Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2020, 11:08 PM   #1

Best gps for dual sports?

So what kind of gps are you using?

I tried the tomtom 550. Ploted first trip to a restaurant 11 miles from my house. It tried to get me to make 3 turns in the wrong direction. One of them was where there was no road. Yes I updated before I even mounted it. I just ignored it until I got to the restaurant. When I looked down, it wanted me to go back out on the road and make 2 more turns. I returned it.

I want a good one for where I ride in the NC mountains. 90% dirt roads. NO CELL SERVICE. Google maps on my phone is useless. I have an old tomtom. It's ok just not all the time. It's just too out of date. Gets confused at times.

Last edited by Its_not_a_honda; 01-26-2020 at 08:24 AM.

Old 01-26-2020, 04:49 AM   #2

I use an old Android phone and the Osmand app. Maps are in the phone so no cell connection needed. For forest service roaads I often use the Avenza app.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:41 AM   #3

Osmand is pretty good, you can also dl offline google maps and that works pretty well also. I had a Garmin for a little while, but it too gave me weird directions Android with maps downloaded is better than most dedicated gps units imo.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
I use an old Android phone and the Osmand app. Maps are in the phone so no cell connection needed. For forest service roaads I often use the Avenza app.
Maybe I'm technology illiterate. My cell phone on Google maps does not work if I dont have cell service. How the heck can a map app work without cell service?

Old 01-26-2020, 07:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_not_a_honda View Post
Maybe I'm technology illiterate. My cell phone on Google maps does not work if I dont have cell service. How the heck can a map app work without cell service?
https://support.google.com/maps/answ...rm%3DiOS&hl=en

GPS apps do not need cell service, so as long as your device already has maps stored in whatever app your good to go.

Old 01-26-2020, 08:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJboughtamoto View Post
https://support.google.com/maps/answ...rm%3DiOS&hl=en

GPS apps do not need cell service, so as long as your device already has maps stored in whatever app your good to go.
Well I'll be! Learn something new every day. I will have to try this out. I dont get how it will work but I will do some research.

Still want a real gps that is waterproof.

Old 01-26-2020, 09:00 AM   #7

There is a lot of info about Osmand on the web. It works better than any GPS I've had, and the full version of the app is under $10. I have all states west of the Rockies on my phone, streets, TOPO elevation lines, mountain shading, even wikipedia info. Because I do a lot of off road riding in remote areas I use track recording on almost every ride so I can find my way back to camp or ride it again.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
There is a lot of info about Osmand on the web. It works better than any GPS I've had, and the full version of the app is under $10. I have all states west of the Rockies on my phone, streets, TOPO elevation lines, mountain shading, even wikipedia info. Because I do a lot of off road riding in remote areas I use track recording on almost every ride so I can find my way back to camp or ride it again.
Downloaded the app. Thanks for the info. May have to hit you up for pointers.