Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2021, 07:00 PM   #1

Oil cooler ?? Gear ratio ??

I know I have been asking a lot of questions, so I will combine 2 questions in one thread.. I can't help but to think an oil cooler would be a wise investment , and have watched some videos of installation of the kits. It seems like the lines are probably about 1/4 inch inside diameter. Can this rob oil,from reaching the rockers, or decrease oil pressure of the motor. . Are these coolers subseptable to damage ,and possible leaks from gravel that may come off the front tire?.. My second question is would I be better to gear my bike up, not for additional top speed, but to allow 4th gear to be shifted into sooner, and held longer on long hills? I don't care about ever going any faster than 55, but I don't want to crawl up hills, nor do I want to over rev my motor in the lower gears.

Old 02-20-2021, 07:37 PM   #2

The coolers do have benefits, but aren't absolutely necessary either. Their ability to resist damage does depend on the style, but most of the tube and fin style coolers like mine and others are at risk of being damaged more easily by a rock. I have mine mounted way up high to avoid this, and to date has been doing very well. I ordered the larger 125ml cooler specifically because of where I wanted to mount it (fender blocking airflow). The front fender needed to be shimmed a little at the rear 2 mount bolts to space it away from the cooler for clearance, but does not touch now.

These engines do not actually push oil through the system, but actually draw from the sump, through the cooler, and into the oil pump and then it flows to the head. They do not effect oil flow negatively to any part of the engine.

As far as your gearing question goes, the only way to know what will work best for you would be to start with the original gearing and go from there. The TT250 comes with a 17 front and 50 rear (16f 47r, or 15 front 44 rear also match this ratio) and most owners of said bike seem happy with it. Capable of running 55-60 without being too tall for off roading.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 02-21-2021, 02:38 AM   #3

There are 2 cooler types. One where the pump sucks oil from the sump, through the cooler, through the pump, splits to 3 streams, trans, piston & crank, head. The other type takes pressurized oil from the valve cover, through the cooler, back to the head. If the pressurized type springs a leak, oil sprays out. If the other type leaks it sucks air.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:51 AM   #4

MegaDan , You say they have their benefits, but are not a necessity .In what situations do they provide the most benefits? We have A couple of months here were we usually have high temperatures in the 90s,or high 80s. Most of my riding of this bike will be back,and forth on blacktop roads, were I will be getting some airflow through the fins on the jug. There are a few hills on the main roads were traffic runs 45-55 miles an hour, that I don't figure I can top in high gear, and this is the only situation that I can anticipate working the engine hard. I have already bought Rotella T4 , but will full synthetic reduce the negative effects of high temperature in the oil?

Old 02-21-2021, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
MegaDan , You say they have their benefits, but are not a necessity .In what situations do they provide the most benefits? We have A couple of months here were we usually have high temperatures in the 90s,or high 80s. Most of my riding of this bike will be back,and forth on blacktop roads, were I will be getting some airflow through the fins on the jug. There are a few hills on the main roads were traffic runs 45-55 miles an hour, that I don't figure I can top in high gear, and this is the only situation that I can anticipate working the engine hard. I have already bought Rotella T4 , but will full synthetic reduce the negative effects of high temperature in the oil?
There is one case where the oil cooler is really useful and is when you use the motorcycle in stop and go traffic, in fact you will fell it being hotter than when you ride it at higher speeds.

A Steady 55 mph ride will be less hurtful than a very slugish stop and go traffic.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:30 PM   #6

The City that I would be riding in would be Ripley WV. It's what would be considered by most to be a small town. It has few lights, and almost never had traffic backed up EXCEPT for parades, and the 4th of July, which is a huge event for Ripley. I have seen people rig up electric cooling fans on 4 wheelers. I would assume it would not be a terrible idea on an air cooled motorcycle, especially if you only switched it on when needed.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:39 PM   #7

With regard to gearing, for what you r looking to do, the stock 17/46 will probably feel right for you.. if you ever intended on 65+ cruising at 7k rpm, then you can step up to a 42 or 40T rear, but that robs the torque so its best paired with performance mods.

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 02-22-2021, 09:41 PM   #8

I put an oil cooler on mine. https://imgur.com/a/RzmaXYh

You can see a few pics there, I also threw a guard over it to protect it.

I used this cooler: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For some reason at the time of posting that oil cooler is about $33. I am a little upset since it was $70 when I bought it a bit over 1 month ago. WTF? I even checked around and it was the cheapest I could buy. Oh well D:

Old 02-22-2021, 11:07 PM   #9

Thanks for the pics slithica, and the link . Did you buy the protective grill for yours, or utilize something else? I found what looks like the same one for $22 bucks, and when I bought it it had a $5 off coupon. I ended up paying $17 for it. https://www.amazon.com/Qiilu-Motorcy.../dp/B07WJ2ZZ8G

Old 02-22-2021, 11:58 PM   #10

Are the banjo bolts M10? just wondering if they could be substituted for AN fittings to cut the hoses down to custom lengths.

Also wondering if there's enough room on the screen/filter holder to drill and tap an 1/8 npt for a temp sensor...

Edit: probably easier to tee into the line for an NPT sensor.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:01 AM   #11

Hell uva deal. The hoses alone are worth that! M10 on the oil adapter at engine, M12 on the cooler.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:15 AM   #12

What?? Didn't realize an oil-cooler is only like $18, are you kidding me! I thought it was closer to $100 which is why i didn't immediately add it to my wish-list.. but damn at this price its a no-brainer.. thanks for that Amazon link.. im planning to purchase it and worst case it fitment is an issue, it has free-return so no harm no foul.

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 02-23-2021, 10:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
What?? Didn't realize an oil-cooler is only like $18, are you kidding me! I thought it was closer to $100 which is why i didn't immediately add it to my wish-list.. but damn at this price its a no-brainer.. thanks for that Amazon link.. im planning to purchase it and worst case it fitment is an issue, it has free-return so no harm no foul.
No they were in the $70 to $80 range but just dropped in price. And i though i got a deal at $44.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 02-23-2021, 02:49 PM   #14

Yeah, I paid $65 for mine. For $23 I wouldn't even hesitate to order it lol
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 02-23-2021, 03:13 PM   #15

Shipping fees make Amazon non viable down here in Australia...when factored in it's still cheaper to get the same product from Aliexpress. Though I'm ok with not giving my dollarydoos to Jeff Bezos.

But at those prices its a bargain.