Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #1

lifan or hi bird?

So im 100% set on buying a bike on monday. from what i have read online it seems that lifan is the superior bike that comes from china. But Browsing through the forums on here i have noticed that the hi bird is very popular. I need some in put on what bike i should get, the extra power of a 250 would be nice but if the lifan is a much more solid ride than that is the bike i want. anything will help thanks guys.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:53 PM   #2

If you don't mind a smaller gas tank (1.4 gallons vs 3) then I'd go with the Hi Bird. Bigger engine, cheaper, and just as good quality IMO.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 05-10-2008, 08:58 PM   #3

is this what you have? have you seen both in person?

Old 05-10-2008, 09:22 PM   #4

That 1.4 gallon gas tank means having to refill every 70 miles or so. That sux.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #5

Clarke makes over a hundred styles of large gas tanks in several colors including "clear". Just have to figure out which "big 4" the Hi-Bird is closest to. They're a couple hundred bucks though, but bigger than Lifan's.

The 250 Hi-Birds cost between $1,100 to $1,300 delivery included!
The ones that vbike.us sells are supposed to have a 1 year powertrain warranty.

How much is that Lifan? How much would it cost to get it up to the same HP of the Bird? Would those mods void the warranty? IS there a warranty?

Are you sure it's an American Lifan? Otherwise parts might be hard to get.
Only the AL bikes have factory warranty, and they don't seem to want to supply Lifan parts for bikes not bought thru them.
How good that warranty is seems to depend on the dealer.

How about the Skygo brand of Lifans that Hooper sells?

Old 05-11-2008, 12:45 AM   #6

well i have been on the american lifan website and they told me what website to go through in order to get a real american lifan. im more concerned about the build quality than anything. i guess the main thing im wondering is do you get more with a lifan because you pay more?

Old 05-11-2008, 03:24 AM   #7

You should really try to search these forums for who has had problems with either kinds. Type in "Hi-Bird" and "Lifan" and see what ya get.

Most of the Hi-Bird problems I've seen discussed had more to do with
set-up.

And all the Lifan's problems could be because it's a more popular brand.

Hopefully owners of each will speak up.
Trust the word of owners, not sellers.

I'm neither. And if I can't get a 300cc XTM, I'll probably go 250 Hi-Bird.

Start a'searchin' ! And good luck no matter what!

Old 05-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMoose
You should really try to search these forums for who has had problems with either kinds. Type in "Hi-Bird" and "Lifan" and see what ya get.

Most of the Hi-Bird problems I've seen discussed had more to do with
set-up.

And all the Lifan's problems could be because it's a more popular brand.

Hopefully owners of each will speak up.
Trust the word of owners, not sellers.

I'm neither. And if I can't get a 300cc XTM, I'll probably go 250 Hi-Bird.

:!: please be patient

Start a'searchin' ! And good luck no matter what!

Old 05-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to GY_Racing
I was looking on vbikes.com It looks like the bird is a very cheap edition of the "Komoto" and the Komoto is the same price as the Lifan. The bird has drum brakes, old style shocks, different engine, exc. I would spend the $200 extra and get the more expensive Komoto, that's what I plan on doing, its well worth the extra money.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GY_Racing
I was looking on vbikes.com It looks like the bird is a very cheap edition of the "Komoto" and the Komoto is the same price as the Lifan. The bird has drum brakes, old style shocks, different engine, exc. I would spend the $200 extra and get the more expensive Komoto, that's what I plan on doing, its well worth the extra money.
I didn't think you liked those Evil Knevil Stars? :roll:

2007 HI-BIRD 250
2007 Vbike V4S 250

Old 05-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to GY_Racing
Yea, I think I can handle taking the flames and stars stickers off. Other then that it does look like a nice bike at least the new edition "Komoto"

Old 05-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #12

just a thought but it seems to me that this statement is just a bit condecending? ( prolly spelled wrong ) GY_Racing wrote:
My wife and i both own the HI-BIRD ( old style ) and have been extremely pleased with the quality and performance of this series of bikes. Also the Bird does use the same engine as the Komoto. Only difference between the 2 bikes are the front forks , the rear brake and the badging. Beyond that the specs are identical for both styles of bikes.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #13

I wouldn't based my buying decision on rather a bike has drum brakes or disk brakes. I used to think disk brakes are superior, but my rear drum brake is really powerful. My Honda has drum brakes on the front and the rear, and it stops better than my disk brake on my Hi Bird.

Again, the inverted fork is suppose to be superior, but it is more prone to leakage problem. I prefer my inferior, but more reliable, fork on my Hi Bird.

For me, I got the bike that I want for $200 less by choosing Hi Bird over the Komoto.

About the 250cc engine, it's a lot more powerful than I had expected. In fact, for me this engine is over kill because I don't ride freeway and I don't ride like a squid. My bike is just a simple way to get to-and-from work. I'm now wondering if I should have gotten the 200cc Lifan because it has a much larger gas tank and it looks to be simplier to service. I think the extra size of the 250cc engine prevents a larger gas tank from being used. Having to refill on gas every third day is a pain.

If I start racing motoX and riding trails a lot, my opinion of the 250cc might well change. I guess it just depends on your needs.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #14

so from what im gathering is that the hi bird's 50cc's extra actually makes a big power difference? is vbike a reliable place to order from? and how long does it take to get the mso and what not from them?

Old 05-11-2008, 01:08 PM   #15

Vbike and its warehouse are located in Oklahoma. They tape the MSO and Bill of Sale on the bike in the crate. So, you would get everything in the same day. I didn't have any issue with the bike (except gas tank size) or registration in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakembakem
so from what im gathering is that the hi bird's 50cc's extra actually makes a big power difference? is vbike a reliable place to order from? and how long does it take to get the mso and what not from them?