Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2021, 02:59 PM   #1

Hawk 250 (EFI)vs Lifan xpect

I’m a first time bike buyer. I’ve narrowed it down to a Lifan Xpect or a Xpro Hawk 250. Any insight from those experienced with either or both of these bikes is much appreciated. I’m 6’4” and about 230 if size matters. I haven’t ridden a bike since my friends xr75 when I was about 14. I’m now 58. I decided on one of these because my local dealers have little inventory and nothing in the way of dual sport bikes. I think these make good beginner bikes because they don’t have a lot of power and dropping a bike that cost between 1800 and 2200 is easier to take than dropping one that cost 8000. Also, in Delaware, we have a $300.00 buyers fee that most on line sellers don’t charge.

Old 08-03-2021, 03:12 PM   #2

I know this is off subject, and doesn't answer shit, but I also owned an XR75, also the at age as u was, I think I Was 13. I loved that bike, until the timing chain broke....thanx for the memory's.. ur other question I would stay the the hawk.. it has a few more upgrade the Lifan doesn't have...

Old 08-03-2021, 03:40 PM   #3

If you want trouble free riding from day 1 Lifan is the way to go, besides you will need very few mods with a Lifan anyhow maybe just a 17 tooth drive sprocket if you spend a lot of time on the road.

Old 08-03-2021, 03:47 PM   #4

I'm also 6'4" and 230 lbs. I'm 52 yo and a brand new rider. Two months ago I bought a Hawk DLX (from powersportsmax) and have a Lifan XPect arriving tomorrow. For my height, the 36" seat height (unloaded) on the Hawk is great. I can easily duck-walk the bike and don't feel cramped.

I ordered the XPect specifically because its 3 1/2" lower than the Hawk and my 5'7" daughter will appreciate the lower seat.
Once the Lifan arrives tomorrow, I'll come back here and give a better idea of how I feel about the bikes in more direct comparison to each other.

Old 08-03-2021, 04:20 PM   #5

I'd get the Lifan, just based on the number of people who have been having problems with the Hawk DLXs lately... It sounds like there have been some build quality issues of late, and I would give it a miss for now, personally.

Old 08-03-2021, 05:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
I'd get the Lifan, just based on the number of people who have been having problems with the Hawk DLXs lately... It sounds like there have been some build quality issues of late, and I would give it a miss for now, personally.

Since I just bought one a couple months ago and only have about 170 miles on it, you've got me curious. What issues have people been having?

Old 08-03-2021, 05:10 PM   #7

About 1200 miles on the Lifan right now. Haven’t had any problems that weren’t self-inflicted. Lol

Old 08-03-2021, 07:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
About 1200 miles on the Lifan right now. Haven’t had any problems that weren’t self-inflicted. Lol
How are the tires holding up?

Old 08-03-2021, 07:15 PM   #9

Got over 700 miles on mine and the tyres look like new.

Old 08-03-2021, 07:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt View Post
Since I just bought one a couple months ago and only have about 170 miles on it, you've got me curious. What issues have people been having?
Various clutch and transmission issues, not sure if it's operator error or a bad batch of bikes, or possibly noobs wrecking and bending shift shafts/shift forks. Keep riding it, most of the people with issues haven't put much in the way of miles on them, I'd think you're good.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:40 PM   #11

I’m impressed with how outgoing and informative everyone is. Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I still haven’t made up my mind yet. To complicate this further, I’ve also started to consider a Xpro Hawk w/o efi. I do know I need to get this over with shortly. I want to get the bike before the end of this month.

Old 08-03-2021, 11:22 PM   #12

I don't know what state you live in but the regular Hawk cannot be registered in some of them as they are not on the approved list as a highway motorcycle by the EPA/DOT...but, the DLX, the Lifan and all the Bashan's are 49 state legal. I'm just forewarning you as there have been a few members that have had trouble with their DMV's.

Old 08-03-2021, 11:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70fstbck View Post
...To complicate this further, I’ve also started to consider a Xpro Hawk w/o efi.....
Keep in mind that while the carburated Hawk is sold as a dual-sport, and folks have registered them, a lot of other folks have not been able to tag those bikes in their states because of the way that model is imported without key information on the VIN plate. There have been a few recent posts from someone who has been unable to tag his bike for these reasons.
The DLX and XPect, on the other hand, have gone through the proper import certifications for highway use and seem to be pretty easy to tag in most places other than California.
To those who know better, did I state all that correctly?

Old 08-04-2021, 01:02 PM   #14

70fstbck, The new Lifan XPect came this morning. It certainly looks to me to have a higher initial build quality than the Hawk (especially the welds), and I like it aesthetically more than I do the Hawk.

However, while I haven't gotten it running yet, I've already run into a deal breaker if I were considering the bike for rmyself. It's just one size too small. My knees hit the gas tank fairings enough that I can't hug the tank like one should be able to do. For me, if I were buying it for myself, I would certainly be disappointed--I would forever feel like I was riding a bike built for someone else. I have no doubt folks 6' and under or who have exceptionally long torsos (and correspondingly short legs) would absolutely love it. I wish they made a bigger version. Since it isn't for me, I'm extremely happy with it--I think my daughter will love it.

Old 08-04-2021, 03:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt View Post
I have no doubt folks 6' and under or who have exceptionally long torsos (and correspondingly short legs) would absolutely love it. I wish they made a bigger version. Since it isn't for me, I'm extremely happy with it--I think my daughter will love it.

Thanks for the review. It's about time us short people get more options for more horsepower than a Grom. One question: Why did you say long torso, is it a long reach to the bars?