Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2022, 09:19 PM   #1

Preventative spoke maintenance ?

I am on the TBR7 Facebook group, and a lot of people have trouble with ruined rims. I asked if the rims on these bikes were somehow flawed, and if they were less quality than other steel rims on Chinese dual sports. I was informed that they must be properly torqued. I do occasionally just go around, and make sure none are loose, and that they all sound about right. That's what I did on my Brozz 250 as well. It never had a loose spoke, and as of the last check neither had my TBR7. I asked the guy that said they needed torqued, if he meant just to make sure they seem tight, and sound right,. And he responded,. "Yes, they needed torqued" . I don't really know if he was meaning that the torqued actually be measured , or if he was saying " Yes" to the method I have been practicing. How do you folks maintain you spokes, and rims ? Thanks

Old 10-16-2022, 09:42 PM   #2

never tighten a spoke in my life.

Old 10-16-2022, 10:17 PM   #3

Well.... I'm no authority but I bought a torque wrench for the purpose and used it on my new bike. It threw everything out of true, which after doing it I was like duh, that was stupid.

To keep true the spokes are tightened differently. If you tighten them all the same it pulls out of true (unless you are extraordinarily lucky). And yes I did work my way around the rim slowly bringing them up to torque progressively 1/4 turn at a time, with the 2-spoke skipping method. I also lubed all the spokes which are brand new anyway.

So I don't know but I snugged them good, then I trued it and mounted it up. Some of the spokes are 25-30ft-lbs, but some of them are looser. I'll ride it, then inspect it for any loose spokes and snug them up if they are loose. After they all set into place I might pull the wheel and try to get the rest of them close to torque and check them on my balancing stand to make sure the wheel is still true.

The bottom line is the wheel needs to be round and straight and the absolute spoke torque settings are secondary to

Old 10-17-2022, 08:59 AM   #4

kev is right, it isn't a torque specification:

Spokes don't just hold the wheel onto the hub. Wheels are "trued" by adjusting spoke length. They keep the wheel round and straight. Truing is kind of an art, but you can usually find an expert at a good bike shop.

I've had my bicycle wheels trued many times. Same thing, just heavier duty. In the old days before "wheels", truing skills were more common.

Old 10-17-2022, 09:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
kev is right, it isn't a torque specification:

Spokes don't just hold the wheel onto the hub. Wheels are "trued" by adjusting spoke length. They keep the wheel round and straight. Truing is kind of an art, but you can usually find an expert at a good bike shop.

I've had my bicycle wheels trued many times. Same thing, just heavier duty. In the old days before "wheels", truing skills were more common.
So am I best to just keep checking for loose spokes, and doing the " sound check" ?

Old 10-17-2022, 10:20 AM   #6

You could get a pro line rim, one made out of very special alloy, the same rims used by the pro.
YET
If the spokes are properly adjusted you will destroy the rim.

From what i have seen in the forums, not many shops in the US are fond to work on chinese motorcycles.
I would take the wheels off. Got to a shop and tell them "yes they are from an old honda XL that i got second hand can you check the spokes for me??".

Old 10-17-2022, 06:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
So am I best to just keep checking for loose spokes, and doing the " sound check" ?
I suggest you take some time and tension the spokes equally. Start at the valve stem and tension near spoke and count spokes to 7 and tension spoke, continue around the rim. Continue until all spokes are fairly evenly tensioned, listen for the sound. The reason for uneven spoke tensioning is it evenly distributes tension around the rim to ease truing and balance. Do both rims and go for a ride. Ride quality and handling should be improved. Good luck. You should only have to do this a couple times if done thoroughly.

Old 10-17-2022, 07:32 PM   #8

Truing a wheel is a measured process. Pacific Mike demonstrates The up/down, and the left/right adjustments. You need to do this with the no tire on the wheel. A truing stand isn't that expensive, but if you want to have a round wheel that does not wobble, you need a truing stand.

There are many youtube videos showing how people approach this.
Here is a dirt bike wheel build

Maybe you can just get the wheel off the ground (tire still mounted) like this guy on the dirt bike wheel, and use the swing arm or forks as a truing stand. You can't just tighten loose spokes and end up with a true wheel. You've got to spin the wheel and observe how true it is.

Pacific Mike DOES torque them, but he also checks them after torquing.

Old 10-18-2022, 01:12 AM   #9

I've never had to tighten any of mine but have noticed some of the nipples starting to rust.

Old 10-18-2022, 07:46 PM   #10

People that don't check spokes... scary.

For me, I do the old school process of tone. A properly tensioned spoke should come close to a middle C note. I just give them the occasional tap test and if a few start to sound dull or flat, I give them a snug up and check again. The more aggressive the knobs on the tire, the more often it is a good idea to check spoke tension due to the vibrations.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 10-19-2022, 08:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post

For me, I do the old school process of tone. A properly tensioned spoke should come close to a middle C note. I just give them the occasional tap test and if a few start to sound dull or flat, I give them a snug up and check again. The more aggressive the knobs on the tire, the more often it is a good idea to check spoke tension due to the vibrations.
After reading all the posts about spoke issues I took it upon myself to pack the wheel bearings and true/tension the spokes before I installed them on the bike. Both wheels the spokes were horribly loose when I first looked, now snugged all around, trued and make the "music". New bikes MUST have the spokes tensioned and trued when received or you're asking for trouble down the line. Good luck, keep checking, especially after a tough ride. I also recommend balancing the wheel/tire while you're on the truing/balancing stand to minimize said vibrations.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post

Sounds like the same technic i use. But yeah, check the spokes regularly. The don't have to be gorilla tight. Just snug them up so they are not loose. A quick plink on the spoke will tell which ones are loose.
2022 Lifan KPX250
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-19-2022, 06:54 PM   #13

Nope never, TBR7 4000 miles and all is good.

Old 10-20-2022, 08:53 AM   #14

I'll wait for that "Where can I find a TBR7 rim?" thread. lol As megadan and i described, it's a quick check and snug up the loose spokes. Just go over to the Hawk FB page and see how many busted up front rims you find on there.

At least the OP is looking for good advise which we should be giving.
2022 Lifan KPX250
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-20-2022, 09:56 AM   #15

Does anyone know what size the spokes nipples (pardon my French.LOL) are on the TBR7 ? I figure the Hawk is the same size. I see a lot of sub $10.00 spoke wrenches. Some are open end on both ends, with each jaw fitting about 3 sizes,and resemble a bow tie, and some are round rings with several notches. I searched on Amazon, specifically for motorcycle spoke wrenches, but bicycle wrenches also came up in the search.