Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2020, 10:02 PM   #1

fuel usage

My back has healed enough that I was able to take a pretty long ride today and it was a blast except for one issue, at around 40 miles I had to detour to a paved county road to get fuel, I left the house with a full tank and it took 2 gallons to top it off so that means around 20 miles per gallon. the first 5 miles was run in 5th gear at about 50 mph, the balance was run in mostly 3rd and 4th at 20 to 30 mph, is this typical for these bikes? the bike is running great and performing like a champ so I am at a loss, my honda 300 four trax would run nearly non stop all day long on a tank riding the same places.
hauling fuel is an option that I don't look forward too but if this is normal I will have to get set up for it because getting to a fuel pump isn't always an option out here in hooterville.

I should have mentioned that the bike is a 2020 Brozz Recon.

Thanks folks.

I.D.

Last edited by Ina Ditch; 07-10-2020 at 10:03 PM. Reason: forgot to identify the machine

Old 07-10-2020, 10:26 PM   #2

The "CG 250" correctly tuned you can do about 229 miles with 2,6 gallons. Yes those are uneven # because i'm converting them from km and liters.

That fuel usage is quite insane, that's near a Race 125cc 2T

Old 07-10-2020, 11:18 PM   #3

I have no issues hitting 50+mpg at any speed. Float might be sticking, or the tank is leaking. Also check your oil level, if the floats stick it could be filling the crank case.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
1974 Suzuki tm125, work in progress
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 07-10-2020, 11:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck9191 View Post
I have no issues hitting 50+mpg at any speed. Float might be sticking, or the tank is leaking. Also check your oil level, if the floats stick it could be filling the crank case.
50+ mpg is what these engine do when they are stock and no power mods. So yes he may be uber rich or leaking fuel somewhere.

Old 07-10-2020, 11:33 PM   #5

thanks for the quick responses. I have changed the oil 3 times in about 700 miles and there has been no fuel smell in the oil to this point but I will check that in the morning. I haven't seen or smelled fuel as if something is leaking but I will go over all that as well. the fuel cock was shut off last night, as a matter of fact I forgot to open it when I started it this morning and was surprised it wasn't running when I got back to it after running inside for my glasses. I'll check over all those points and also on my next ride I will note the exact mileage to come up with some accurate numbers instead of the estimated mileage.
Thanks again, it is much appreciated.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina Ditch View Post
My back has healed enough that I was able to take a pretty long ride today and it was a blast.
Glad to hear you’ve healed up enough to ride.

Something is definitely wrong, 20 mpg ? You’ve got a
Gremlin somewhere.
2022 GPX FSE 450R

Old 07-12-2020, 08:18 PM   #7

20mpg is crazy low, even with all the mods I've done to my bike I would still get mid 60's mpg. Something is definitely wrong, I would check the plug to see if it's running rich if not I would be looking around for a leak somewhere.
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 07-12-2020, 08:38 PM   #8

Just throwing this out there... Was the tank actually full or were you just reading the gauge? My gauge reads pretty much full even though I've used maybe the top third of the tank up due to the way the float is calibrated.. stays on full forever, then from 3/4 to a little under a 1/4 it goes really fast, then stays at 1/4 forever.. in other words the way the tank float arm is set up it stays at it's fully extended positions much longer than through the middle of it's range.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:23 AM   #9

I was also trying to check fuel economy on mine and found that it's hard to consistently fill the tank to the same point each time. This last time I let the attendant way over-fill it. Then I had fuel drooling out the cap and had to drain some out.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgman View Post
I was also trying to check fuel economy on mine and found that it's hard to consistently fill the tank to the same point each time. This last time I let the attendant way over-fill it. Then I had fuel drooling out the cap and had to drain some out.
If you check the tank there is a line that should be used as the "fill till this point"

To most accurate way to check the fuel economy is with the trip odometer, since the fuel gauge is not really that accurate.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:59 PM   #11

Even with all the mods done to mine and it tuned to run on the rich side, it still consistantly got 55mpg. You've got something wonky going on there.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 07-13-2020, 01:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
Even with all the mods done to mine and it tuned to run on the rich side, it still consistantly got 55mpg. You've got something wonky going on there.
my 1300 v-twin riding like an asshole still gets 30 lol.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
1974 Suzuki tm125, work in progress
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwowzer View Post
Just throwing this out there... Was the tank actually full or were you just reading the gauge? My gauge reads pretty much full even though I've used maybe the top third of the tank up due to the way the float is calibrated.. stays on full forever, then from 3/4 to a little under a 1/4 it goes really fast, then stays at 1/4 forever.. in other words the way the tank float arm is set up it stays at it's fully extended positions much longer than through the middle of it's range.
You got it G, topped it off Sunday morning and visually made sure it was full and did 80+ miles and the gauge barely dropped, topped it off when I got home and it probably held a little over a quart.

I did spend the time to check the oil and leak check and all looked good so I then jumped to the same conclusion. I am bad about leaving the fuel cock on so I was worried I was going to have gas in the crankcase.

Thanks for all the info, it's in what's left of the old memory bank.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spins View Post
Glad to hear you’ve healed up enough to ride.

Something is definitely wrong, 20 mpg ? You’ve got a
Gremlin somewhere.
Thanks Spins, I got paid back the next day though. my 80 mile ride was actually supposed to be at least twice that but going down a sandy / swampy road I haven't been on in years I came around a corner and up on a deep hole where somebody had sacrificed their wood extension ladder in what judging from the remains of the ladder was unsuccessful and in a oh crap moment I washed out the front wheel trying to avoid finding the metal stays. I was able to step off but hurt my back again picking the bike up. to add insult to injury it bent the shift lever ( again ) up against the side cover and with nothing to bend it back with I rode a slow race for ten miles to a pretty well traveled wide grade in first gear. I didn't have to wait for long and a guy came by and though I could tell he had reservations he did slide to a stop at the last minute, maybe he didn't see the green recon and wondered what a fool was doing in the middle of nowhere in this heat. anywho he loaned me a pair of channel locks and I got it going good enough to get home and finished it up last night.
a days rest and I was good to go again, just got back from an evening ride.
Oh, the road I washed out on is snake island road but it's more swamp than island most years.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:55 PM   #15

[QUOTE I washed out the front wheel trying to avoid finding the metal stays. I was able to step off but hurt my back again picking the bike up .[/QUOTE]

It could have been worse. At least you’re still riding!
2022 GPX FSE 450R