Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2020, 07:13 PM   #1

XF250 speedo drive leaking grease and top speed?

My bike is still pretty new but the speedo drive is leaking grease a lot. Is this normal or should I look at a new seal/drive unit?

I also tried a top speed run today. I got up to about 67 before I backed off. The RPM's were nearing 8k at that point and I didn't want to push it further. Is this thing gonna get faster as I break it in? I've heard the XF250 can do 75 but that's probably with gearing changes?

Old 06-15-2020, 02:33 AM   #2

Yes, you'll have to change the gearing to get a top speed that is much faster. As the engine breaks in, it develops more power, which allows it to pull taller gears with more ease. That's what people mean when they say their bikes are faster. 8k rpm is fine for that motor.

The grease could have been over filled, causing grease to leak out, or it could be that the seal is bad; it should be a standard seal that is easy to replace, just look at the small numbers on the side facing out, and Google them.

Old 06-15-2020, 03:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Yes, you'll have to change the gearing to get a top speed that is much faster. As the engine breaks in, it develops more power, which allows it to pull taller gears with more ease. That's what people mean when they say their bikes are faster. 8k rpm is fine for that motor.

The grease could have been over filled, causing grease to leak out, or it could be that the seal is bad; it should be a standard seal that is easy to replace, just look at the small numbers on the side facing out, and Google them.
I checked my front sprocket and I have a smaller one than I thought I did. I made this post before I did that. I thought my bike had an issue. Lol.

I'll keep riding it for a little longer then. If it keeps leaking I'll have to pull front wheel and try to get a part number for the seal.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:26 PM   #4

As franque states, that's just a little extra grease. Just wipe it off.
I lube my speedo cable annually on Q and I get a little goo once in a while. Kept the cable healthy for 10 years+ now. Worth a little weeping now and then.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #5

What size front sprocket was on there? With my stock sprockets (15 front and 43 rear I think) rear, am only turning about 7,000 rpms at 67mph.

You will definitely notice some more power as you put miles on the bike. I noticed this happen at around 2,500-3,000 miles.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh View Post
What size front sprocket was on there? With my stock sprockets (15 front and 43 rear I think) rear, am only turning about 7,000 rpms at 67mph.

You will definitely notice some more power as you put miles on the bike. I noticed this happen at around 2,500-3,000 miles.
15/43 also. I backed off when I saw the tach approaching 8k. I have no idea how accurate my tach is though. I also have the street tires on mine so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

But I'm planning on getting a 16 tooth front sprocket to drop the RPMs down as I'm doing only street riding for now.