Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2021, 09:51 AM   #1

Semi-storage of TT250?

So my TT250 should be arriving to my driveway sometime next week, and I could not be more excited . I have a question regarding the storage of this bike in my garage under my circumstances. As a brand new rider getting a motorcycle in Chicago in late November, my options for the next few months are limited. The plan is to get out to a local parking lot on any weekends over freezing temps when there is zero ice on the ground, just to practicepracticepractice and get as confident as I can before the warmer months roll back in.

I won't go out after work this winter, as it will be dark and I don't want to deal with that yet, so these jaunts will only be weekends, and some weekends might not work because of weather. What are any suggestions on how far to take the storage procedure in a non-heated garage that easily drops below freezing temps?

There might be 2-4wks without any action, is that long enough to want to put in fuel stabilizer?

Should I do the whole turn-off-petcock-then-run-engine-to-clear-carb trick that I've seen elsewhere if it sat for say, two weeks? One week? Three weeks?

I know the battery should be on a tender, what are the pros/cons of getting the $30 tenders vs the $100 tenders? I was probably just going to bring the battery in the house every week anyway once the temps start really plunging, just never really dove into the difference between these costs yet.

In the off weeks, how often is just turning it on and letting it idle for a bit recommended? I know a lot of these questions are answered in scattered areas but there's quite a bit of gray area that I'm wanting to know about exactly how I'm going to be taking care of her.

Old 11-20-2021, 10:01 AM   #2

Congratulations! I can see you put much thought into your new bike. Others probably have much better answers for your questions but I just wanted to suggest you should do some thinking about how your are going to break in that new engine too. Low speed operation around a parking lot might not be the best approach but I also don't know what CSC recommends.

Old 11-20-2021, 10:21 AM   #3

Yea I've factored in the break-in a bit too, I was going to chug around the neighborhoods in between lot practices to try and get some miles and revs added on. I know it's about a 5000rpm max for 500mi for these, so as was explained to me that's about a 43mph top speed. Obviously as soon as I'm confident enough and conditions are favorable, I'll start the work commute which will put 40 miles on each day.

Old 11-20-2021, 10:38 AM   #4

The $30.00 tender will be just fine ,try to run non ethanol gas and you should have zero problems having it sit a few weeks between riding .Running it once a week for 10-15 minutes would not hurt .

Old 11-20-2021, 11:15 AM   #5

Less someone think parking lots are bad let me clarify I totally believe you can break in an engine in a parking lot and I have spent many hours out behind Walmart initially with my bikes. Parking lots with no traffic provide a great place to put some pressure on the rings. What you are doing while you are there that matters.

Old 11-20-2021, 07:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
The $30.00 tender will be just fine ,try to run non ethanol gas and you should have zero problems having it sit a few weeks between riding .Running it once a week for 10-15 minutes would not hurt .
I'll have to agree with Bruces but would add 2 oz Techron fuel system cleaner. I've been doing this for 12 years now as a winter Texan my bikes at home can sit for 6 months at a time. ZERO issues in 12 years. Good luck, rubber side down.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:25 AM   #7

I bought my bike several years ago in a November and did something like your situation except that I am in a rural area and running the back roads rather than a parking lot.

One nice thing about the parking lot is that you will never notice that the TBR7 will not hit 45mph out of the box!

I filled the tank and splashed some stabilizer in right off the bat. You do not have to put the recommended dose in, just some to knock off the water from condensation. Especially if your are running it occasionally. Bikes do fine running stabilized fuel. Every bike I own runs the mixed fuel for the first 100-300 miles in the spring.

I also just pulled off the side panel over the battery and put wing nuts on the retainer and on the poles. I could snatch that battery off and have it inside the house in about 15 seconds with no tools.

Right now it is my simi-storage bike still. I have it in the shed, on a tender hooked to a solar cell (no electricity in that shed) with stabilizer in the tank and ready to escape captivity any time I have a dry day above riding temp. Everything else is in deep sleep for the winter.

Old 11-22-2021, 08:44 AM   #8

I fully agree with the battery tender + ethanol free fuel. These are the tenders I buy. I don't mind paying a little more for a good one.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...08FYS6CL8&th=1

Please call CSC and ask your questions about engine break-in and your limited ability to ride it for the next few months. I'm sure they have a few good ideas.
2021 CSC TT250 - White (Daughter's) "Gemini"

Old 12-06-2021, 11:15 AM   #9

Called CSC and they pretty much confirmed what was already said here for my circumstance. Keep fuel stabilizer in the tank all winter, keep the battery with tender inside the house and out of the detached garage that will get below zero, and run it for about 30min at idle on the weekends if it doesn't get any other action.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:51 AM   #10

Chipmunks are busy getting ready for winter

In my minimal riding I've been able to get in, I kept thinking that something felt off with how the engine felt. Granted, I have no prior experience to base this off of, so I kept the thought to myself. Everyone says to re-jet, so it must be that.

This weekend a buddy came over and while walking around it and staring for a half hour as one will do, I randomly noticed a bird seed fall out from under the seat. Knocked it a few times on top, and one other seed fell out. I took the seat off, peeked inside the airbox holes, and saw the tip of the iceberg. Pulled off the airbox cover, and was greeted with this sight.

We have chipmunks outside, and a detached garage, so a very hard worker seems to have been trying to horde his winter stash under my seat. I carefully vacuumed every seed out, removed the filter and luckily found none underneath. Gave it another test ride after cleaning all that junk and it buzzed more smoothly than ever before. Might this have happened the first week I got it? Who knows.

Lesson learned, no more bird seed storage in the garage.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:54 AM   #11

Holy smokes! It's must be a sign of a long cold winter. They been some busy little boogers.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel