Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2021, 09:51 PM   #1

Fuel Gauge Indicator vs Throttle Input

Hadn't noticed this before, but over the course of riding the last two days, I saw that the more throttle input I give, the needle on the fuel gauge drops. Let off the throttle, the needle rises again. I don't think it is from the fuel sloshing around front to back.
Anyone else noticed this before?

Old 05-14-2021, 04:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwowzer View Post
Hadn't noticed this before, but over the course of riding the last two days, I saw that the more throttle input I give, the needle on the fuel gauge drops. Let off the throttle, the needle rises again. I don't think it is from the fuel sloshing around front to back.
Anyone else noticed this before?
Considering the float is mounted longitudinal in the tank, it is very likely fuel movement is making the needle move, BUT it could also possible be a small grounding or shorting issue, or maybe some weak contact with the pins in the connector. Also possible that the fuel level sender itself may have a loose part internally that is free floating around. I know a few people here have pulled them and either fixed them or replaced them with a TT250 unit for other weird issues with fuel level indication.

Short of a little Sherlock Holmes work on your end, I don't think anybody could say anything here definitively.

My 2 cents, for what it is worth, as long as the fuel light works, or at least it somewhat accurately represents the fuel level when low, everything above that point is superfluous anyway. I have gained a good idea for how much fuel is left when my fuel gauge hits that last bar and the light comes on, usually around 1 gal left, so I know I should hit a fuel stop within 50-60 miles.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-14-2021, 06:38 AM   #3

Smile

I'll fill the tank up all the way this evening, and go for a cruise. I'd think it should go away if it is a mechanical quirk of the fuel float. Electrical/grounding issue, it should still drop, right?
It's not really a problem at all, just another aspect of the character of the bike
I've had the fuel needle bottomed out, and it still goes and goes and goes. I've never even had to switch it to reserve, even though with the cap up and a flashlight there appears to be hardly any fuel in it.
I'll have to get a little fuel can to ride with and see how low it gets to switch to reserve, and then see how long reserve lasts.