Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2021, 10:06 AM   #1

Helmet style, or styles ?

I hope I am posting this in the right area.
I have a Brozz 250 on order, and have been looking at helmets on Amazon, and other similar sights. I know that the actual off road helmets are the ones with the big long visors, and have the area around the mouth and chin pointed outward. Is this type helmet what you wear when you ride on the street, and on road as well ? Do you have different helmets for different seasons ,or hot weather? What helmet style do you all favor?

Old 02-11-2021, 12:30 PM   #2

Unless you're doing a lot of offroading, the enduro/mx style helmets aren't necessary, personally, I like the aesthetics and prefer wearing goggles as they don't fog as much, but a full face helmet is better for keeping wind noise down, and depending on the quality, more protective, particularly against the weather.

Buy the best helmet you can afford, I would say probably get a full-face helmet, and ride.

Don't get a brain bucket, and make sure that the helmet fit is snug, but not so tight that you can't get it off. Helmets tend to break in a little bit, too, so tighter is better.

Old 02-11-2021, 01:03 PM   #3

I personally always wear full faced helmets. But I don't like wind in my face, and especially have no desire to smack anything with my face at speed.

Old 02-11-2021, 02:06 PM   #4

Whichever style you decide on I strongly recommend that you buy it in person and not online. Internal helmet shapes and sizes vary from make to make and model to model. I've got 1 street bike helmet that's a large, 1 half helmet thats a medium and my offroad helmets are XL and they all fit great.
I've got a dual purpose helmet, flip up face, chin guard, and visor. It works ok all around but has drawbacks. The visor catches the wind on the highway and the screen fogs if it's very cool outside. It's a compromise.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 02-11-2021, 02:16 PM   #5

I have both Off-road helmet and a full faced helmet. Anytime I'm on the street I'll wear the full faced helmet. Flying rocks and large insects will hurt at any speed. I wear the off-road helmet only when off-road. Mostly because it's usually hot and riding at slow speeds.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 02-11-2021, 03:18 PM   #6

I personally prefer my Zoan Synchrony Dual sport style helmet, all the features of a full face road helmet, plus the visor and extra room around the chin of an MX helmet...

Old 02-11-2021, 04:37 PM   #7

This is the one i use, served me well on my last bike and continues to serve me well with this one, on and off road:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Earbuds that fit inside the helmet:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 02-11-2021, 05:41 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice !! I was going to try to find one that looks like a German Field Marshall's helmet with the spike (just kidding).

Old 02-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #9

I like "modular" helmets that can be used in a few different configurations. I bought this one below from eBay. It's very inexpensive and functional. It also has a sun visor built in that can be flipped up and down.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372157969352

I think I got a medium (I just measured and sized according to their guide) and it fits absolutely PERFECT.

These 2 helmets are really cool as well!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/392412659403
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353281510045

Last edited by CaesarVis; 02-11-2021 at 08:09 PM. Reason: More info

Old 02-11-2021, 10:14 PM   #10

I know it would be best to buy one that I could try on, but I was checking out Amazon today, and discovered that if you see a helmet without a price,(price is shown when you hit buying options) that helmet is possibly a helmet that has been returned (I assume for improper fit),or has damaged box. I clicked on them, and they are listed as used. Most are described as like new, and Amazon is the actual seller of all I saw. I bought a red,and black one today, that should fit me according to the sizing chart. Mine was listed as like new appears to never have been worn. They have very few of these listings,but they all seem to be dirt cheap. I can't post a link to the one I bought because it is gone since I bought it,but it is a brand called Motor Fans Club, and is a full face modular,DOT approved helmet, and was $25.40. I know it is obviously an off brand ,but my Brozz will be black, so I think I will like it if it fits .I bought a large,but I saw another one just like it that was yellow, on a different listing. It was a little more, but still cheap.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:39 PM   #11

My 2 cents, fwiw. No matter what style of helmet you get, always aim for SNELL or ECE rated if possible. DOT standards are pretty lax when it comes to actual safety effectiveness. I can understand going a bit budget with the rest of the gear on your body, but one area I will never cheap out on is the helmet. Trust me, spend more here. You can get GOOD helmets for around $200 with SNELL or ECE ratings, and they are worth it. Scorpion and Bell both have some great lids that meet those standards and that price range.

Also, this is the perfect time of year to check out Revzilla as they have a ton of helmets on sale or closeout with pretty big discounts.

If I had to pick one helmet to fill multiple roles that had the previously mentioned ECE rating, the Bell MX9 Adventure MIPS. The face shield and visor can be easily removed for wearing goggles or street riding, and you can also get transitions face shields, which while pricey are worth their weight in gold. I LOVE my Bell with the transition shield.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 02-12-2021, 01:40 AM   #12

I crashed and burned on black ice earlier this week. My head scraped along the pavement and curb about 10” as the layer over bike pushed me by my leg. I recommend Bell as a good option as my head feels fine.
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 02-12-2021, 02:27 AM   #13

Definitely don't go for what's cheapest, while a $25 motorcycle helmet will protect you better that a bicycle helmet, you have to ask yourself, how much is my noggin worth? Go with what megadan was saying, spend more and get something name brand, and better quality.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Definitely don't go for what's cheapest, while a $25 motorcycle helmet will protect you better that a bicycle helmet, you have to ask yourself, how much is my noggin worth? Go with what megadan was saying, spend more and get something name brand, and better quality.
I guess I will get something a little better. I thought that any thing with a DOT certification would be adequate. I am something of a tightwad, as I think many who buy Chinese bikes are. My Wife says I remind her of Charlie Beary, because I always try to save a dollar, and it backfires on me. LOL

Old 02-12-2021, 01:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
My 2 cents, fwiw. No matter what style of helmet you get, always aim for SNELL or ECE rated if possible. DOT standards are pretty lax when it comes to actual safety effectiveness. I can understand going a bit budget with the rest of the gear on your body, but one area I will never cheap out on is the helmet. Trust me, spend more here. You can get GOOD helmets for around $200 with SNELL or ECE ratings, and they are worth it. Scorpion and Bell both have some great lids that meet those standards and that price range.
This ^

There are some cheap ECE rated helmets.

https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/ls2...helmet-review/

I have that Helment i got it a few years ago. Paid like 80 USD.
ECE Rated.

The British at Sharp gave that helmet, 4 out 5, which is above average when it comes to safety.
It's Just a Helmet, no fancy featuers, no nothing, just a helmet that is good at protecting your head.

LS2 have great helmets that are budget friendly, they are ECE rated and most of them are rated by Sharp.

AGV also makes ECE rated helmets that are not very expensive and have great safety ratings and they are also rated by Sharp.

As side note if a helmet is rated by Snell it won't be rated by Sharp and the other way around.