Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2020, 09:26 PM   #1

Carb, skid plate?

So I just ordered a TBR7 and the more I think about it the more excited I am to take it on adventured! I tend to love my machines lol. Reading a lot about them, I want to order a new carb before the bike even shows up, and are their any skid plates that will fit? Can any one recommend either a mikuni or decent quality carb? I wanna make sure I get the right thing and where else better to go than a forum of folk who love these machines?!

Old 12-18-2020, 09:34 PM   #2

I would say that you should get a Nibbi PE30, it's a great carb and good compromise between price and quality.
The PWK are nice too but imho they are bit more annoying to jet.

Old 12-18-2020, 09:47 PM   #3

Skid plate

Hi, I have 2020 tbr7, mine came with a skid plate already installed. I'm pretty sure yours will have one also.

Old 12-18-2020, 10:19 PM   #4

My 2019 has a pretty decent carb, all that was needed was jets to make it spicy. I suppose you should get the bike put together and run it first but I'm 99.9999999% sure you will be disappointed in throttle response - I would just do the work before even going through that. At least order the jets (&17 tooth sprocket) now. You probably don't need to buy a carb for it yet just to get going.

Old 12-18-2020, 10:29 PM   #5

I would wait on the new carb and work out what comes with the bike by getting some new jets. Put a few hundred miles on the bike and consider my options. In my opinion, the only reason to upgrade is to get performance improvement, unless you determine the stock carb is not tunable (that after putting in a good effort) These bikes are somewhat erratic idling so, in the first few hundred miles, they will demonstrate carburetor like symptoms that are likely more of a break in issue.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
I would say that you should get a Nibbi PE30, it's a great carb and good compromise between price and quality.
I would recommend against the 30. Even with a cam, head porting, and full exhaust I am barely tapping the potential of the PE30 with my bike. The PE28 with an exhaust would be a great pairing for the CG250 engine. Still flows more than the PZ30/VM26 "30mm" carbs despite being "smaller" thanks to it being a smooth bore.

Otherwise, for ease of installation and tuning, it is really hard to beat the VM26 as long as it uses the genuine Mikuni jets. Not really much of a performance upgrade, but it's so easy to dial in that even a complete novice can generally get it sorted with minimal effort thanks to the vast amount of information on the jetting from numerous members here.

Beyond that, the PZ30B (pumper) is the only other real upgrade to be had. The hard part is getting one that uses genuine jets on the pilot, which is a hit or miss affair. I loved having that accelerator pump, and to be honest I kind of miss it lol.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 12-19-2020, 09:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
I had a lot of problems finding a manifold for my PE30, ended up using a crf230 manifold with a 3d printed spacer. I don't think it's that much of an improvement over the VM26 that it came with after I did the jet kit mod to it.
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 12-19-2020, 10:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_in_az View Post
I had a lot of problems finding a manifold for my PE30, ended up using a crf230 manifold with a 3d printed spacer. I don't think it's that much of an improvement over the VM26 that it came with after I did the jet kit mod to it.
That's because your head can't flow enough to take advantage of the PE30.

And yes, the biggest challenge is the intake when trying to mount any of the socket style carbs.

For 95% of the people here, there is no real reason to go "bigger." Either get a PZ30B for the accelerator pump, or the VM26 for better running and ease of tuning, and be happy. I could hit 68mph with an exhaust, modded air box, and full exhaust on my first Hawk with the right gearing, and it only had a VM26. Sure, my current bike pulls a lot harder, and definitely has more power, but that's because of the cam and head porting, not the PE30. The PE30 helped the ported head realize it's potential, and the cam just opened that up more.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 12-19-2020, 10:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post

For 95% of the people here, there is no real reason to go "bigger." Either get a PZ30B for the accelerator pump, or the VM26 for better running and ease of tuning, and be happy.
I agree. A stock PZ30 is plenty for these bikes in stock form and I think for most stage 1 mods such as an exhaust with the proper jetting. I have one is a beautifully functioning carburetor and I think the casting on them is better than most aftermarket carbs. The PZ30b, ah, that is a sweet performance improvement I think for stock and stage 1 mods and I can't find any good reason to replace one on my HAWK. People talk about the acceleration of a PE or PWK but I say in my limited experience with stage 1 mods I don't find them better than a PZ30b in terms of acceleration. A great advantage to the PE and PWK carburetors is their side tuning capabilities but once you get a carburetor dialed in your not fiddling with it that much anyway.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:27 PM   #10

Wow! thanks everyone! everyone is very helpful in this forum. I'm part of a lot of other forums and can say whole heartedly that ive never had any one be this helpful! I'm thinking go with a PZ30b for the accelerator pump, can anyone recommend an exhaust? Also anyone have a good source where I can get a PZ30b and not have to wait 3 months to get it? for the exhaust I'm not after mega loud but freer flowing is a good thing. Also I had no idea these bikes came with a skid plate, thanks!

Old 12-19-2020, 11:42 PM   #11

https://www.amazon.com/NIBBI-Perform...8439233&sr=8-3

Old 12-19-2020, 11:46 PM   #12

The 30 is too big unless you are planning on doing head work. Honestly I would stick with the stock carb or a better version of the stock carb like the vm26 unless you are planning to go big or go home.
I have regrets about putting an aftermarket exhaust on my bike.
Sometimes I wish I left it with stock exhaust, but gutted the cat, and just the snorkel removal mod. The problem was I couldn't find good pilot jets. Mains are easy to find.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:48 PM   #13

I would go with the 28 mm Nibbi if you really want to do the smoothbore carb, but not go all the way for head porting

Old 12-19-2020, 11:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwowzer View Post
The 30 is too big unless you are planning on doing head work. Honestly I would stick with the stock carb or a better version of the stock carb like the vm26 unless you are planning to go big or go home.
I have regrets about putting an aftermarket exhaust on my bike.
Sometimes I wish I left it with stock exhaust, but gutted the cat, and just the snorkel removal mod. The problem was I couldn't find good pilot jets. Mains are easy to find.
your probably right, I'll try that first... okay then! anyone have a link to good, reliable jets for the stock carb? theirs like... 100000 different jet kits and im not sure which is correct x.x

Old 12-20-2020, 02:13 AM   #15

https://www.amazon.com/Cycra-Armor-P.../dp/B07C91JDRX

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Skid plate I got for my bike - Almost the exact same as the Orion XRB250L, fits perfect. It is polymer, a bit stronger than plastic, but for now until it busts up; I've gone through some pretty rough stuff and didn't even put any marks on it except surface. And I heard it bottom out, so it must be pretty tough! Was going to get an aluminum but out of my price range. Anyway, metal retaining bar in front that attaches with two 8mm bolts, then the rear slides into place using the frame as a latch point. I used some metal washers to extend the opening on the skid plate itself - without them when attached the front points downward. . .

Unless you've got a plate already and I'm just posting for nothing lol

Second the VM26 from MegaDan - That's what I put on mine, without jetting 'twas much nicer on startup. My vacuum hose leading to the intake manifold was also smashed between the gas tank and engine and would cause stalling - thought it was the PZ30 but nope. Found out about the vacuum hose after I removed the stock carb.