Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2021, 03:22 AM   #1

15W40 Diesel/Heavy Duty oil in my bike -follow up

After the huge success of the original thead, I thought it's time for a follow up. I've been riding on and off with this generic, mineral heavy duty oil for a month now, not many kms though (300 or so), so it's halfway my typical OCI for a straight mineral oil.

As I already mentioned, at first it felt just like any new oil. Smooth gear changes, reduced clunking, easier starts etc.

Around the 200 km mark however it started showing the first signs of fatigue typical of any mineral oil I've tried, like an increased thinning when hot, a bit harder starts and some "clutch fatigue". OK, I didn't expect any miracles in that respect, no matter what the additive package, but 200 km seemed a bit on the low side. However, it actually got better in that respect near the 300km mark, perhaps due to continued lowish external temperatures (8-15 C ), or some further internal viscosity shifts/break-in.

What's more impressive IMO is that it still looks quite clear through the oil level sighting glass, more than anything I've used before, but it also had some noticeable burn/consumption. It also gave my exhaust a truck-like bouquet right from the start (with no visible smoke). Compression when cold also seems to have gone up somewhat.

So OK, IMO it's just an adequate oil for the Winter-Spring season, it didn't cause my clutch to slip but it's certainly no miracle and not a substitute for a good semi-synthetic. Then again it's not the actual stuff everybody's praising (Shell Rotella).

The final verdict however will be at the next oil change, to see it there is any noticeable wear, excessive thinning, sludge etc.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:35 AM   #2

Not sure about others that run Rotella T4, but I never praise it as any sort of miracle oil. It's just a good basic oil, and will suffer from the same faults as any other basic oil.

I run the T6 full synthetic 15w40, but if I didn't have the oil cooler on my bike, I would run a 20w50 in the warmer months of the year. These little engines are pretty rough on the small oil capacity that they have.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-15-2021, 10:28 AM   #3

I've yet to see or use any oil that's a "miracle". Using the proper viscosity and type, and changing at regular intervals largely reduces any small differences that matter. Is there junk out there....ya I'm sure. Are there very expensive oils that perform better in extreme conditions....ya I'm sure. For me personally it comes down to a balance of price and function. I ran high end 10w40 synthetic in my DRZ400E mostly because I had dumped $1000 into the engine and I wasn't taking any chances on lubrication.

But after that I got an old 81 GS850G and ran T6 15w40 in it all day long and it was cheap and worked perfectly fine.

Now that I've yammered on I dunno the point of my reply...HAHA. But I'm with Megadan on this one, the Rotella is a good basic oil that provides good protection at a good price. I'm running T4 through break in on the hawk then I'll goto T6.

FWIW - People waste far too much brain power overthinking this. Myself included

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 04-15-2021, 02:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd View Post

FWIW - People waste far too much brain power overthinking this. Myself included
Oh, the amount of brain energy dedicated to the oil question is incredible. Especially in the world of ultra budget Chinese motorcycles that run a cheap clone of a cheap engine designed to run with minimal oil changes or maintenance for long periods of time. We can be a bit silly with our desire to protect our investments and keep them running.

At the end of the day the most important factor isn't what oil you run, but that you simply change it. Clean oil is the best oil. A bike that has regular oil changes running the cheapest crap you can buy will outlast a bike that gets neglected running the most expensive "best" oil on the market.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-15-2021, 02:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Oh, the amount of brain energy dedicated to the oil question is incredible. Especially in the world of ultra budget Chinese motorcycles that run a cheap clone of a cheap engine designed to run with minimal oil changes or maintenance for long periods of time. We can be a bit silly with our desire to protect our investments and keep them running.

At the end of the day the most important factor isn't what oil you run, but that you simply change it. Clean oil is the best oil. A bike that has regular oil changes running the cheapest crap you can buy will outlast a bike that gets neglected running the most expensive "best" oil on the market.
Nailed it! And just like that, The great oil question has been answered.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-15-2021, 02:31 PM   #6

Solved? We need to argue about how often to change it!

Old 04-15-2021, 02:36 PM   #7

C'mon, this is a freakin oil thread, weve gotta get at least 100 replies. Lol
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 04-15-2021, 11:08 PM   #8

I agree with everything MegaDan said. More about changing it often, and T6 is a known, cheap, but good quality oil for these motors.
That being said, i like to change mine at a roasted almond color and a slightly musky scent from the fill indicator... am I waiting too long between changes?
Or maybe its good to go until you smell burnt popcorn out the exhaust?