Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2020, 09:22 PM   #1

Chain / sprockets 520 stock

Okay - so apparently I have a different setup on my bike. My chain is a 520, and I have a 13T front, 44T rear. I'm okay as far as ratio, I'm able to get up over 70 downhill, with the wind, on a Tuesday lol anyway I'm wondering about the rear sprocket change. I'd like to lower the RPM range on the upper end of the final so I'm not so screamy at 50.. I would lose a few teeth; right? I did try to get a 17T front and was unsuccessful - and if I did, I don't think it would fit. The front guard already has some hits on it..

The back sprocket does have 4 bolts, but the spacing is a little different than what I was able to find compared to the Hawks rear. From one bolt directly across to the other, I'm getting right at 3.5in apart. Some of the ones I've found for the Hawk, even the 520 pitch, seem to have either a different bolt pattern, or a different spacing.. I have an X-Motos XMB-88 but it's the DLX version with the lights and signals...

I'm going to start with the chain for now - and wait to do sprockets later, if I can.. may have to end up taking it somewhere for that..

But - for sprockets, I just need some clarification on teeth up / down for a lower top end RPM.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:27 PM   #2

Up in the front for more speed. Down in the back for more speed. Down in the front more torque less top end. Up in the rear more torque less top end. For example I'm running a 17F 40R and the engine sails at 50-55 without sounding like she wants to blow. I can also still pop up power wheelies in 1st. Win win.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:45 PM   #3

Awesome - thanks!

Now I just need to find something that'll fit. The 104mm bolt spacing looks to be a little big for what I have; also 4 bolts. Unless I can just change out the rear rim? A little far for just a sprocket, but I'd like it to at least be able to hit the interstate IF need be..

Old 11-12-2020, 09:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plump Kibbles View Post
I have an X-Motos XMB-88 but it's the DLX version with the lights and signals...

But - for sprockets, I just need some clarification on teeth up / down for a lower top end RPM.
These Chinese CG/CB engines generally can fit 17 tooth sprockets, some barely, like the Hawk, but using the 428 chain. The bikes coming with the 520 chains are relatively new (or less popular due to price, like the Pitster XTR lineup) and seem to be limited in what you can throw in the front. I would suggest simply calling the dealer (I am assuming Orion?) and see what they suggest or sell. If this is not the Orion bike, where did you purchase from?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-12-2020, 09:38 AM   #5

My TBR7 came with a 530 chain, 12 front and 38 rear stock. It was way too much torque and was screaming at 55mph in this setup.

I changed it to a 13T front, 32 rear and 520 chain based on sprocket availability. With the 520 chain setup, it is bigger, so likely 13 tooth is likely the max. I did not try a 14 but thinking it probably would be too tight.

See the 2021 TBR7 thread for details and ordering links.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:56 AM   #6

As an observation, I think it's easier for me to wheelie with the larger front sprocket. With the smaller one that came stock the bike would run out of rpms so fast in 1st gear that the tire would drop after almost no distance.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 11-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #7

if you can measure your sprocket bore diameter and bolt circle, you will likely find something off the shelf from JT... when i supermoto's my Roketa, i swapped in 86 ninja 250 rims, so i had to convert to 520 chain... LOL i run a 13/38 (if memory serves correctly, its been 6 years since i did it) because it was the smallest that fit my rims...LOL

Old 11-12-2020, 06:13 PM   #8

Well, I need to log in more often lol I wasn't aware of the updates here.. Thanks everyone for replying!!

But, my bike is an XMOTOS model XB-88 DLX, https://www.orionpowersports.com/con...B250MANUAL.pdf <- manual for reference..

Did not get through Orion; came from Moto Pro in California - bought through Amazon. Gotta love that free shipping!! So far though, I love it - no issues as of yet. Feels just like a YZ250.. I am changing out the chain soon; already ordered. I'm at 200mi and it's starting to get a little stretched and warpy.. can also feel it now after my recent ride. Was with a few friends with their Ninjas so I was kind of limited - didn't want to WOT the entire time lol I do see the recommendation of changing sprockets with the chain - but sprockets look pretty much new, no scars or wear spots at all, and haven't really done anything demanding as far as riding yet..

I'll try to get some measurements after dinner on the sprocket in the back. Definitely won't be able to fit in a front 17T - and if I did go down in chain pitch, I'm kind of worried I won't be able to get a sprocket anywhere; and was searching and emailed JT for help but no response yet. The front right now is a 13T and, kind of worries me, I can see some rubbing on the front sprocket cover. My damn chain slide was WAY off of being close to straight when I was putting everything together and got that right.. Although, I may take it somewhere to get the back fork and alignment looked into... I have set the back tire 'true' and doesn't rub anything from the tire, but the left side adjuster will be maybe 31mm and the right will be somewhere around 34-35mm... I don't have any wobbles, I'm used to the feel of knobbies so sometimes its hard to tell, but no stability concerns. I even had my friends with me when we were out watch my back tire as I was riding to double-triple check. Seems to be all good there.

But, I was looking at measurements on the diagrams from JT and wasn't matching, I have 3.5in from directly across the bolt pattern, and if I just go to the next bolt center to center it's 2.5in. The ones on JT that I found were like 4in. furthest distance from bolt to bolt. Inside diameter I'll get as well - I think I can squeeze my caliper between everything to get a measurement.

Btw would rims - and I mean good ones - be any benefit over spokes? Just wondering.

Old 11-12-2020, 06:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTaoRider View Post
As an observation, I think it's easier for me to wheelie with the larger front sprocket. With the smaller one that came stock the bike would run out of rpms so fast in 1st gear that the tire would drop after almost no distance.

I'm not eh.. good with wheelies anymore. Had my BMW 650GS crush my right leg years ago and decided to take a little break from riding; my mistake riding in the rain on the side of a rocky mountain.. But, it does feel like I could pop it up - I believe I'm about 20-30lbs lighter than the Hawks. Air cooled so no radiator / fluids, looks like a smaller battery too. Easing back into the adventures again heh heh. I'm just curious why these are geared like scooters more than a dirt slingin' bike that it looks like lol

Old 11-12-2020, 07:06 PM   #10

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/part/JTR272/

That's about the closest thing I can find. I'm still just eyeballing everything and don't have anywhere close to take my bike to and have somewhat professional advice lol

Old 11-12-2020, 08:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
if you can measure your sprocket bore diameter and bolt circle, you will likely find something off the shelf from JT... when i supermoto's my Roketa, i swapped in 86 ninja 250 rims, so i had to convert to 520 chain... LOL i run a 13/38 (if memory serves correctly, its been 6 years since i did it) because it was the smallest that fit my rims...LOL

okay so the sprocket bore diameter is 56mm (2.20in) - bolt to bolt straight across the bolt pattern is 90mm (3.5in).. I believe I may have found the one. Though, it is a 31T.. is that going to impose any issues?? As in, achieving a lower RPM for 55MPH at least - am I going to have issues off-road on inclines? I don't want to shoot myself in the foot doing that lol..

A sixth gear would just be perfect. But, already know I'd have to engine swap to do that... meh.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:48 PM   #12

I believe your Bike is just a rebranded ORION RXB 250L , since you mentioned you had the lights Model . I think it would be worth an email to ORION to confirm that, if so then i can tell you for sure that the RXB 250L uses KTM style rear sprockets in 520.

You can also check Thumpertalk.com Chinese Bikes Section > RXB 250 for a lot of parts interchangeability info , as well as the RXB 250 Owners Group page on FaceBook run by David Cochrane the link to that is here :https://www.facebook.com/groups/570367237200442
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 11-13-2020, 12:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plump Kibbles View Post
Well, I need to log in more often lol I wasn't aware of the updates here.. Thanks everyone for replying!!
But, my bike is an XMOTOS model XB-88 DLX
Did not get through Orion; came from Moto Pro in California - bought through Amazon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
I believe your Bike is just a rebranded ORION RXB 250L , since you mentioned you had the lights Model . I think it would be worth an email to ORION to confirm that, if so then i can tell you for sure that the RXB 250L uses KTM style rear sprockets in 520.

You can also check Thumpertalk.com Chinese Bikes Section > RXB 250 for a lot of parts interchangeability info , as well as the RXB 250 Owners Group page on FaceBook run by David Cochrane the link to that is here :https://www.facebook.com/groups/570367237200442
Powersportsmax advertised your bike a couple months ago. Someone here was asking about the bike. They rebrand some of the bikes they sell as X-Pro. I just looked, and they no longer have the bike on their site, nor I could find it on Amazon (I am guessing Moto Pro is Powersportsmax). The bike they were selling seemed to be a budget version of the Orion RXB 250L; budget because it did not have several of the features of the Orion, such as adjustable suspension among others, but had all the meat and potatoes of the RXB and was something like $500 or $600 less. As RedCrow mentioned, you should be able to get answers for many bits and pieces of your bike from Orion. Heck, you posted a X-Motos manual. My guess is X-Motos is their OEM in China for their RXB 250L, but they spec it out with extras.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-13-2020, 01:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Powersportsmax advertised your bike a couple months ago. Someone here was asking about the bike. They rebrand some of the bikes they sell as X-Pro. I just looked, and they no longer have the bike on their site, nor I could find it on Amazon (I am guessing Moto Pro is Powersportsmax). The bike they were selling seemed to be a budget version of the Orion RXB 250L; budget because it did not have several of the features of the Orion, such as adjustable suspension among others, but had all the meat and potatoes of the RXB and was something like $500 or $600 less. As RedCrow mentioned, you should be able to get answers for many bits and pieces of your bike from Orion. Heck, you posted a X-Motos manual. My guess is X-Motos is their OEM in China for their RXB 250L, but they spec it out with extras.
Very helpful and informative; thanks!

I didn't know that about my bike.. and you're right - I can't find it anywhere online to buy with the light kit. Was listed the same price on Amazon, 1799.99, as the standard dirt bike version.

I did take a look at some KTM sprockets but I'll have to go back and take another look. As far as asking X-Moto, when I asked them about the oil weight they told me standard motor oil... got the spec later on Google lol

I'll give it a shot and see if they know anything on the rear shock..

Speaking of re-branding; has anyone seen the newer Hawk bikes?? They're "X-Pro Hawk" now... at least on amazon anyway..

And do usual power sports shops deal with these; as far as a possible trade-in later?

Old 11-13-2020, 01:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post

Yeah, parts or anything really on this bike is scarce lol Facebook though; I don't have. Call me cynical but, I just can't do Facebook anymore. I do have thumpertalk though, I'll peruse around there to see what I can dig up.