!!!

Please read through JerryHawk250's thread on his KPX250 before you order the Hawk DLX. Read through the other KPX250 threads also. The 6th gear and true 250cc is sweet! Build quality is excellent. If I was in the market for a dual sport right now, I'd have a KPX in my stable. :-)
2021 CSC TT250 - White (Daughter's) "Gemini"

Old 11-17-2022, 08:16 AM   #3

I agree.. too many other options lately, weigh your options.. Titan DLX, Templar X (6-speed) are also great as are the Brozz, Storm and some others as low cost options if you don't have to have FI and can make some initial carb tweaks - after that its set and forget

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 11-17-2022, 08:25 AM   #4

not sure what your budget is, but echo above. look for one that is a 249.9cc and 6 speed if you plan any country road riding. That 6th gear will do wonders for lowering the RPMs a bit at higher speeds. With my hawk, I was really pushing the revs to get 60. and that's after sprocket changes. Get the KPX if you can afford it. if not, I'd go with the Templar X.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:26 AM   #5

I am choosing this particular bike because of the cost and availability of a layaway plan @ q9powersports. They seem to offer the best overall deal right now on something like this.

thanks guys. also..bout 2000 is all i can swing.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:28 AM   #6

Also, top speed is not super important to me. Lowering gear ratio will be immediate though, for comfort level. I am only going to be puttering around town and on backroads..no real offroad. I don't mind tinkering a little. I had a 07 GY-5 years ago.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:39 AM   #7

I was going to buy a Hawk DLX based on the plethora of YouTube videos. But then I came here and learned about the new 6-speed Templar X 250s they just started importing. The frame being a massive upgrade to others and built tough to take abuse I gave up EFI for carburetor but gained imho so much more in return in capabilities including fully adjustable dual-adjustable front forks and fully adjustable dual-adjustable rear suspension shock. I am gearing mine for general putting around town as well. Out of the box these are monsters for off road with very low gearing. Price is under 1,900. With shipping it goes a hair above 2K. They come a lot more pre assembled now with the latest imported batch so the assembly video on YouTube is the older imports that you needed to install forks etc., that today is installed already out if the box.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 11-17-2022, 08:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Price is under 1,900. With shipping it goes a hair above 2K.
I appreciate the suggestion but I need a place with at least a 6 month Layaway plan.

also I need a street legal bike.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
I am gearing mine for general putting around town as well. Out of the box these are monsters for off road with very low gearing.
Are aftermarket parts like the front and rear sprockets necessary to make that happen easy to get? I see amazon loaded with hawk parts for cheap. I am just curious is there is a similar level of support for the Templar X.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:02 AM   #10

But the mfg of these motorcycles don't sell them as dirt bikes. They are sold as on/off motorcycles, which is what they are and they are quite capable as that.

The problem is that people think they are getting a mx motorcycle that they can use to do insanes jumps.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:13 AM   #11

Ok this post is Marketing so keep in mind street legal is defined by each state so you need to make sure anything conforms to your own state’s requirement.

Texas Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements

Texas requires motorcycles to have:

- Rearview mirrors.
- Handlebars not higher than 15” above seat.
- Passenger footrests and handholds when riding with a passenger.
- Daytime headlights.
- Horn.

Templar X 250 comes with those out of the box and rear brake light and front and rear turn signals and a liscense plate holder. The company is in California and does not guarantee each customer will register their bike as each states requirements are different.

OEM parts go through powersportsmax who get them direct from manufacturer. Amazon gets you all the plethora of other parts like sprockets, chains, cable and lines, carb jet kits, you name it. My new rear sprocket arrived yesterday to change my off road monster into a lower revving higher street speed putting around town bike, that was from Amazon. Templar X 250’s also come from factory with rim locks installed which if doing mostly street you take off or if mostly doing off road you keep on.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Last edited by Texas Pete; 11-17-2022 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old 11-17-2022, 09:14 AM   #12

I guess you "could" do insane jumps with these bikes and then have a host of parts you'll need to replace lol

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 11-17-2022, 09:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
I appreciate the suggestion but I need a place with at least a 6 month Layaway plan.

also I need a street legal bike.
All of the Templar bikes have been street legal since they showed up last year. In fact, Geico insured both of mine with no problem. Registration and plating went smoothly.

PSM might actually work with you on the financing, but the more important question is what kind of bike you want. If the Hawk is right for you, buy it.

People get passionate about the bike they bought. My choices have been based on specs and the type of motorcycle I want. I don't own stock in Zuumav, Lifan, Bashshan... and I don't care what you buy. My goal is to answer your questions and help you make the right decision, for YOU, not me.

Beware of "buy this because I am happy with mine" !!!

Old 11-17-2022, 09:36 AM   #14

Templar seems a bit much for me at this moment. 2500 is a big deal compared to 2000 and the knobbies are gonna wear out on concrete..they are super aggressive. The seat looks very skimpy and I am a big fella. It just feels too dirtbike for me when I look at it. Despite the obvious improvements I am still leaning toward the Hawk. Man..I am indecisive!!! but that being said, easy payments are most important. My credit just got back to zero and so financing is not an option..I have to use layaway.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:38 AM   #15

Powersportsmax has a layaway plan listed on their website.