Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2020, 10:37 PM   #1

Which Nibbi Carb

Hey guys! So I want to buy a nibbi carb for my apollo deluxe and id like someone to point me in the right direction with which one to order! I was fine with the stock carb and my jetting BUT there are guys that have their brand new apollos going in the 70'smph when they swap to the nibbi and different jetting. My bike might be a bit rich because I have a 115 main in the carb, even with the after market exhaust that 115 might be making my bike too rich. My apollo gets in the early to mid 50's then starts not wanting to go anymore if I hit the throttle more. Almost like it lost power around that speed. I have a great ground for my ignition coil and I have ruked out any issues. I'm thinking its my carb/jetting I am going to go down to a 110 main jet and see if this helps my problem but my gosh I still have to order this nibbi ive been hearing so many great things about . Thanks!

Old 05-14-2020, 01:12 AM   #2

It comes down to what side do you want/need the idle speed and mixture adjutments on.

The PE30 has them on the right side, so for guys like me with a Hawk, it makes life a breeze to adjust. Here is a picture of my bike with said PE30. You can see the big red idle speed knob, and the idle mixture screw just to the left of it. Super easy access for my bike.

The PWK30 has them both on the left side.

The power doesn't really come from the jetting, it comes from an increase in intake charge velocity, and thus airflow thanks to the carburetors being a true 30mm all the way through. The stock carburetors have an old school physical venturi that reduces the intlet size, and thus slows down the charge to create draw on the jets.

In either case they are smooth bore carburetors, so you will see a decent boost in both power and throttle response. If there was a slight edge to award in terms of performance it would technically be the PWK, but it would be hard to really measure the difference.

Believe me when I say that there is more than just top speed to be had. Low and mid range power increased substantially over the PZ30b I was running before.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-14-2020, 04:00 AM   #3

I would suggest PE28 with the flange and adapter - fit directly in stock location

Old 05-14-2020, 08:32 AM   #4

Thanks guys for the clarification on the carbs. Dan you're definitely right, I don't really need just speed I guess but I would like low end power as well like you mentioned. I feel not much power from my apollo past 45mph then its just climbing very slowly while losing power to go higher and once I hit 50's its game over and I can't even full throttle the bike because it will just lose all power. Low and mid range power increase would be amazing to gain. I am going to look at both the PE30 and PE28 to see which one fits my need better or fits the apollo better. Its not like the hawk where the carb is easier to reach, the subframe covers like everything on the bike, although I still think it will be best to have the adjustments on the right side. I'll look at the flange and adapter as well.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:41 AM   #5

The PE30 works great on my X22R which as the same engine as yours. I installed it before i did all the recent engine mods and performed better than the stock carb. I have the PWK30 on my Hawk which i feel has a slight edge over the PE30 due to the flat slide. Both these engines have been ported and CR hve been increased. I plan on swapping carbs between the two bike to which is the better carb.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #6

Jerry is there a very noticeable power difference on your x22 now? And yeah I was looking at the PE 30 and its good for my needs. I have to find an adapter and the pod air filter and adapter, the whole set up. I wish there was a nibbi kit that came with all of it. I'm seeing things separate. I'd love to know what set up you or anyone else ran with all the adapters and pod filters and such. Don't want to order wrong parts especially right now because shipoing is taking weeks.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloChinaRider View Post
Jerry is there a very noticeable power difference on your x22 now? And yeah I was looking at the PE 30 and its good for my needs. I have to find an adapter and the pod air filter and adapter, the whole set up. I wish there was a nibbi kit that came with all of it. I'm seeing things separate. I'd love to know what set up you or anyone else ran with all the adapters and pod filters and such. Don't want to order wrong parts especially right now because shipoing is taking weeks.
There was a very slight improvement on top end. Maybe a couple of MPH. Throttle is more responsive. The PE30 will work better on a ported head.
This is the intake i'm using. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FAGIS7U...v_ov_lig_dp_it
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-14-2020, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
There was a very slight improvement on top end. Maybe a couple of MPH. Throttle is more responsive. The PE30 will work better on a ported head.
This is the intake i'm using. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FAGIS7U...v_ov_lig_dp_it
What jets does the PE30 use?
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 05-14-2020, 01:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_in_az View Post
What jets does the PE30 use?
Standard Keihin Jets. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-14-2020, 01:20 PM   #10

Thank you guys for all the great info! I just swapoed my jetting to a 110 main from the 115 because it was still too rich even with an aftermarket exhaust and I'll report back letting Yous know how it is when there's a day it does not rain.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks guys for the clarification on the carbs. Dan you're definitely right, I don't really need just speed I guess but I would like low end power as well like you mentioned. I feel not much power from my apollo past 45mph then its just climbing very slowly while losing power to go higher and once I hit 50's its game over and I can't even full throttle the bike because it will just lose all power. Low and mid range power increase would be amazing to gain. I am going to look at both the PE30 and PE28 to see which one fits my need better or fits the apollo better. Its not like the hawk where the carb is easier to reach, the subframe covers like everything on the bike, although I still think it will be best to have the adjustments on the right side. I'll look at the flange and adapter as well.
just out of curiosity, do you have a tach on your bike? The way you describe the bike, it almost sounds like it is simply running out of gear. EIther that or it still needs to break in.

Old 05-16-2020, 02:03 AM   #12

Just seeing this dan! No tach on my bike. Still pretty new also, I now have 170 miles on it. I'm trying g to get the bike dialed in. I ordered a nibbi pe28 because the PE30 is out of stock everywhere unless someone has a link to that I'll gladly cancel and get that instead of the pe28. Right now I'm having random issues of power dying when I try to roll on more throttle past 50...sputters..then actually dies. I just ordered a new ignition coil because I think my coil is faulty..just confusing because its a new bike. Some days I have zero problems then other days if I really push it and try to open it up the whole bike will start to sputter ...pop then shut off. I smack the ignition coil around a bit then it starts up and I can get home BUT only if I'm coasting easily around 30ish..if I start to rev high again where the bike has to pull more power..it just dies. Apologies for the tangent but I'm trying to figure this out!

Old 05-16-2020, 02:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Just seeing this dan! No tach on my bike. Still pretty new also, I now have 170 miles on it. I'm trying g to get the bike dialed in. I ordered a nibbi pe28 because the PE30 is out of stock everywhere unless someone has a link to that I'll gladly cancel and get that instead of the pe28. Right now I'm having random issues of power dying when I try to roll on more throttle past 50...sputters..then actually dies. I just ordered a new ignition coil because I think my coil is faulty..just confusing because its a new bike. Some days I have zero problems then other days if I really push it and try to open it up the whole bike will start to sputter ...pop then shut off. I smack the ignition coil around a bit then it starts up and I can get home BUT only if I'm coasting easily around 30ish..if I start to rev high again where the bike has to pull more power..it just dies. Apologies for the tangent but I'm trying to figure this out!
While I am all for a good nibbi carb upgrade, I think you should give the bike a few hundred miles to break in still. These engines are pretty anemic until they get a few hundred miles on them and start to really loosen up. I can't give an opinion either way as to the 28mm being a better carb or not. I know Jerry really liked his CB250 engine with the PE30 even before he modified it.

As far as I can tell, the NIBBI PE30 doesn't exist anywhere that I can find. Must be completely out of stock for now. An alternative option if you just can't wait would be to go with a cheaper PE30 alternative via aliexpress.

Another option is a new gen PWK style carb I found with the round threaded cap that has the idle speed on the right like the PE30 and no 2 stroke power jet. I just ordered a 32mm to play with after my cam install. They also sell a 30mm that would work well too. Just bear in mind that I cannot speak to the quality of them yet, but I have my hopes up lol. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...71d94c4dmFzh2l

Hopefully the new coil solves your ignition issues, assuming that is what they are. That behavior doesn't really scream carburetor/fueling to me.

When you install that coil just be methodical about the whole process. Make sure the wires and connectors related to the ignition are all in good shape and not melted or damaged. Make sure all of the ground points are clean and all of the pins in the connectors are tight.

Toss in a new plug if you feel like it. They are cheap anyawy.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:41 AM   #14

Thanks for the great info. I definitely don't mind waiting until I upgrade the carb. With the jetting I have in the stock carb right now, the bike performs really well now aside from how the random electrical seeming issue happens randomly. I forgot to give you guys an update but when I went to the 110 it now pulls and has power it was no longer sluggish to get up to speed, definitely not as rich anymore. I rode twice with no issues then the 3 time I went back out the issue I mentioned above started back. I'm hoping the new coil helps. I will definitely do my best with properly installing it. Don't know if I mentioned but on one of my coil connections there is like melted something, plastic or something covering the whole connection, it looks like a clear coat of melted something , I sanded it all off and I'm gonna put the bike back together until the new coil comes in. Also dan ill wait for the pe30 to be back in stock , I just cancelled my pe28 order, im in no rush.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:16 AM   #15

i'm going to order this for my zong 223 OHC:

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/10050...9f4711b7e22d-0

do you know if it's a genuine nibbi or a knock off?

du you have jetting infos for a 169FMM at see level?