Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2020, 12:48 PM   #1

Chinabike Reliability

A little perspective. I've been seriously nosing around at one of the most reliable, proven, durable reputation, time-tested, virtually unchanged for 15 years, Japanese bikes on the planet. So much so, it has a cult following....and that bike is....(drum roll please).....the Suzuki DRZ400. I'm particularly looking at the SM version for our paved twisties and canyonland here in Volcano.

Soooo....as always, I dove headlong into research on these bikes. Articles, tests, various forums, etc....and have really had an eye-opener.

Now, as we all know, when the truck drops off your hopefully-undamaged Chinabike Hondoid in your driveway, there's a list of "to do's" that many here recommend to the newby's. That list generally being:

1- Change oil immediately
2- Check valve adjustment
3- Check all fasteners and adjustments including wheel alignment, chain, cables, etc...
4- Ride

There are other extra mods people prefer but in reality, these are optional.

While in search of the DRZ400 and educating myself on this venerable steed, I've also discovered there are a list of to-do's highly recommended by the Forum Gods.

Said list includes:

1- Engine case covers. The mag cases are so thin, they may break or crack in a spill.
2- Fix regulator wiring harness connector ("free power mod")
3- Loose countershaft gear nut (Locktite fix but you have to use thicker Locktite like a liquid shim on the splined shaft and let it set)
4- Install manual cam chain tensioner. The ACCT applies too much pressure and will stretch the chain. Not so much in later models but it's still highly recommended.

These are just a few of the recommendations. Can these be considered mods?....or "to-do's". That's the owners call, as always.

Long story short, am I still chasing a DRZ400SM? You bet. I love Q, but I want something bigger, in a supermoto and currently China offers nothing, especially here in CA. Will this list of to-do's have me run for the hills? Nope. I look forward to the challenge when it eventually happens.

To our lurkers and newby's out there, there's always that doubt about being a new Chinarider and questioning our decision to buy our bikes, and Lord knows, sometimes we hear about it from others, as well. My point is NO BIKE, including my buddy's CRF450, seems to come out of the box perfectly and it doesn't matter how much you spend.

Ride on, gents.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-08-2020, 12:18 PM   #2

Excellent comments; thanks for sharing your research. I'm interested in a DRZ as well, since it falls within British Columbia's 400cc insurance cap. Can you confirm that some models had electric start? I've found conflicting info on that.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-08-2020, 02:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Excellent comments; thanks for sharing your research. I'm interested in a DRZ as well, since it falls within British Columbia's 400cc insurance cap. Can you confirm that some models had electric start? I've found conflicting info on that.
Thanks W&G!

The DRZ400 used to come in three flavors.

The "S" is the street legal, electric start, dual sport bike.

The "SM" is the supermoto version. It also has electric start.

The "E" was the more off-road version. No electric start and not street legal. Substantially lighter than the "S", also. Something about a different frame, I think.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-08-2020, 02:43 PM   #4

The E wasn't factory street legal, but didn't usually come with a kickstarter. The kickstart model is unofficially called a 'K' on forums, and were only made early on, but pretty much any DRZ you're likely to see will have electric start.

If I remember correctly, they came with a pumper flatslide carb, as opposed to the CV on Ss and SMs.

Last edited by franque; 06-10-2020 at 03:52 AM.