Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2021, 03:27 PM   #1

2020 Hawk 250 - Build? / Ride Report

Alright, there are probably a bunch of these threads going that get abandoned but I figured I will throw mine in here too.

I got a Hawk 250 from a buddy that is getting out of riding dual sports due to some health issues (and quite frankly, laying down his big bike a couple weeks ago).

I had been looking to get a better city bike than my tuned/modified VTX 1800 and being 6'3, this thing is the perfect height for me to flat foot (and not an 800+ lb bike). I am also a heftier boy and this suspension is killing me with the softness. I saw the YSS fork modification and that is what brought me to this forum.

I was going to leave it alone and ride the piss out of it for a bit but after barely missing a wreck and sending it in to the grass at 50-55 mph, my forks need gone through at minimum.

I do know this has already had the carb drilled out and the rear sprocket has been swapped. It gets me up to 40 pretty quickly, anything over that takes a bit to wrap up if I am not riding aggressively.

He just went over it and changed the oil at 950 mi making sure that everything was tight. I basically have no 'real' budget to get this done with. Just want something that is more capable and less 'budget bike' feeling. Where do I starts with it?

Also, here is a pic of me riding last night. There is plastic and mirrors missing on it, I got a bit too excited to ride.

https://imgur.com/dQXvkT0

Old 08-23-2021, 03:40 PM   #2

Budget Friendly upgrades to make it feel a little better quality.

Mirrors- budget friendly but better than factory
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Shock (Since you are bigger, go with a thicker shock and 1200lb rating. 12mm spring and 10mm eyelet) Shop around. Here is one.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281...4d766a950d6794

Front forks, you may not be happy until you swap to a honda xr250l 1995 set. Used ones can be found at low prices. Otherwise, mild improvement can be had from better oil changed out.

foot pegs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 08-23-2021, 04:42 PM   #3

Do the front shocks have to be specifically from a 1995 or are there other options?

Additionally, is it the whole triple tree or is it just the tubes themselves?

I am not much of a welder, I can grind pretty well though.

I guess what I initially meant to put was the budget is pretty wide open on it. I don't need to stay under say... X dollars, but I don't want to drop as much on it in the end as I would on something like a new Yamaha.

Old 08-27-2021, 04:06 PM   #4

UPDATE:

I found out this thing already has had the mods that I was needing to do for the front.

It has 15W front fork oil as well as 45 mm spacers made for it which are almost perfect which is why the front didn't need too much. There is a little too much bounce in the front for me still, so I will likely go over to 20W.

I do still need to redo the rear shock. I can do anything under $150, I don't know how comfortable that I am with an aliexpress shock but we will give it a whirl.

Also, already has a 17/45 done to it. So I guess only need a mikuni carb until I wanna start adding more power in to it. The cats have been gutted out.

Will likely do more streetable tires for comfort. A couple of adventure bike things like mounting a gas can holder to it & luggage racks.

I got it at 954 miles, I am sitting at 1002 at work currently. Total cost input at this time has been $2.75 for fuel.

Old 08-31-2021, 02:58 PM   #5

Just got a new fat man rear spring. Should be shipping ASAP! <3

Got a truing stand for the wheels and am currently looking for spoke tensioner (and by looking, I have like 6 in my amazon cart just waiting for one to go on sale). I do need a new front hub so I can lace a better wheel together with a better hub.

1025 is the mileage of today.