Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #1

Is the SSR XF250 availible as a 200cc version?

I was browsing the web before work today and stumbled across this:

https://www.saferwholesale.com/200cc...-xf200gy-e.htm

It looks like a 200cc version of the XF250. Is this legit? I was looking at getting a XF250 but if this is cheaper shipped I might get this instead.

Also I've heard the XF200/250 has engine parts that interchange with Suzuki parts. Is this true?

Old 05-16-2020, 11:07 AM   #2

If they still have the 200cc version, it will be the so-called 'NOS' or new, old stock from years ago. But yes, there were two versions of the XF with both a 200cc engine and a 250cc engine, but SSR have not had a 200 for years. Both were virtually identical to Suzuki engines--the 200cc was nearly the same as the DR200, and the 250cc was nearly identical to the TU250 but with a carb vs. the TU's EFI. I probably would not go with Saferwholesale because they will let you order an XF250 and then will call you later and tell you it is out of stock, and they can send you a Hawk or Bashan instead.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-16-2020, 11:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
If they still have the 200cc version, it will be the so-called 'NOS' or new, old stock from years ago. But yes, there were two versions of the XF with both a 200cc engine and a 250cc engine, but SSR have not had a 200 for years. Both were virtually identical to Suzuki engines--the 200cc was nearly the same as the DR200, and the 250cc was nearly identical to the TU250 but with a carb vs. the TU's EFI. I probably would not go with Saferwholesale because they will let you order an XF250 and then will call you later and tell you it is out of stock, and they can send you a Hawk or Bashan instead.
Thanks for the info. I think I'll stick with XF250 then. Anybody know a good dealer to get an XF250 from? I can find their pitbikes for sale everywhere but none of the street legal bikes.

Old 05-16-2020, 01:23 PM   #4

They tend to sell their bikes through dealerships, so mail-order for their big bikes is probably rare to none. However, call SSR and tell them your dilemma and see what they can recommend for you.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 05-16-2020, 07:31 PM   #5

I just found a dealer that's local to me for SSR. I think I'll look there first before calling up SSR. Thanks!

Old 05-16-2020, 07:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKng View Post
I just found a dealer that's local to me for SSR. I think I'll look there first before calling up SSR. Thanks!
It wouldn't hurt to call Safer Wholesale about the 200 and see how old they are. I have owned the 200 and the 250 and they are both great. Lots of xf250s on Cycletrader as well. Calling SSR at their corporate office is hit and miss, so try the dealers first. Good luck.

Old 05-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #7

I had no idea SSR ever dealt the 200cc bikes (XP/XF200). I always figured they only dealt the TU250 versions. Learn something new everyday!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-17-2020, 02:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I had no idea SSR ever dealt the 200cc bikes (XP/XF200). I always figured they only dealt the TU250 versions. Learn something new everyday!
They really didn't make sense. They were identical in appearance (still the same today) to each other. There was/is? a dealer out of New Jersey that had 60 second commercials on Youtube. Creepy robot voice and Chinese bikes rotating on a spinning showcase and they had one commercial for the XF200 and one for the XF250. In fact, I recall a member who was from NJ with the 200, and I figured he bought one after hearing subliminal messages in the robot voice. Thinking back, the 200cc might have made sense since that engine is cloned from the DR200, whereas Suzuki had yet to release the TU250. Parts might have been harder to come by for the 250cc.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 05-17-2020, 11:13 PM   #9

Quote:
They really didn't make sense. They were identical in appearance (still the same today) to each other. There was/is? a dealer out of New Jersey that had 60 second commercials on Youtube. Creepy robot voice and Chinese bikes rotating on a spinning showcase and they had one commercial for the XF200 and one for the XF250. In fact, I recall a member who was from NJ with the 200, and I figured he bought one after hearing subliminal messages in the robot voice. Thinking back, the 200cc might have made sense since that engine is cloned from the DR200, whereas Suzuki had yet to release the TU250. Parts might have been harder to come by for the 250cc.
Well that's interesting! I wonder if the DR and TU motors have the same bolt patterns??

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 05-17-2020, 11:38 PM   #10

DR200
Qingqi 200
Same or near same thing

Old 05-18-2020, 12:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
DR200
Qingqi 200
Same or near same thing
I always felt the Qingqi 200 was a superior bike ($ per value) to the real DR200, just due to the USD forks, braided lines, and less than half the price. The newer ones even had rear disk. The 2020 DR200 is still the same. I wish Qingqi would stay in the game.....but I ain't gonna lie, I'm opinionated, just due to 11 awesome, trouble free years with Q.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 05-18-2020, 12:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I always felt the Qingqi 200 was a superior bike ($ per value) to the real DR200, just due to the USD forks, braided lines, and less than half the price. The newer ones even had rear disk. The 2020 DR200 is still the same. I wish Qingqi would stay in the game.....but I ain't gonna lie, I'm opinionated, just due to 11 awesome, trouble free years with Q.
The beauty of the XF250 is that it is actually a better value than a DR200 as well as having the slight bump in displacement. It is funny hearing about all the inherent quality because Pete of Kronik Racing stopped selling the XF250 because he claimed that 3 out of the 5 he sold were returned due to major engine failure. One of the two that didn't go back is sitting somewhere in the high desert in member dh's garage!

Pete also argues that the Taotao Hellcat is inferior to the Vader, and he won't carry Taotao products, so that makes 2 differences we have because I wouldn't mind owning an XF250 or a Taotao Hellcat.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 05-18-2020, 12:38 AM   #13

Quote:
The beauty of the XF250 is that it is actually a better value than a DR200 as well as having the slight bump in displacement. It is funny hearing about all the inherent quality because Pete of Kronik Racing stopped selling the XF250 because he claimed that 3 out of the 5 he sold were returned due to major engine failure. One of the two that didn't go back is sitting somewhere in the high desert in member dh's garage!

Pete also argues that the Taotao Hellcat is inferior to the Vader, and he won't carry Taotao products, so that makes 2 differences we have because I wouldn't mind owning an XF250 or a Taotao Hellcat.
IMHO....which means basically nothing....is that the OHC motors really need to be broken in according to spec, as opposed to the CG push rod motors.

My dealer here in Sac had a brand new Qlink XP200 come back twice, in a short time, with a grenaded motor. The buyer was a short term member here who will remain unnamed (ancient history), but he felt the best way to break in a bike was WFO, for long distances. Both times, the cam locked in the bearings, snapping the chain, sending the piston into the valves....you get the idea.

As much as my dealer explained about new motors, hot spots, warranty, etc....this guy had his own plan. Obviously he knew better than anyone else. After the second engine, my dealer told the guy that he's on his own if he grenades it again.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 05-18-2020, 01:23 AM   #14

Quote:

Culcune, small dealers like Pete got burned by SSR because they made him return bikes when they couldn't come up with parts to honor warranty claims. In those days if you had a warranty claim they either returned your bike or pulled parts off another!!!Prior to this bike, SSR had been selling $500 pit bikes and scooters they weren't ready for people to hold them accountable.

Mine was one of those 3 that went back to SSR (Mine temporarily, it later returned with a new motor!) from the original batch of xf 250's.

Mine had a cam chain set to tight (I later realized it was likely my fault from tinkering), causing the cam gear to die early on, before the bike was even broken in. The engine wasn't badly damaged, but rather than put a new cam chain, tensioner, and cam gear in my bike SSR pulled a motor off a new bike and popped it in mine. I wish I had just grabbed the parts from Suzuki and fixed it, but opted to pay about $200 labor for a new engine.... not sure what issues the others had, but they decided to simply return their bikes which was terrible for the small dealership; SSR left the dealer on the hook for taxes and registration and title fees, or about $500 per bike!

Anyways, they've come a long way and the second motor proved to be very durable. Supposedly their new VP was a Suzuki North America VP. My local shop orders SSR parts using the same catalog they use for all the major brands which is a big difference between now and the old days. But still, why on earth are they selling bikes that supposedly went away in 2014??

Old 05-18-2020, 12:50 PM   #15

Thanks dh! Nice write up and history lesson.

2009 Q Link XP 200