Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2020, 08:07 PM   #1

TSE250 (Introduction) with video

Hi guys, it's been awhile. I parted ways with my beloved TBR (bittersweet). I really enjoyed that bike and for the time I had it, she was very reliable/fun. Moving on.

Recently purchased a left over '19 GPXMOTO TSE250 online (2 stroke enduro made street legal very easily). The day they recieved my check, the day they shipped the unit. Was shipped from UT to East TN in 3 days, picked it up at old dominon on a Saturday (sweet). Gary is the guy I spoke with and he let me purchase a heavily discounted leftover. The experience was awesome, and they have a growing community on facebook.

The machine comes in a crate (unless you pay extra) and requires assembly. If you guys thought that took awhile.... I spent roughly 7 hours assembling the TSE lol. Mainly front end related assembly, kick stand, skid plate, rear linkage bolt. It's not awful, and if you enjoy tinkering you may like it, I did anywho. The biggest problem I ran into was the front brake lever housing (Master Cylinder Plunger) wasn't machined properly and installing it pushed the plunger in too much resulting in a front locked brake. I can upload pictures/video of it at some point if some are interested.

The machine started right up, I guess I should say that it is a KTM/HUSKY '17FC 250 clone. With a Yamaha DT230 engine ( e- start, 6speed wide ratio trans). The DT230 was a dual sport engine Yamaha produced I believe in the late '90's, was exclusive to the asian markets. It makes a claimed 36HP (I feel is probably correct with jetting/exhaust). I was able to get a tag in TN (no inspection required here). It comes with a number plate or headlight (I installed the headlight) and a massive tool kit. The best tool kit I've seen ever come with a dirt bike lol, pretty epic!

I've only put a few hours on the machine, but did manage to do some acceleration runs with a Yamaha WR250R. Video is below.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:37 PM   #2

Congrats. We were just talking about this bike last week.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-10-2020, 08:14 AM   #3

It’s been a really good machine so far. I’m able to smoke my friends on their WRs and KDX in the woods. Here is a video of some riding in east TN, .

Old 03-10-2020, 02:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelJunkie94 View Post
It’s been a really good machine so far. I’m able to smoke my friends on their WRs and KDX in the woods. Here is a video of some riding in east TN, .
That's a cool looking bike, light too (205lbs). I used to work at a bike /atv shop and we were a KTM dealer also. For the life of me i never could ride a 2 stroke 125 and i had ridden many over the years (for the most part you have to wring its neck to make it go). on the other hand i have ridden a few 250 2 strokes including a desert race on the KTM 250 SX (52 hp). Way to much for me . Then i got to use a KTM 200 EXC and it was the goldilocks bike for me, Enough low down grunt for the trails and enough pep in sand washes etc.

Your bike reminds me of that 200 KTM.

Enjoy
Paul

Old 03-10-2020, 03:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsstag View Post
That's a cool looking bike, light too (205lbs). I used to work at a bike /atv shop and we were a KTM dealer also. For the life of me i never could ride a 2 stroke 125 and i had ridden many over the years (for the most part you have to wring its neck to make it go). on the other hand i have ridden a few 250 2 strokes including a desert race on the KTM 250 SX (52 hp). Way to much for me . Then i got to use a KTM 200 EXC and it was the goldilocks bike for me, Enough low down grunt for the trails and enough pep in sand washes etc.

Your bike reminds me of that 200 KTM.

Enjoy
Paul
I agree. The power on this bike seems about perfect.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-10-2020, 03:46 PM   #6

I'm kinda surprised that the WR was able to smoke it on the road. Was the WR stock?

Old 03-10-2020, 07:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
I'm kinda surprised that the WR was able to smoke it on the road. Was the WR stock?
Stock with a slip on exhaust (stock ECU). The TSE had about .8 hrs on it (lol) and stock (supposedly lean) jetting. Tonight I have rejetted it, and gutted the stock air filter cage (common mod). We will re run and I will link another video to it. These bikes are very corked up, it is the most quiet two stroke I've heard. I really like it, but many are claiming that with the gen 3 pipe/cdi these feel like near mx bikes.

Chris

Old 03-10-2020, 08:10 PM   #8

Ny mate here sells this bike and the brand...
He loves it but 2T is a near 250cc is a new novelty here etc, I rode it n power very manageable and nothing crazy etc

Old 03-10-2020, 08:19 PM   #9

You said you got tags for it hows its street manners. And dose the mco say motorcycle or offroad only/dirt bike I've always thought it be cool to have a street leagle 2 stroke.

2019 Lifan Xpect

2016 Harley Davidson Roadster

Old 03-11-2020, 02:25 AM   #10

I'm sure getting the needle jet turned around helped

Old 03-11-2020, 06:54 AM   #11

Great vid!

Old 03-11-2020, 11:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss27gogeta View Post
You said you got tags for it hows its street manners. And dose the mco say motorcycle or offroad only/dirt bike I've always thought it be cool to have a street leagle 2 stroke.
MCO says motorcycle, you take the MCO pay the sales tax and it's no questions asked. You will recieve plate in mail nothing required. Its counter balanced, and very very silky smooth. There is no constant acceleration/deceleration or coming onto the pipe etc. In terms of vibration, I think the WR250R is an excellent bike to compare it to. It is much stiffer however, even on the softest suspension settings, and the seat is like a rock. My seat is getting a bit softer with time. That aside, it does very well on the street. The stiff suspension doesn't bother me, I actually enjoy being able to really feel out the road. No idea on gas mileage, others on the ADV forum have claimed around 35MPG which sounds right. This machine is oil injected and damn, it barely sips the oil. Not sure the total capacity of the oil fill up but I suspect the tank will last easily 5 tanks of fuel if not more. I wanna say I used maybe 60% of a quart to fill it, can't remember. Stock fuel tank is 1.9 gallons, so you won't be going far. GPXMOTO, I believe, has in stock the oversized tank priced less than 200 dollars. Wanna say its a 3.1/3.4 but it's out there for those who want it.

Chris

Old 03-11-2020, 11:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
I'm sure getting the needle jet turned around helped
It was actually a stuck throttle cable, I can partially blame this on the WR rider (in vid). Now I just have to figure out how to outrun him!

Chris

Old 03-11-2020, 11:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelJunkie94 View Post
MCO says motorcycle, you take the MCO pay the sales tax and it's no questions asked. You will recieve plate in mail nothing required. Its counter balanced, and very very silky smooth. There is no constant acceleration/deceleration or coming onto the pipe etc. In terms of vibration, I think the WR250R is an excellent bike to compare it to. It is much stiffer however, even on the softest suspension settings, and the seat is like a rock. My seat is getting a bit softer with time. That aside, it does very well on the street. The stiff suspension doesn't bother me, I actually enjoy being able to really feel out the road. No idea on gas mileage, others on the ADV forum have claimed around 35MPG which sounds right. This machine is oil injected and damn, it barely sips the oil. Not sure the total capacity of the oil fill up but I suspect the tank will last easily 5 tanks of fuel if not more. I wanna say I used maybe 60% of a quart to fill it, can't remember. Stock fuel tank is 1.9 gallons, so you won't be going far. GPXMOTO, I believe, has in stock the oversized tank priced less than 200 dollars. Wanna say its a 3.1/3.4 but it's out there for those who want it.

Chris
Thats good to hear the mco says motorcycle dose it come with turnsignals or dose gpxmoto sell a turnsignal kit. I live in Indiana so the mco has to say motorcycle and needs lights and turnsignals to get a plate. I can for see one of these in my future since it should be easy to plate. I just got an rxb 150 so it might be a bit though.

2019 Lifan Xpect

2016 Harley Davidson Roadster

Old 03-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss27gogeta View Post
I had several street legal 2 strokes in the 60's thru the late 70's that did quite respectably against the 4 strokes.

Kawasaki A1 250, KE 175, Can Am 175 enduro, Suzuki 370 (not exactly street legal but, hey we were rural), Can Am 250 qualifier... almost forgot Bridgestone 90... I still have an early 70's Kawasaki 90 kids bike that is locked up and someday... and y-zinger 50 that still runs.

It amazed me that diesel trucks, capable of obscuring the highway for miles with black smoke emissions were OK and small displacement 2 stroke bikes were killing the planet...