Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2008, 12:58 AM   #1

Part Confirmation - and a great afternoon!

Greetings Fellow Riders!

I can verify, by way of replacement, that the drive pins on my bike (Runmaster XT200GY) can be replaced by Honda parts. While going over the bolts of my wife's bike, I checked the sprocket drive pin nuts. I had one shear off without much issue. I took one of the good ones down to my local HKY dealer, and showed them what I wanted. I think by a bit of shear luck...haha shear luck.. get it, shear.. oh never mind... the guy behind the parts counter knew what I had in my hand. He said that Honda used these for a bunch of years on several models. He looked up the parts for a 1980 XL185S and got the part number. Although he said they didn't have that number in stock, he went in the back and came back with a box of drive pins. I had taken my digital calipers with me and the parts he produced came in at a diameter of 9.1mm. The part off my bike was 9.0 mm. Length and thread all matched. Thread is 10mm X 1.25 pitch BTW. I bought all he had. $4.75 each X 6, but now I have some spares. Came home replaced the pin, and put the bike back together. Lubed a bunch of pivots and fixed some wiring issues, and put about 12 miles on the bike. I can honestly say, I haven't had that much fun going so slow in a long time! Everyone got a quick ride, I got to put some break in miles on the bike, and I'm now going to be looking for a china bike for me!
I also got a pretty good 'dig' in on one of the parts guys today. After working with the first guy (who was totally cool with me using 'parts' to fix my 'bike') to get my parts, the young guy behind the counter started giving me crap about having an "off-brand' bike. I told them that yes, the quality isn't quite there, but its getting close, the younger guy said, well I hope they never get there, or we'll (meaning the name brand guys) be out of a job. I just looked at him and said, you know, I could have gotten these parts a little cheaper off the web, but I like supporting my local business people, and if more dealers started carrying these bikes, and more people started riding these bikes, as someone who has a job selling parts to people who are riding these bikes, should you really care about what they are riding so long as they are BUYING PARTS for them and PAYING your salary? He had nothing to say after that.... hehe
Yes, today WAS a good day.
Ride on!
NV
P.S. - I lost the little tag that had the part number for the pins in my truck, but I'll find it and post it in the PARTS thread.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #2

SOunds like a good day...Congrats.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #3

Drive Pin Part #

OK guys,

I found my receipt. The parts are listed as:

90128-382-670 - BOLT,SPRKT,FIXING

NV

Old 05-16-2008, 11:37 PM   #4

Re: Drive Pin Part #

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvbigblue