Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2008, 11:24 AM   #1

Greasy rear tire

Do y'all have issue with grease with the chain getting flung onto the side of the tire? I took the chain off, bathed it in hot gear oil for, hung it up overnight, and reinstalled the chain the next morning. There is oil on the side of the tire, and if I lean hard into a turn, I'm sure to lose a lot of traction.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #2

Try one of the clear fast drying chian lube sprays. No mess.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #3

Ok my bike is a cb350 but my question is on topic I think. I keep my bike insanely clean, and I don't use water when I wash, I polish it up. I wanted to get an o ring chain cause it reduces chain muck flying off after a chain lube. I'm changeing out my sprockets but won't be able to afford an o ring chain just yet, but I can come up with the cash for a good roller chain so it's back to having to deep lube the chain. I've used fast dry lube sprays and even chain wax, with simular messy results.

Question:
What is a good chain lube, that is also a clean chain lube?

P.S. On a cb, if you remove the chain you have to take off the clutch push plate to get the chain back on. It's a pain. I'd like to lube the chain without taking it off( most times). All input is welcome. N2r

Old 05-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #4

This is what I use. 100% mess free!

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...63_G&tier2=272

Used it a few years no without issues.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:19 PM   #5

After you lube the chain, wipe it off with a rag. The excess on the outside of the chain isn't doing any good anyway. Don't do what I say next, but I throw the bike up on a stand, fire it up in first gear and hold a rag around the chain as it spins. Clean as a whistle afterwards, and only a moderately high risk of loss of limb 8O .

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 05-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
After you lube the chain, wipe it off with a rag.
Thanks. That's a good solution for me.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:53 PM   #7

I use this on all of my motorcycles.I spray it every 300 miles or so.No Mess at all.

http://www.maximausa.com/products/ch...s/chainwax.asp

2007 HI-BIRD 250
2007 Vbike V4S 250

Old 05-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #8

CRidin; I'm on dial up and can't open that link. Please just describe it, thanks.

kczukiman: I just cleaned 36years of that stuff out from my clutch push/sprocket cover. Well, not that wax, maybe that product is better, I'll give it a shot, thanks. The stuff I used did flick off after a while. Also, I don't know how much gets into the chain rollers and how much wax just sits on top of the chain?

red2003: " Don't do what I say next, but I throw the bike up on a stand, fire it up in first gear and hold a rag around the chain as it spins. Clean as a whistle afterwards, and only a moderately high risk of loss of limb "

Yes, I would never tell someone to do that!

But, I do it every time.
Thanks red, sometimes it feels good to have someone tell me I'm on track. No one here to show me the tricks to doing the job right. N2r.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #9

new2riding,Iv'e been using it for about 5 or 6 years and no mess.Even on my first bike 1978 cb750k .

2007 HI-BIRD 250
2007 Vbike V4S 250

Old 05-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2riding
CRidin; I'm on dial up and can't open that link. Please just describe it, thanks.

kczukiman: I just cleaned 36years of that stuff out from my clutch push/sprocket cover. Well, not that wax, maybe that product is better, I'll give it a shot, thanks. The stuff I used did flick off after a while. Also, I don't know how much gets into the chain rollers and how much wax just sits on top of the chain?

red2003: " Don't do what I say next, but I throw the bike up on a stand, fire it up in first gear and hold a rag around the chain as it spins. Clean as a whistle afterwards, and only a moderately high risk of loss of limb "

Yes, I would never tell someone to do that!

But, I do it every time.
Thanks red, sometimes it feels good to have someone tell me I'm on track. No one here to show me the tricks to doing the job right. N2r.

Here ya go.

MotoPro Chain Lube uses the latest technology to create a unique concept in chain lubrication.

When you want your chain to run cooler, smoother, and quieter - and last longer - use MotoPro Chain Lube.

Features and Benefits
Fast-drying, nearly-transparent film actually seals the chain
Rich in PTFE fluoropolymer resin and MOLY, two compounds that provide unequaled lubrication
Great on both O-ring and standard chains
On O-ring chains, the elastomer is conditioned and protected from deterioration and cracking, preventing premature wear
Solvents evaporate quickly, unlike traditional "sticky" chain lubes, leaving a flexible, dirt- and water-repellent protective film that won't fling off
Provides long-term protection against rust
Dye-free formula won't stain white paint

Old 05-06-2008, 03:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2riding
So far I still have all 10 fingers left, but I did run my hand through the belt on the centrifugal clutch on my totegoat when I was a kid once. That hurt

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 05-06-2008, 03:53 PM   #12

I haven't had any luck with the spray chain lubes that are supposed to be mess free. What I found is that they don't get inside the rollers. I use the gear oil soak.

One method that seems to work pretty well is the parifin wax soak. A lot of bicyclists use it. Using a double boiler so you don't start the house on fire, melt enough wax so you can immerse the chain in it. Use the kind of wax used in canning or candle making. Let the clean chain soak in the hot wax for a while, stirring it around occasionally so the wax gets into the rollers. Hang the hot chain and let the excess wax drip out. Once cooled and dried, brush off excess wax on the exterior of the chain with a wire brush.

Q

Old 05-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
After you lube the chain, wipe it off with a rag. The excess on the outside of the chain isn't doing any good anyway. Don't do what I say next, but I throw the bike up on a stand, fire it up in first gear and hold a rag around the chain as it spins. Clean as a whistle afterwards, and only a moderately high risk of loss of limb 8O .
I can see the CNN story lead-in now:

"Strange rash of people losing fingers involving Chinese-made motorcycles, when we return."

Old 05-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #14

This is what a bicycle sprocket can do to your finger. 8O I imagine a motorbike sprocket will eat up your entire hand.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #15

8O Ya. Maybe wiping the chain, rolling the bike forward, wiping the chain, rolling the bike forward method would work just fine. 8O