Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2008, 10:49 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to PorterzCustomz
Re: Muffler replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick
What replacement muffler can I get for my '07 Lifan GY-5, that is quite ? The original is good, only 150 miles on the bike just to loud for my taste.
Ru for real? That is the most quiet one you can get... Most think its too quiet and get a louder one ive never herd of someone wanting to get one that is quieter, I don't think you can do much unless you want to try and choke the engine up but then you would loose power and it would run poorly. That's how stock engines sound, its not electric..

If your really serious and it bothers you that much you can weld in a cat from a hibird to add restriction but you will be loosing power the more you try and choke the engine. Maybe you have an exhaust leak or something? Stock its pretty dang quiet for a 200cc thumper

Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 PM   #2

I have spent considerable time looking for a better quality but not outrageously priced muffler for mine and this link lists the best I could find, you could probably find better prices but this showed the all the mufflers on one link.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/cm...&sort=priceasc

Old 04-17-2008, 11:59 PM   #3

Mick is there a chance that your leaking around the header or somewhere else?

Old 04-18-2008, 12:42 AM   #4

Quote:
I'm serious as your topless picture. My buddies Viva is quiet, this Lifan far exceeds it. There is no leak, just a sh*tty piece of metal called a muffler. I don't expect a electric scooter engine here, Lol- but I do not want to have people up at 2am with a ratty 200cc running around. Now if this were my GT or Z28, we would not be having this conversation. :wink:

Later
Chances are his Viva is quieter because of the Cat headpipe. By releasing heat through the cat, you hear less sound out the tailpipe.

The other option is to junk the stock junk muffler, and install a 2 stroke silencer. Most will fit, as long as it has a straight 2-3" nipple on the inlet size. You will need to weld it on, as well as likely replace the packing. A good used unit will run $20-30, and a packing kit will run you around $10..

Here is a picture of my wifes Jet-Tah with a KX-250 silencer.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Thank you. I am looking into a 2002 Kawasaki KX 250 FMF Powercore Silencer right now.
You will need to grind the last top mounting tab off. Cut your muffler off at the flange. The KX250 gives you alot of room with straight pipe to weld up with.. Was alot better than the Silencer I installed on my Viva. Glass always sounds better than baffles in a single cylinder engine.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #6

Quote:
I'm serious as your topless picture.
"I don't care who you are, that's funny right there."
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 04-18-2008, 08:54 AM   #7

I think that my lifan is too loud too. I am considerate of my neighbors when I leave for work in the morning or coming home late at night.

Mr neighbors dr 250 is lot quieter.

USMC. Is the KX250 silencer quiet? I saw them selling pretty cheap on ebay.

Allen

Old 04-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterzCustomz
Quote:
What replacement muffler can I get for my '07 Lifan GY-5, that is quite ? The original is good, only 150 miles on the bike just to loud for my taste.
Ru for real? That is the most quiet one you can get... Most think its too quiet and get a louder one ive never herd of someone wanting to get one that is quieter, I don't think you can do much unless you want to try and choke the engine up but then you would loose power and it would run poorly. That's how stock engines sound, its not electric..

If your really serious and it bothers you that much you can weld in a cat from a hibird to add restriction but you will be loosing power the more you try and choke the engine. Maybe you have an exhaust leak or something? Stock its pretty dang quiet for a 200cc thumper
How would you know how quiet his bike is? You have a GY-2, not a GY-5. They are not necessarily the same muffler. Weren't you just ragging a guy yuesterday about posting info with ignorance of the topic at hand??

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 04-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #9

I have a GY 125 and it is very loud as standard, even more so now i've stripped out the baffles.

If you cut out the exit to the can and weld in a 34mm tube you can insert a 'DB Killer', takes the rasp out of it and doesn't lose you too much (if any) power.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:27 PM   #10

Mine is too loud also. I once had a Honda 350XL and it was much quieter. This muffler is OK for offroad but for street use I would prefer less volume. More like Bbrrooom and less like Bbrraattt. I was thinking of looking for a glass pack type.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #11

right now I have no muffler and my bike is LOUD

its so loud that my neighbor said that every time I come home and I am about a block away he thinks his dog is growling.

I also live in on a very tight street (apartments and condos everywhere, cars parked and lined on both sides of the street) and the closeness of everything just amplifies everything.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #12

Porterz - 'Quiet' is relative. Don't be a jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterzCustomz

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 04-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #13

Well the KX is not much louder than the oem, but it is a much deeper tone. in this case it has to do everything with the core diameter fo tone control.

This might be a better application for your application. I had this on my bike before switching to the RZV silencer http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=270113992917 . Was a good silencer, I just didnt like the "street" sound of it.

In your case, no pun intended, you might want to look for a silencer with a tail pipe. This will allow the gas to expand into the silencer, than contract again before exiting. Laura's Jet-Tah is a quiet silencer, when you pull it to WOT, it will bark. we have both learned to keep the throttle down.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #14

I want a street sound.

The YZ silencer is a quieter more street pipe.

Allen

Old 04-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #15

Interesting discussion. I consider my bike to be pretty quiet. It reminds me of the old CT90.

One thing to consider though, is that I've lost my hearing over the years. Damn kids and their loud music! :wink: 8)
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project