Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2022, 08:28 AM   #1

TBR7 Clutch Adjustment

Trying to dial in my clutch adjustment on new bike. If it's difficult to up shift does that suggest my clutch adjustment is tight or lose? I'm thinking lose? I understand the concept of the clutch adjustment. My challenge is the take up spring is really strong so it's difficult for me to tell when the take up spring tension ends and the clutch spring tension begins.
I don't want to wear out the clutch because of poor adjustment. I could pull the the case cover and visually confirm when the clutch spring disengages but, would prefer not to.
Milwaukee, WI

Old 03-22-2022, 02:10 PM   #2

Have you changed the shipping oil that came with it? This is a wet clutch from engine oil so it needs proper lubrication (with an oil set up for wet clutch).
Also, you should be looking at actual clutch engagement at the engine first, make sure it travel the full path, then adjusting smaller adjustments on the clutch lever.
If you have difficulty shifting it is either not fully engaged, the oil is trash, or the bike is just breaking in (they get much easier as time goes on).

Also, it will stretch the cable as the bike goes through it's first few heat cycles and you'll have to adjust it again.

Old 03-22-2022, 04:25 PM   #3

The clutch adjustment on these cg motors has always been a bit finicky in my experience. The release point is vague at best, and the clutch fade issue once it gets some heat in it changes the adjustment as well thanks to clutch fade.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-22-2022, 04:28 PM   #4

The clutch adjustment on these cg motors has always been a bit finicky in my experience. The release point is vague at best, and the clutch fade issue once it gets some heat in it changes the adjustment as well. The CSC TT250 clutch adjustment guide found in their tutorial section might help. Otherwise, just keep at it.

Besides, even if you do hurt the clutch a new clutch is cheap.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Last edited by Megadan; 03-22-2022 at 10:26 PM.

Old 03-22-2022, 06:42 PM   #5

Thx Megadan and Kyle for chiming in. Yes, changed oil before 1st start. Using Rotella T4, 15W-30. I'll just keep at it. Maybe remove the cover so I can confirm what's happening at the clutch. Hearing the clutch replacement isn't a big ticket item I'm less concerned. That said, I would lke to be able to run it through the gears and find Neutral without having multiple attempts to change gears.
Milwaukee, WI

Old 03-24-2022, 12:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nospark View Post
Thx Megadan and Kyle for chiming in. Yes, changed oil before 1st start. Using Rotella T4, 15W-30. I'll just keep at it. Maybe remove the cover so I can confirm what's happening at the clutch. Hearing the clutch replacement isn't a big ticket item I'm less concerned. That said, I would lke to be able to run it through the gears and find Neutral without having multiple attempts to change gears.
finding neutral is the evil curse of this trans :P I still find myself click through 1/2 once or twice at a redlight even with a few thousand miles on this thing.

Old 03-25-2022, 12:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nospark View Post
Not being able to find neutral is normal for these bikes. Mine seems a little better after 600 miles but I still fight with it. If it's too loose it will be hard to downshift when not moving.
To whoever stole my anti-depressants.
I Hope Your Happy !

Old 03-28-2022, 12:53 PM   #8

Thanks, "too loose it will be hard to downshift when not moving"
That's the kind of input a guy can put to good use. We better be careful with this type of sharing or people will think this is a helpful community.
Milwaukee, WI

Old 03-28-2022, 05:16 PM   #9

so true ,always check here 1st.