Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2020, 01:20 PM   #1

3 years old and First breakdown, check you wires around your exhausts

I stopped and got off leaving it running to look at a tree that was down across my path, thankfully on my own property. I turned back to the Rhino only a few feet away and noticed smoke coming from the handbrake wires, the wire was cooking so I shut it down immediately. With that, I couldn't start it again, no juice, and no idea why that wire started to cook?
I pushed the rhino back to my garage and looked it over and didn't see what caused it but knew that wire was shot. I jerry rigged a jumper for the starter relay to get it to start and run.
I checked the glass fuse and it looked good, I even jumped it to make sure and still no juice. Even when I got it to start with the relay jumper it ran but no electric for the gear lights, the headlights or tail lights.
I later found out what caused the electric issue. Right above the rear tire is a wire that goes to the foot brake reservoir area, right where it crosses the exhaust that wire drooped and the wire cooked and shorted out the circuit and I bet burned out the regulator. So I traced back the burnt hand brake wire back to a plug and disconnected it and spliced the good ends together doing away with the handbrake starting lockout. I cut the burnt wire over the exhaust and re-spliced it together, the rest of that wire looks good. I'm gonna order a new regulator, hopefully, that'll get my electricity back up. This shouldn't have happened, but at least it is a minor issue. I'm just glad that I wasn't deep off road somewhere when it happened.