Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2021, 05:16 PM   #1

Head Scratching 2021 TBR7 Pre-First Start Oil Dirty-Shavings On Drain Plug Magnet

My 2021 TBR7 arrived on a pallet, in a crate earlier this month. It was, of course, unassembled, so I'm almost certain it hasn't been started for the first time yet.
TBR7s come with a very cheap, magnetic drain plug now and the magnet was full of black shavings.
The pre-first start oil seemed dirty also. Not like the crystal clear shipping oil in Collin at 3 Petal Devils' video. I'm a noob so any input/advice is much appreciated

Old 10-30-2021, 06:46 PM   #2

Here is a good thread on it I wish I had seen before I got my bikes. I would modify what I said to include changing the oil before it is ever started and again after 5 minutes etc, etc. Some would consider it overkill but buy a gallon of Rotella and have at it however it makes you feel good. Breaking in an engine has to feel good.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...les#post359902

Old 10-30-2021, 09:11 PM   #3

Changed before start up, then ran for 1/2 hour. Then 100 miles,then every 300 miles after that. 1100 miles and loving this TBR7

Old 10-31-2021, 10:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
Changed before start up, then ran for 1/2 hour. Then 100 miles,then every 300 miles after that. 1100 miles and loving this TBR7
Overkill.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:12 PM   #5

Come to think of it , Collin at 3 Pedal Devils did say he was expecting to see it much worse. Either way, I sure appreciate all of you guys' insight. I won't get through this without it that's for sure. Thank y'all.

Old 11-01-2021, 05:15 AM   #6

Remember, there will be a certain amount of steel shavings mainly from the transmission parts as they wear in.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:27 AM   #7

That's true. Thanks.

Old 11-01-2021, 07:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
Overkill.
Not overkill at all, shipping oil should be changed before starting the bike the first time. Change at 50 miles, change at 100 miles, then every 300 miles after. Please do not mislead anyone or even insinuate that any fluids that come with any Chinese bike are quality. They are junk and have been tested and proved as such. Actually, no one knows exactly what comes in these bikes, fork oil is the same viscosity as engine oil. It does not even resemble motor oil or fork oil. Brake fluids should be flushed and changed as well. Anyone saying anything otherwise is a fool.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasbeth View Post
Not overkill at all, shipping oil should be changed before starting the bike the first time. Change at 50 miles, change at 100 miles, then every 300 miles after. Please do not mislead anyone or even insinuate that any fluids that come with any Chinese bike are quality. They are junk and have been tested and proved as such. Actually, no one knows exactly what comes in these bikes, fork oil is the same viscosity as engine oil. It does not even resemble motor oil or fork oil. Brake fluids should be flushed and changed as well. Anyone saying anything otherwise is a fool.
Harsh but true. What came in mine looked like something McDonalds would throw away when they cleaned the fryers. There was crud floating in it!

Remember that these are not automobiles and there is no filter. They are spinning about twice the speed of a car engine and since they are air cooled they run hotter than your car ever dreamed.

They are designed to do it, but they need proper oil, especially for the clutch, which is also in that oil bath.

You have bits of new engine shavings, bits of clutch compound and bits of transmission chip floating in there.

Three changes before the 1000K mark is not a bad idea.

Yes your odometer reads in KM, not miles.

BTW, my handling improved 100% when I pulled the forks and replaced the shipping oil. It was the same gray/green crap as was in the engine for shipping. Additionally, I discovered that there was 100ml in one side and 150ml in the other. They need around 200ml in each side.

Old 11-01-2021, 09:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by krat View Post
Harsh but true. What came in mine looked like something McDonalds would throw away when they cleaned the fryers. There was crud floating in it!

Remember that these are not automobiles and there is no filter. They are spinning about twice the speed of a car engine and since they are air cooled they run hotter than your car ever dreamed.

They are designed to do it, but they need proper oil, especially for the clutch, which is also in that oil bath.

You have bits of new engine shavings, bits of clutch compound and bits of transmission chip floating in there.

Three changes before the 1000K mark is not a bad idea.

Yes your odometer reads in KM, not miles.

BTW, my handling improved 100% when I pulled the forks and replaced the shipping oil. It was the same gray/green crap as was in the engine for shipping. Additionally, I discovered that there was 100ml in one side and 150ml in the other. They need around 200ml in each side.
Collin on 3 Petal Devils put 225 ml. Do you think that's too much?

Old 11-02-2021, 08:09 AM   #11

I put about 225 in my Magician forks, and it rides great.

2016 Magician 250

Old 11-02-2021, 09:46 AM   #12

Fork oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkay44 View Post
Collin on 3 Petal Devils put 225 ml. Do you think that's too much?

For inverted forks, 300-350ml per fork tube.
For regular, drain from the bottom, 225ml per fork tube.

Get a measuring cup when you drain to see how much you are pulling out per tube.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:45 AM   #13

I do know Collin at 3PD pulled drastically different amounts out of each. He put Teflon tape on the drain plugs when he put them back in too. That seems essential.

Old 11-02-2021, 12:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasbeth View Post
Not overkill at all, shipping oil should be changed before starting the bike the first time. Change at 50 miles, change at 100 miles, then every 300 miles after.
LOL! I bet you change your underwear 4 times a day too.

The saying "When in doubt, consult your owner's Manual" is quite true!

The oil change interval is 3,000 km. That is 1,863 miles. *** AND *** that is based upon conventional oil. I intent to change mine TWICE that with fully synthetic oil.

Thru regular oil analysis, I finally changed my big rig Volvo engine's oil, whose nominal oil change interval was 20,000 miles with dino oil after 130,000 miles. Said truck I bought at 500,000 miles and sold it at over 1,000,000 miles!

Old 11-02-2021, 08:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
LOL! I bet you change your underwear 4 times a day too.
There are a number of different approaches to maintenance. It is not an exact science, with only one correct way to do things. And anyway, overkill beats neglect.

Can't you just agree to disagree, without being disagreeable?
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Tags
before first start, dirty, pre-first start, shipping oil