Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2022, 12:39 PM   #1

2021 TBR7 Purchase

New to the forum. I believe I've talked myself into a TBR7. I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos and believe I have a good idea of what I'm getting into.
Looking for suggestions on what other bikes are similar I may want to consider. I know the TBR7 is a carb while X-Pect is FI. Is FI worth the premium? Maybe so since rejetting or upgrading carbs with bigger jets seems to be very common with TBR's.
I like the dealer idea vs. Amazon as it seems the licensing may be easier. Comments on dealers... Good ones... Ones to avoid? I have a couple months since I'm in Milwaukee. If it arrives in a couples weeks I might have it assembles for the July 4th weekend.

Old 01-25-2022, 01:54 PM   #2

I have a Bashan Storm which I think is very nice. I didn't buy it new, so I cannot say how it came from the factory. I have heard that the Bashan bikes run great from the start. The only sellers that I have not heard complaints about have been either Peace Sports who handles a couple types Bashan bikes, and CSC motorcycles which handles several bikes, including the TT250. My Bashan was originally sold locally by Chandler Motorsports which has good local ratings.

By Bashan is a bike that had been abandoned, and I've resurrected it. The chain was terrible, the valves were tight, the battery was bad, the starter relay was bad, but some how the previous owner had managed to get close to 2,000 miles on it.

2016 Magician 250

Old 01-25-2022, 02:40 PM   #3

The well-known bikes that compete most closely with the TBR7 would be the Lifan Expect 200, the Hawk 250, the Hawk 250 DLX, and the X-Pro Titan. The Lifan and DLX are fuel injected and cost several hundred more than the TBR7.

The Titan is priced most closely to the TBR7. The Titan is a newer offering that is more off-road oriented than the TBR7. Just looking at it, the Titan probably has the least comfortable seat of any of the bikes I've mentioned, but who cares IF you're going to be standing up most of the time.

Regarding EFI, if you like to take lots of short jaunts (and don't want to wait while the bike warms up), or don't want to upgrade/tune a carb, or you change altitude a lot, then EFI is wonderful and worth the price. My Lifan and DLX seem to start up immediately and run just as good whether it's 90 degrees outside or 40.

If you are particularly tall or heavy (hmm...much over 6' or much over 200 lbs.), the Lifan Xpect is probably not sized for you--you'll probably be happier with one of the other bikes that have stiffer/adjustable suspension--just my opinion having both of them.

Oh, both the Lifan Xpect 200 and the Hawk 250 DLX are easy to license most places outside of CA. The other bikes, maybe, maybe not.
2021 Hawk 150 (RPS Viper)

Old 01-25-2022, 03:03 PM   #4

Great input. I had kind of narrowed it down to the Xpect or TBR7. Based your input I'm thinking I should take a closer look at the Hawk DLX. I'm 5' 11" and 200lbs. I don't mind messing with the carb. Knowing me, I'd buy an upgraded carb so the fuel injection gets cheaper and I avoid a one project on the bike. How reliable is the EFI or better yet, who cares if it's cheap to replace it.

Old 01-25-2022, 04:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nospark View Post
Great input. I had kind of narrowed it down to the Xpect or TBR7. Based your input I'm thinking I should take a closer look at the Hawk DLX. I'm 5' 11" and 200lbs. I don't mind messing with the carb. Knowing me, I'd buy an upgraded carb so the fuel injection gets cheaper and I avoid a one project on the bike. How reliable is the EFI or better yet, who cares if it's cheap to replace it.
Inventory may be an issue at the moment

***Keep in mind that options for dirt bike tires, especially DOT approved knobbies are LIMITED for anything beside 18" or 19" rear and 21" front tires. This is a real consideration if you want optimum off road/trail but still need to drive on the road. There are some excellent tires you just can't buy for a 17" rear wheel, or a 19" front tire. I found good alternatives, but just sayin'
Then there is the inverted front fork option on some models, not all. And believe it or not, a kill switch is NOT ubiquitous! Otherwise, these crate bikes are similar in many regards.

Carbs are low tech, but easier to "fix" and don't require a fuel pump.

I am quite happy with my Storm as well, but a TBR7 just arrived at the terminal for my son. Lots of TBR7 owners here have good things to say about them. We will pick it up tomorrow and the fun begins

But as I say, inventory issues may be a factor at the moment.

Old 01-25-2022, 04:28 PM   #6

It's great to get the input. I'm going to go with the TBR. The TBR is what I initially got excited about and then the creep for better more $ began. The TBR is a good starting point for me. At the entry price for a TBR, I can have fun, get a feel for how I use the bike & upgrade later addressing whatever shortcomings I find with the TBR.
For Milwaukee elevation is there common wisdom on best aftermarket carb and jetting or, does the jetting vary based on performance of each individual bike? I understand the stock carb can be modified but, I would rather spend the $ on a new carb and have plug & play vs. creating screw slots, etc. if that's an option.

Old 01-25-2022, 08:15 PM   #7

Hello I have a 2021 TBR7 and could not be happier.!300 mile no problems,did a lot of up grades. Just had it out in the snow today,short ride 28 degrees. Any questions just ask on here,great site.

Old 01-26-2022, 09:19 AM   #8

Buzz, can you list the upgrades on your TBR7 and your opinion on the value of each? I'm thinking maybe I might want to prepare for some upgrades out of the gate and do them during initial assembly after delivery.

Old 01-26-2022, 11:59 AM   #9

Just ordered a white TBR7D from TX Powersports through their website. Will update regarding delivery and condition as delivered. Their website claimed to have 7 in stock. The girl I spoke to on the phone also said they had stock. I ask her to clarify that meant in their Texas warehouse. She said yes.

Old 01-26-2022, 01:23 PM   #10

Good luck with that ,you purchased through the worst lot lizard we see around here .Search for “Manny” on this site ,then go to church and pray you get lucky .

Old 01-26-2022, 02:47 PM   #11

Bruces, Thank you. I see you're the type to provide advice in hind site. Why the silence from you when I was seeking advice on dealers in my initial post? Not really expecting a reply... In any event, I'll keep the post updated with my experience if any are interested. If not, I'll keep my experience to myself and then spring it on someone who takes action I defer with.

Old 01-26-2022, 02:52 PM   #12

TX Powersports is hit and miss. We have people that order from them with no problems and others that get royally screwed. Hope you have the better experience.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-26-2022, 03:08 PM   #13

JerryHawk250 Thanks, That seems to be the case with all of ones I looked into that carry TBR7's. If missed the consensus on this forum for a good dealer to buy a TBR7 from, I'm disappointed. Q9 Powersports, in Madison, WI is closest to me here in Milwaukee. When I called and spoke with them I didn't get a good vibe and reviews I found on Q9 were largely negative, as were the others. Biggest factor, Q9 has no TBR7 inventory. As you point out, it's hit or miss. Would the probability of success be higher somewhere else? If I knew of a place , and they had inventory, that would have certainly been factored in. I contacted a place in GA that had great YouTube ads and 5 great reasons to buy from them. 1 yr. later, they don't carry Tao Tao anymore. For me, the 5 reasons kinda lost their luster.

Old 01-26-2022, 03:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nospark View Post
Bruces, Thank you. I see you're the type to provide advice in hind site. Why the silence from you when I was seeking advice on dealers in my initial post? Not really expecting a reply... In any event, I'll keep the post updated with my experience if any are interested. If not, I'll keep my experience to myself and then spring it on someone who takes action I defer with.
I probably didn’t see your original post or I would of said something ,don’t believe me ,please feel free to review any of my past posts informing people of the perils of dealing with ass hat Manny .

Old 01-26-2022, 03:21 PM   #15

Bruces, Seems I have two options, Cancel my order with TXPS and buy from another source that provides a higher probability of success and has a new model TBR7D in stock, or do nothing, which I'm good at, and hope I have a good experience with TXPS.
Is there an alternative to TXPS you believe is consistently delivering high levels of customer satisfaction for a new TBR7? I have to the phone calls to TXPS I made earlier today b4 order placement were answered by a human who was kind and very helpful. I can not say the same for my experience with Q9 in Madison.