Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2021, 06:21 AM   #1

Obese w/ short legs, but want to give dual sport riding a try. Options?

Weight: 375lb
Height: 6'1"
Inseam: 28" (height is ALL torso)

I have no prior motorcycle experience. For the past 6 months or so I've been really thinking I'd like to try out dual sport riding. It seems pretty apparent that I'm going to have to work on the suspension of any bike I get to accommodate my weight, and probably also my short legs as I'd like to be able to put my feet down.

I've been eying the EFI version of the Hawk just because it's affordable while still to not having to deal with a carb (I about went nuts trying to figure out a carb issue on my Honda ATC200ES 3 wheeler).

I had originally been considering buying something like a Yamaha XT250, because the low seat height was pretty appealing. But the used prices of those in my area seem to be going for factory new MSRP, and new bikes are being listed at the local dealer for $7000+ "thanks to COVID". So that's put me back looking at the efi Hawk.

I've been trying to find information on how to pick the right shock based on load weight, but my google-fu is apparently too weak. I'd be looking to lower the bike by several inches while also beefing up the suspension. Can anyone point me in the right direction to resources to figure out what I would need to be looking for in order to get the bike to accommodate my short-legged fat ass?

Old 07-04-2021, 08:08 AM   #2

Congratulations on wanting to get into dual sport riding! With the right choice, you should enjoy it...! My recommendation for you, and this is based on experience of the bike,...would be a used Yamaha TW200. They have a low seat height, nearly 400 pounds carry capacity, very well built, reliable. You will not break this bike..they are tough...They have been in continuous production since 1987..you may have to do some digging around, but there are deals out there. I believe as a new rider, and your requirements,..you couldn't do much better.
The Suzuki VanVan 200 would be a second choice, very similar bike,...but much harder to find.
2019 Brozz 250

Old 07-04-2021, 09:49 AM   #3

I have to agree ,the tw and the van van are both good choices .

Old 07-04-2021, 11:01 AM   #4

The TW200 is a good choice. If you're really wanting to go with a chinese dual sport you might get by with a magician.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 07-04-2021, 11:03 AM   #5

I say go for the Brozz, built well, inexepnsive, will do everything you ask of it (sans jumping), fairly low to the ground, 19/17 wheels, great post-sales support, etc..

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 07-04-2021, 02:29 PM   #6

If you want to get a chinabike instead, you can't go wrong with the ZongShen Sierra: the engine is a clone of the Yamaha's TW200, as is the rear suspension, and with its oddball 18"/15" front/rear rim setup, it's basically like a small cruiser that wants to be a dual-sport...or viceversa. Seat height is on the lowish side too (31-32" or so).

However, TBQH, with all that weight you're gonna want way more power than any of those 200-250 cc engines can provide.

Old 07-04-2021, 02:34 PM   #7

I think the 'Magician' is the ticket...very inexpensive and has the same engine as the hawk...but sits MUCH lower! The problem now is sourcing one...all the smelling Texas 'Manny' dealers are only taking pre-orders. But on the bright side...they are only $1299 + $60 D+H, with free shipping.

Old 07-04-2021, 02:35 PM   #8

Fuel injection, shorter seat height, and better quality (reported by numerous owners) than most other Chinese bikes--the Lifan X-Pect 200. About the same price point as the Hawk DLX.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-04-2021, 03:38 PM   #9

It is almost as if no one here has ever seen a Chinese dual sport, or a 375 pound man. Everyone is simply pushing their favorite bike.

First, I have a friend that goes 360 pounds and he flattens the shocks on a Harley Road Glide! Sits that fender right on the rear tire!

One trip down a rough fire road on a Chinese dual sport at speed and the bike will be trashed. A couple of good potholes at 40 mph, and a 375 pound load, is going to bend a Chinese dual sport double, any of them! Don't be surprised if the shock comes up through the frame, rips off the lower mount block or the swing arm disappears in short order.

And no Chinese dual sport, not even the Magician, will lower to less than 30" seat height. Most of them have zero adjustability and the ones that do also soften the spring setting as they are lowered. That is the opposite of what is needed here.

The Magician especially is prone to frame breaks due to vibration and stress and putting a 375 pound man on it is a recipe for disaster. Most owners already recommend buying a welder when you buy a Michigan.

The TW200 might be do-able, but how long it would hold up on a gravel fire road carrying the limit of its load capacity is debatable. At the moment TW200s are scarce and expensive.

My recommendation is that the OP find a good used cruiser of 750cc or larger, set it up with the heaviest shocks he can find and cruise the paved back roads to his hearts' content. Enjoy the part of the sport that is allowable and affordable under the specific requirements. Not everyone can fit a minibike, and not everyone can fit a GS1250! Sometimes we take what we fit.

Don't let anyone kid you, riding dirt means falling down, usually a lot! Not falling down is done by thrashing, fighting and man handling the motorbike, and as you tire guess what? You are going to fall down. That is especially true for someone just getting started or just returning to riding.

Good luck.

Old 07-04-2021, 04:23 PM   #10

Well... that's probably what we were all thinking but the OP clearly stated he wanted to get away from the "heavy dudes only ride heavy cruisers" stereotype.

Old 07-04-2021, 06:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillRider View Post
Well... that's probably what we were all thinking but the OP clearly stated he wanted to get away from the "heavy dudes only ride heavy cruisers" stereotype.
Yep.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 07-04-2021, 06:55 PM   #12

Say what you will, but I've seen plenty of 200lb dudes with their 175lb wives/consorts/ladies/friends/dogs-cats-chickens riding on those Honda Cubs...so?

Old 07-04-2021, 09:04 PM   #13

Thanks for the input so far..

The used TW200 market around here is about as bad as the XT250 I already mentioned as far as pricing goes (used bikes with 5k or more miles selling for new msrp). Along with it being a carbureted bike which I'd prefer to avoid..

What I'm looking to do is go ride on USFS/fire roads in the nearby national forest. Nothing too crazy, especially as a complete beginner. Not interested in a cruiser for pavement riding. Really looking for resources on how to figure out what the appropriate suspension setup would be for this much weight. I found a calculator intended for mountain bike shocks, but haven't found anything similar for motorcycles.

FWIW the mountain bike calculator told me I should have a 1500 lbs/in spring rate...

Old 07-04-2021, 10:00 PM   #14

The Magician on cheap side and the Lifan Xpect are possibilities. I mean we all assume going in with China Bikes there could be some issues. Look at the guy dropped a valve the other day. The way I think about it is I got a relatively inexpensive deal to begin with so after a year of riding have a gotten my money out of a Magician? Yaa, I think so, more so than a $1200 vacation. If I get two years, then sweet it is. I would look at options to beef up the rear shock and some heavy weight front fork oil. Ride! CG strong, ride hard!

Old 07-05-2021, 01:26 AM   #15

Ok... So, this is kind hard to answer.

My first suggestion, get seat height out the way with you consider a dual sport. Low seat height equals less clearance. The lower the seat height, the less capability you'll have off-road. Check out videos for short riders to find a way to compensate for seat height.

Second, heavy riders will have suspension compromises. Don't look at the max capacity as a static/constant value. That's what it's rated at on even surfaces. Remember that you will be exerting a lot of stress on the chassis, even at slow speeds on a fire road. If you can find info on shock length ahead of time, you can find replacement shocks or heavier springs. There's also two methods of measuring for your spring weight. One is your body weight. The other is your body weight WITH gear on. I suggest you apply the latter. It's the same thing I have to do for my bikes.

Third, reliability is key. How often do you plan on riding off-road? If it's not a lot, then you might get away with a Chinese bike. If you'll be planning on being in the dirt most if the time, either have money set aside for repairs and replacement parts, or look into something used and Japanese. You'll probably see super high prices for a klx. But, that's because it's the and all/be all of dual sports. But, it'll do everything you want, and beg for more.

Fourth, go bigger than a 200. Trust me on this.