Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2020, 09:25 AM   #1

Stiff Steering

I put the TBR7 together last night and other than a small missing headlight bolt everything went together fine.

I went for a quick ride to the gas station to get some gas, boy does this thing need some help - clutch is sloppy - idles way too fast - brake adjustments needed - and rear shock like a trampoline. I'll do them next - they are fixable.

The only thing I was really concerned about is the very stiff front steering. Coming off other bikes, I've never felt this, so I don't know how to describe it other than "stiff".

I was trying to figure it out - parked it and sat on it and just turned the steering left and right, it looks like the left side reflector rubs on plastic, but the right side there's space. So now I'm wondering if something is bent (frame or forks).

Not being knowledgeable enough, is there a way to diagnose the straightness of everything?

Old 06-17-2020, 09:39 AM   #2

Be sure to clean the brake rotors real well with brake cleaner to remove the oily shipping film. Grease the steering head bearings. You will be surprised on how little if any grease will be on them.
2022 Lifan KPX250
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-17-2020, 09:31 PM   #3

It could be that the steering head to tight. You could try to adjust it.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:11 AM   #4

Ok - I'll probably try doing the grease steering head procedure. That'll be fun! I don't have to worry about loose ball bearings do I?

Old 06-19-2020, 10:06 AM   #5

I'd also check the routing on the cables and wires from the bars , especially since you mentioned a high idle. It's not unusual for the throttle and / or clutch cable to be misrouted to the point of causing the idle to go up when you turn bars to the far left ,or clutch problems when you turn far right. Also the same case for general electrical wiring being misrouted that causes pulling or binding at certain points , so I'd check that as well.

But, as they already mentioned first stop would be head bearing grease, or lack thereof. My Vader had almost none in it, and what there was i wouldnt go so far as actually call " grease" lol .
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 06-19-2020, 05:51 PM   #6

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by zburns View Post
Ok - I'll probably try doing the grease steering head procedure. That'll be fun! I don't have to worry about loose ball bearings do I?
I think you might.

Tags
steering, stiff