Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2020, 10:52 PM   #1

Thumbs Up $15 magician tach made easy

Can't ride cuz winter snow storm, so I finaly installed my Ebay tach on the magician. Fairly straight forward. 3 wire tach red, black and green wires. Red to Black wire on 6 wire bundle coming from the cluster I think it's unswiched side of headlight circuit. Black tach wire to any ground and lastly green to ignition trigger wire on cdi box. Here is the link to the eBay tach.
cheap eBay tach link here

Old 01-12-2020, 09:23 AM   #2

Good post! Done the way I fancy with clear, concise instructions. There are many with little to no mechanical experience on here trying to get a cheap ride together and keep it going and posts like this make it a lot easier to fill in the blanks to get it done. On my bucket list for one day. What is the best way to tie in?

Old 01-12-2020, 10:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
What is the best way to tie in?
I am not sure what you mean. For the wires I just poke into the bikes connector from the back side usually and add a bit of hot glue and a zip tie. But on the cdi it is sealed where the wire goes in so I had to put the tach's wire in the connectors hole WITH the cdi box's pin. I think the right way would be to use some of these...

as for mounting the tach it self I am not sure if I will keep it there.so it's just hot glue and electric tape for now.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:34 PM   #4

If you can, it's a lot better to solder them in, I've seen connectivity problems with that style of connector.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #5

As a trained electronics tech I'd say never ever ever ever ever ever ever use those kinds of connectors, not only do they connect poorly to the main wire they compromise that wire too usually cutting it halfway up as well. A surefire way to get electric woes, specially so since they normally have little to no weatherproofing so the exposed copper in the connection oxidizes too.

Old 01-12-2020, 04:20 PM   #6

That is what I was getting at, the best way to make the connection. Done a lot of twisting wires and electrical tape in my day so not familiar with the proper good long lasting connection. Seems like the best way then is to splice into the line with a dual connector of some sort so you can plug both in. The HAWK digital cluster comes with that crimp style of connector and gave me some issues reading as it wiggled loose. I wrapped on the bare wire and soldered it. JerryHawk250 did a post about waterproof connectors that might be the best connector to work in this case.

Old 01-13-2020, 12:42 PM   #7

Excellent post, diyRdie. I especially like how you used your best crayons.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-13-2020, 01:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Excellent post, diyRdie. I especially like how you used your best crayons.
I only eat the blue ones cuz they taste the best.

Old 01-13-2020, 04:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
That is what I was getting at, the best way to make the connection. Done a lot of twisting wires and electrical tape in my day so not familiar with the proper good long lasting connection. Seems like the best way then is to splice into the line with a dual connector of some sort so you can plug both in. The HAWK digital cluster comes with that crimp style of connector and gave me some issues reading as it wiggled loose. I wrapped on the bare wire and soldered it. JerryHawk250 did a post about waterproof connectors that might be the best connector to work in this case.
If you want to be able to connect/disconnect, Deutsch connectors are great if you have the tools, but if not, solder and shrink tubing is your best bet.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:50 PM   #10

Thanks man, appreciate the post.

Old 01-16-2020, 09:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
Thanks man, appreciate the post.
Just trying to help out my fellow magic men..