Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #1

Had my Hi Bird for a month

Thought i would post a report on my HiBird 250 enduro after owning for 1 month. Overall I'm very happy with it. Have not put many miles on it yet. It is strictly for enjoyment, work is a 40 mile trip down the Interstate to Dallas so no thanks on that. I live in a rural part of the county and enjoy the performance on the dirt roads a nd poorly maintained roads I encounter.
Only problems I have had were just some fasteners that got loose. I was aware of this ahead of time and had locktite on hand while putting the bike together. Also the front tire was'nt seated correctly on the rim. Had to work a bit to get it seated properly. Can not tighten the screws that hold the heat sheild on the exhaust pipe, Will re-tap the threads.
Things I have changed are getting rid of the logo on the seat and flames on the side panels. Also repainted the side panels to match the tank cover and fenders. I painted the outsde edge of the headlight assembly to stop the light from feeding back at me at night. Just finished installing the Trail Tech Vapor unit to keep track of speed, RPM, Head temp, air temp and clock. Found out the original speedo was a bit optimistic. Top speed is now measured at 62 MPH @8000RPM. Bought some new tires and tubes but have not yet put them on.
Future plans will include some type of mount for my GPS so I can use the bike on geocacheing trips. A smaller back sprocket than the 46 on it now. I feel the bike has enough power but I would like to be able to cruise at 60-65 instead of that being top speed. Still have not found the WalMart seat cover but will keep looking. Maybe replace the head pipe with the cat in it with a pipe without the cat or simply splice in a piece of tubing, It sure gets hot there. A soft bag to attach to the rear rack would be nice to put extras in for those longer rides i hope to be taking soon.
Overall, this experience has been enjoyable and I would not hesitate to do it all again.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #2

Thanks for the report. The hi-bird 250 is on my list of possible next bike.

I mounted my Magallen sport trak using a broken lightswitch housing from a ninja and a braket made from an oil bottle. Painted it black and it worked great.

Made geocaching easy.

Allen

Old 04-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #3

A pic of that mount would be helpful, Haveing trouble visualisng it.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #4

I assume you got the bike from VBIKE in Oklahoma. How long did you wait for shipping and the MSO?

Does your HB come with a counterbalanced engine?

Old 04-15-2008, 02:22 PM   #5

Yes I got it fro VBike. I did the deal on Ebay and drove up to OKC to pick it up and pay for it. Got the Billof sale and the MSO when I got the bike.

kczukiman and universaldiver both had their bike shipped to them. They will tell you how long it took.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #6

I'm in Texas also, Houston to be exact. Would you mind describing the licensing process?

Old 04-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #7

I will have to snap one. I still need to swap it onto the new bars yet.

Allen

Old 04-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #8

1st I got liability insurance

2nd I got a license plate bracket with room for the inspection sticker.

3rd loaded the bike in the truck and got it inspected. I was told I also needed to get the "green form" Cost an extra dollar when I got the bike inspected. Turns out the lady at the tax office said it was'nt needed but no big deal. Would probally go ahead and spend the buck to be safe.

4th went to the tax office with the bill of sale, MSO, insurance card, receipt for inspection and green form. 8 minutes and 134.68 dollars later I had a license plate for the bike. The title is to come in the mail. (could have took less than 8 min if I had not renewed the plates on my car at the same time.

Very simple and Zero hasle except I took off on Good Friday to get the bike registered and the tax office was closed.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake
Does your HB come with a counterbalanced engine?
It does not have a counterbalance but I am not sure that I would need one. No vibrations that have felt extreme.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #10

I went through all the pics I could find and didn't have one posted anywhere.

I doesn't look like I have made it yet in my August ride.

Allen

Old 04-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
It does not have a counterbalance but I am not sure that I would need one. No vibrations that have felt extreme.
Yeah, I probably wouldn't want one anyway since they rob the engine of precious horse power.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #12

Thanks for the update Ca25l.Where did you get the tach?I would like to get one as well.My speedo is off 7mph fast.I found that out by using one of those trailerd speed checks.I think since I'll be doing street riding for the most part I am going to maybe go to a 42 on the rear.I feel like I need a 6th gear at times.What tires did you go with?I am thinking of ordering the ones katorander has.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #13

Sounds like it has been a good bike. Nice report!

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 04-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #14

This is the unit I got.

http://www.trailtech.net/75-701.html

Needed to get the 12mm sensor since the kit comes with a 10mm sensor for the head temp. They charged 6 or 8 dollars more because of the difference in cost of the sensor.

I just removed the original speedo and stuck the new one on the same bracket. I'll try to get some pics up. If you search here for the key word "vapor" there is a post with pics of an install. Thats what sold me.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:56 PM   #15

I went with the same tires, Duro Medians, that Katoranger got. They looked like the right tire for the types of riding I am interested in. Looked around and it looks like he got the best price on them as well. (If I keep it up, before long my bike will have a trunk on the back full of diapers and milk and ape hangers up front! )