Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #1

CDI - 163FML - 169FML

I have a Shineray XY200GYE 200cc with a 163FML pushrod motor with a 17/46 setup. I have done 8,000Km on the 163FML pushrod motor. I use my Shineray for commuting 130km (65km each way) every day that is 95% highway use. I live 65km outside of Wellington, New Zealand and commute to work every day. As some of you may know, it can get very windy around here. When I have a head wind, I can be knocked back to 80km/h. I try to stick to 110km/h but this is not always easy to do with head winds. When I have a tail wind, I can get up to 120 - 125km/h. I am 6'4" and weigh about 135kg.

I bought a 169FML pushrod motor that come with the wiring loom, stock CDI and carb, for my YZ project. I found that when riding flat out, the bike would miss a few times a day so I tried the stock CDI that came with the 169FML. The bike miss fires a lot less, maybe twice a week but nothing worth mentioning.

I wanted to try the new 169FML and also do the bolts upgrade (8mm to 10mm and 10mm - 12mm). I bought stainless steel bolts and drilled out the mounts to 10.5mm and 12.5mm respectfully and installed the 169FML.
The 169FML is a shorter stroke motor and seems smoother. I am able to cruse at 115km and don't have the same tappet noise I had with the 163FML when the motor warmed up. I adjusted the tappets on both motors to "finger tight" before locking them. I would say that the 163FML is bullet proof and to has proved to be so after doing 8,000km at full throttle (oil changes every 3 weeks - 10w40) but I feel that the 169FML delivers more power and is a better motor because you get less vibration and no tappet noise.

I wanted to buy the AMR Racing CDI unit and was looking at the stage 3 but form reading the forum, think that may not be a good idea. I have sent a few emails to AMR but they don't respond to my emails regarding shipping costs to New Zealand.

I was tempted to try the pickup mod to advance the timing but the AMR CDI unit sounded like a better way to go.

In conclusion, I think that the performance mods that people have tried and got different results come down to the type/model of the motor and the type of riding we all do! I need speed and power to be able to commute in windy conditions and maintain 100 - 110Km/h. I commute on the bike to save costs. For off road riding, I have a YZ250 which is a completely different bike.

I would still like to try the AMR Racing CDI stage 2 if I was able to get my hands on one! AMR Racing wanted to charge $500 for the shipping when I was using their online shopping cart and that’s where I stopped the sale, right then and there! If someone would like to buy one locally and post it to me at my cost, I would be happy to pay for it using paypal so you get your money straight away.

I would like to see a true comparison between these all the Chinese motors with and without all the mods! It seems as if a mod works well on one bike and not on another....

Old 05-07-2008, 08:13 PM   #2

tell you what I will do. since you are a member here for many moons and I am one heck of a nice guy, I will ship the stage 3 i bought to you...for...i reckon $250.00 shipping. That is a deal!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:22 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to GY_Racing
How can shipping be hundreds and hundreds of dollars for a very small light box? I know a guy a few blocks away that has a AMR on his and the bike screws out big time. I am actually going to buy one soon since riding his. As it is now im lucky to see over 65 but his goes right by 80 not even trying with plenty left. He said he sees around 90 but when I rode it I was too chicken to get it over 84. I am still kinda new to them so im still getting use to it. He also has different jets so I think im going to buy that first and then the box second. Are you still selling yours zap? I may be interested after I order the carb jets. How much do you want?

Old 05-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #4

might do that. not sure what move I am going to make yet. but will let you know soon.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapkin
tell you what I will do. since you are a member here for many moons and I am one heck of a nice guy, I will ship the stage 3 i bought to you...for...i reckon $250.00 shipping. That is a deal!
Seems like the Stage 3 is not the way to go... $250.00 shipping - tempting but I'll pass :wink:

Old 05-07-2008, 11:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GY_Racing
How can shipping be hundreds and hundreds of dollars for a very small light box? I know a guy a few blocks away that has a AMR on his and the bike screws out big time. I am actually going to buy one soon since riding his. As it is now im lucky to see over 65 but his goes right by 80 not even trying with plenty left. He said he sees around 90 but when I rode it I was too chicken to get it over 84. I am still kinda new to them so im still getting use to it. He also has different jets so I think im going to buy that first and then the box second. Are you still selling yours zap? I may be interested after I order the carb jets. How much do you want?
$500 for 1.1Ibs is the online price on AMR Racing website! I was just about to "check out" when I had to look twice at my "shopping cart" I thought I had miss clicked and added a Dodge Viper

Old 05-08-2008, 12:06 AM   #7

Hey, Dave. Photos of NZ would be nice. Take a camera on your commute.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-08-2008, 12:38 AM   #8

Got lots! where do you want me to post them?

Old 05-08-2008, 06:43 AM   #9

$500, WOW 8O

Hand delivered by astronaut via space shuttle, no dowt

Old 05-08-2008, 07:11 AM   #10

Old 05-08-2008, 07:15 AM   #11

This is the pin out and plug shape that my Shineray has - not sure if the AMR Racing one is the same?

Old 05-08-2008, 07:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
Hey, Dave. Photos of NZ would be nice. Take a camera on your commute.
I thought this may be a good place to start!
:wink:

Old 05-08-2008, 07:32 AM   #13

Just a few from Rotorua - New Zealand. These water/mud pools is boiling hot!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #14

This is the one I bought, it's for a Honda stock replacement but it has electronic advance. Probably not as much as a "racing" one but it still made a big difference. Ebay item number 350052132940.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...2940QQtcZphoto

They have a lot of others but that is the one I picked, works great. And they offer International shipping.
Good Luck

Old 05-08-2008, 09:14 AM   #15

Thanks a1a5115, looks like the right plugs too!

What sort of topend and performance did you get from it?