Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2021, 12:10 AM   #1

Hi! Greetings from México!! Need help!

Hello!
My name is Daniel. I currently live in Baja California, México and I just recently bought a Vento Motorcycle.. The model is the "GT-250" and I kinda believe this shares a lot parts and design elements with the Hawk 250, As I am not 100% sure about it I wanted to ask help from you guys regarding this bike.

My main concern right now is that I need to adjust my front shocks somehow, I am no motorcycle expert but I can get by with a good guide or reference but I looked around and did not found any info regarding these specific shocks, Visually I think they are the same from the Hawk 250 DLX? I need help tuning them out for my weight as I am constantly bottoming them out in big pot holes or hard braking.

I am adding the pictures of my bike for reference, Also a facebook member recently disassembled his shock for repairs but made no guide as to how to do or tune it so I hope this helps identify the shock absorber.

Marketing photo:

Real pictures:

Forks:

Hope you guys can help me out!

Old 04-08-2021, 02:25 AM   #2

Looking at the way those forks are constructed, they are just a damping rod style fork turned upside down, nothing too fancy.

I do believe the Bashan Storm and Brozz forks are very similar to those, so the guys that own those bikes might be able to offer some insight on fluid levels, but you can always experiment with heavier weight fork oil to help increase the damping a little bit.

Another thing you can look into is setting an appropriate amount of rider sag by making some preload spacers for the springs.

The above two things help us Hawk guys with our skinny traditional forks.

- One Daniel to another. Nice bike! Reminds me a bit of some of the bigger Zongshen ADV bikes.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-08-2021, 12:44 PM   #3

Thank you very much for the information Daniel!.

Could you happen to know which chinese manufacturer built this bike? I havent seen something similar from the chinese makers. I heard a lot of Zongshen or Lifen? But the engines looks awfully similar to me for Lifen Engines.

I havent build or disassembled a fork in my life so if you know a thread or video I might give a look or how to search for info about these types of forks? Ive read "USD Forks" but I dont know what that means or if it applies to my forks.

I think the Zongshen ADV bikes are sold here under the "Italika" brand as the V200 and VX250.

Old 04-09-2021, 02:44 AM   #4

Unfortunately I couldn't begin to tell you who built it. I have never seen that specific bike before in the U.S. There is a lot more variety of bikes sold south of the Border than we get, in terms of quality, options, engines, etc. The Laws in the U.S. make it far more difficult for importers. There are a bunch of bikes I have seen that I would love to have that I can't get.

I don't know of any video made for those specific forks, but I remember a thread for a Bashan Storm where he took the forks apart and delved in and it may help you figure out disassembly. http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=23687

Other than that, some basics of fork maintenance and service are pretty universal. Watching some youtube videos on the subject will at least prepare you for it to a certain degree.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:54 AM   #5

Try adding about 10cc of fork oil to each fork leg. This method does not slow down the first portion of the fork stroke, only the last portion so you get good grip in corners but on bigger bumps/jumps it stops the bottoming.

Depending on your riding style and weight 5cc may be enough so you may want to start there, use a turkey baster to add or remove the oil, many of them have measurements on them

2020 Lifan X-Pect 200efi
2005 Harley Davidson Sportster XL1200R

Old 04-09-2021, 12:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirmich View Post
Thank you very much for the information Daniel!.

Could you happen to know which chinese manufacturer built this bike? I havent seen something similar from the chinese makers. I heard a lot of Zongshen or Lifen? But the engines looks awfully similar to me for Lifen Engines.

I havent build or disassembled a fork in my life so if you know a thread or video I might give a look or how to search for info about these types of forks? Ive read "USD Forks" but I dont know what that means or if it applies to my forks.

I think the Zongshen ADV bikes are sold here under the "Italika" brand as the V200 and VX250.
The engine serial # should start with two letters it will you who made the engine.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Unfortunately I couldn't begin to tell you who built it. I have never seen that specific bike before in the U.S. There is a lot more variety of bikes sold south of the Border than we get, in terms of quality, options, engines, etc. The Laws in the U.S. make it far more difficult for importers. There are a bunch of bikes I have seen that I would love to have that I can't get.

I don't know of any video made for those specific forks, but I remember a thread for a Bashan Storm where he took the forks apart and delved in and it may help you figure out disassembly. http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=23687

Other than that, some basics of fork maintenance and service are pretty universal. Watching some youtube videos on the subject will at least prepare you for it to a certain degree.

Yeah I also noticed the imported bikes over the USA have catalytic converters and the carburetor is pretty much sealed! This bike has nothing of that, Exhaust is free flowing and the carb has the philips bolts and air mix needle as well for full disassembly and tuning although I dont know if the Mikuni jets will fit bolt on.

Thank you very much for the help! Much appreciated.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTA View Post
Try adding about 10cc of fork oil to each fork leg. This method does not slow down the first portion of the fork stroke, only the last portion so you get good grip in corners but on bigger bumps/jumps it stops the bottoming.

Depending on your riding style and weight 5cc may be enough so you may want to start there, use a turkey baster to add or remove the oil, many of them have measurements on them
Do I add the oil by simply removing the top nuts? Following the limk above for the USD Forks it does not seem to be as straight forward?.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
The engine serial # should start with two letters it will you who made the engine.
Ohh sweet! I will check it out tomorrow.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:31 PM   #10

that a really nice looking bike, what does something like that cost?

Quote:
Hello!
My name is Daniel. I currently live in Baja California, México and I just recently bought a Vento Motorcycle.. The model is the "GT-250" and I kinda believe this shares a lot parts and design elements with the Hawk 250, As I am not 100% sure about it I wanted to ask help from you guys regarding this bike.

My main concern right now is that I need to adjust my front shocks somehow, I am no motorcycle expert but I can get by with a good guide or reference but I looked around and did not found any info regarding these specific shocks, Visually I think they are the same from the Hawk 250 DLX? I need help tuning them out for my weight as I am constantly bottoming them out in big pot holes or hard braking.

I am adding the pictures of my bike for reference, Also a facebook member recently disassembled his shock for repairs but made no guide as to how to do or tune it so I hope this helps identify the shock absorber.

Marketing photo:

Real pictures:

Forks:

Hope you guys can help me out!
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 04-12-2021, 11:38 PM   #11

Due to rate exchanges it roughly went for 2700USD.
It isn't the cheapest model by any stretch, its the 2nd most expensive model from Vento Motorcycles and the only 250cc "Aventure" bike at this price point sold in México.

The GT-250 includes:
-Full LED Lightning.
-Alarm with 2x FOBs (You can turn on the lights remotely for visibility).
-2x Auxiliary LED fog lights, Pre wired to low beam lights.
-Hazard lights function
-Crash guards
-Pre-load adjustable rear monoshock
-Supposedly "17HP" engine.
-5 Speed trans
-USB Charger
-4 Gal gas tank (280miles range!)
-2x 38L Plastic waterproof and lockable luggage boxes with easy to remove mounts.
-56T Sprocket using 17T Pinion.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Due to rate exchanges it roughly went for 2700USD.
It isn't the cheapest model by any stretch, its the 2nd most expensive model from Vento Motorcycles and the only 250cc "Aventure" bike at this price point sold in México.

The GT-250 includes:
-Full LED Lightning.
-Alarm with 2x FOBs (You can turn on the lights remotely for visibility).
-2x Auxiliary LED fog lights, Pre wired to low beam lights.
-Hazard lights function
-Crash guards
-Pre-load adjustable rear monoshock
-Supposedly "17HP" engine.
-5 Speed trans
-USB Charger
-4 Gal gas tank (280miles range!)
-2x 38L Plastic waterproof and lockable luggage boxes with easy to remove mounts.
-56T Sprocket using 17T Pinion.
That's a really well equiped bike. I see you also have the counterbalanced engine plus other frame strengthening mods that the cheaper bikes don't have. If $2700 was the on the road price, then that was a good deal, my TBR7 was $1620 after delivery and taxes etc.

The CG engines respond really well to tuning, you probably don't have the exhaust catalyst that we have so you won't need a new pipe. Raising the compression and opening up the exhaust port works well also. Advancing the timing by 4 degrees with an offset key and finally a longer duration cam brings them up to what feels like 21-22BHP. I've done all these mods to my bike and it will easily get up to 75mph
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 04-13-2021, 09:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_in_az View Post
That's a really well equiped bike. I see you also have the counterbalanced engine plus other frame strengthening mods that the cheaper bikes don't have. If $2700 was the on the road price, then that was a good deal, my TBR7 was $1620 after delivery and taxes etc.

The CG engines respond really well to tuning, you probably don't have the exhaust catalyst that we have so you won't need a new pipe. Raising the compression and opening up the exhaust port works well also. Advancing the timing by 4 degrees with an offset key and finally a longer duration cam brings them up to what feels like 21-22BHP. I've done all these mods to my bike and it will easily get up to 75mph
I would like to know if I can do those mods to mine since I am a heavy guy its not like the engine handles my weight all that well. I maxed it out at 65mph with a 50T sprocket change but in too many seconds to get there.. First in my list is to use a bigger main Jet, Ive seen that 115 is what most use? Perhaps I could use a bigger one living at sea level?

Old 04-14-2021, 12:52 AM   #14

Quote:
I would like to know if I can do those mods to mine since I am a heavy guy its not like the engine handles my weight all that well. I maxed it out at 65mph with a 50T sprocket change but in too many seconds to get there.. First in my list is to use a bigger main Jet, Ive seen that 115 is what most use? Perhaps I could use a bigger one living at sea level?
Those mods can absolutely help. They won't blow your mind with warp speed power, but they can definitely put some extra scoot under your boots. The ported head combined with a WGK cam from Brazil called the "Bravo" that adds a bunch of duration and no lift turned my unbalanced CG into a very very torquey little monster. I am not a light guy either, and my bike is geared equivalent to what yours would be if you installed a 45 tooth rear sprocket. My bike tops out at a bit over 70mph, but the top speed isn't really the reason I did it. I wanted/needed to be able to sustain long distances at 60-65mph with the motor not roaring along at redline. It does the trick.