Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2020, 07:17 PM   #1

Head Scratching Apollo Db36 countershaft seal.

Well guys, I ended up picking up an Apollo DB 36 deluxe. Got it on Wednesday, but I was battling the flu so best I could do was get it assembled, but I didn't ride it. Started feeling better yesterday so I went out and started going over the bike. Got it all set up, but it was snowing so only rode it for a minute. Today was 47* so it was time to ride. Took it around the block, and as I was pulling back into my driveway I hear a pop. I shut the bike down and oil is pouring out behind the sprocket. I knew what it was as soon as I saw it, I blew out my countershaft seal. What I'm wondering has anyone else had this happen? My first thought was crankcase vent, but didn't see any problems there. I did however take it apart and reroute it for better flow. I pressed the seal back in, but there is no retainer on it, is this normal? I rode it around awhile after the fix, checking periodically for oilfalls, but it hasn't reoccurred. I'm nervous it's going to happen again and I won't catch it. Or shouldn't I worry?

Old 03-17-2020, 12:12 AM   #2

Well after some more digging tonight I noticed the hose running from the crankcase vent to the airbox was hooked into a port that wasn't even open to the inside of the airbox. I'm guessing this was a problem with the molding of the filter box. So I drilled the port out so now it can apply vacuum to the hose as it should.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:23 AM   #3

Glad you found it!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #4

Yep, plugged vent hose will do it! lol The seal is usually just pressed in with no retainer. Should be good to go now I'd think!

2019 Orion RXB-250L
2005 HD Sportster 1200 Custom
2000 Polaris 500 Sportsman 4x4
1986 Honda XR600R

Old 03-17-2020, 01:47 PM   #5

I just wonder if I'm the only one who has had this problem with their filter box, or if there is a whole batch of bad ones out there? There wasn't even a sign of a hole on the inside of the box, just the port on the outside.