Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2021, 05:59 AM   #1

At my wits end!

Hi all. I ride a brixton bx 125. Fuel injected. To cut a long story short, I've had intermittent starting problems for a few months now. Sometimes starts first time, some days it doesn't. Recently won't start from hot but if left for 10 mins it will.
Had a new problem last week where the engine would feel like it's bogging down and about to stall when riding but then picks up again. Could be at 5mph or 50mph. Added some redex to fuel and it solved problem for a week or two. Another problem has raised its ugly head the past week. When I'm stationary in traffic, the revs sometimes rise to 4000rpm with throttle closed and clutch lever pulled in. Was fine the next day, but the opposite happened. Idle was fine but revs kept dropping so the bike stalled. Coming home from work yesterday the bike cut out while actually riding it at around 20-30 mph. I thought it may be the throttle position sensor. Replaced that but not cured the problem.

With the new tps fitted, it idles fine but bogs down and stalls when you pull off in first. Put the old one back on and ran fine on way to work but kept cutting out on way home.

Any ideas?! Sorry for the long post too!

Old 04-03-2021, 10:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jw73 View Post
Hi all. I ride a brixton bx 125. Fuel injected. To cut a long story short, I've had intermittent starting problems for a few months now. Sometimes starts first time, some days it doesn't. Recently won't start from hot but if left for 10 mins it will.
Had a new problem last week where the engine would feel like it's bogging down and about to stall when riding but then picks up again. Could be at 5mph or 50mph. Added some redex to fuel and it solved problem for a week or two. Another problem has raised its ugly head the past week. When I'm stationary in traffic, the revs sometimes rise to 4000rpm with throttle closed and clutch lever pulled in. Was fine the next day, but the opposite happened. Idle was fine but revs kept dropping so the bike stalled. Coming home from work yesterday the bike cut out while actually riding it at around 20-30 mph. I thought it may be the throttle position sensor. Replaced that but not cured the problem.

With the new tps fitted, it idles fine but bogs down and stalls when you pull off in first. Put the old one back on and ran fine on way to work but kept cutting out on way home.

Any ideas?! Sorry for the long post too!
Could be electrical issues with the fuel-injection, BUT I would start with a spark plug and move on to adjusting the valve lash (numerous videos on YouTube doing the valves on Chinese bikes). Then I would look into the fuel-injection.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-04-2021, 04:18 AM   #3

Cheers for the info pal.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:44 AM   #4

Not starting when hot is valve lash needing adjustment.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 04-08-2021, 09:34 AM   #5

Have you got any fuel lines near the head or exhaust?
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 04-10-2021, 04:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
Not starting when hot is valve lash needing adjustment.

Starts OK on occasion when warm now. The fault is intermittent. Main problem now is high idle or revs too low and cutting out.

Old 04-10-2021, 04:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTaoRider View Post
Have you got any fuel lines near the head or exhaust?
No mate. Fuel line comes from tank and straight into the fuel injector.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:55 PM   #8

Check your temp sensor.they can cause all sorts of starting problems.and make it run lean or rich