Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2019, 11:18 PM   #1

Am I missing a hose?

I was inspecting my bike the today and just now remembered to take pictures. I hope my light is bright enough to get the gist across. I think I am missing a hose. But I can't find this hose on any diagram, so I'm left to think it wasn't even supposed to be there? Any ideas on what it's for? The hose with the device on the left side were behind the fuel switch btw. Are these 2 green highlighted areas supposed to be connected by a hose?

Thanks in advance!

Name:  Bike1.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  96.3 KB

Old 12-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #2

It looks like part of the system that injects fresh air into the exhaust stream. Before you connect those two together, does the air box have a drain?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakk View Post
I was inspecting my bike the today and just now remembered to take pictures. I hope my light is bright enough to get the gist across. I think I am missing a hose. But I can't find this hose on any diagram, so I'm left to think it wasn't even supposed to be there? Any ideas on what it's for? The hose with the device on the left side were behind the fuel switch btw. Are these 2 green highlighted areas supposed to be connected by a hose?

Thanks in advance!

Attachment 19592
I have that same apollo 250 and mine is missing the same hose. I does not affect the running or anything.

Old 12-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
It looks like part of the system that injects fresh air into the exhaust stream. Before you connect those two together, does the air box have a drain?
A drain for what exactly? I see only one other hose coming out of the air box, without taking off the fairings.

Quote:
I have that same apollo 250 and mine is missing the same hose. I does not affect the running or anything.
Yeah mine seems to run fine, but when I first saw this it was kind of concerning. Do you happen to know what these points are for?

Old 12-18-2019, 12:01 PM   #5

There is normally a drain in the bottom of the air box, which is normally equipped with a short piece of vertical hose that squished at the bottom. It's only there in case water gets in.

The air injection system blasts a little fresh air into the exhaust stream, to help lean out the mixture for the catalytic converter. Follow the hose to the control valve in your picture, then follow from the control valve to a fitting in the cylinder head. Please show us a pic of the other side of your bike and we can share the rest of the story with you.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-18-2019, 02:07 PM   #6

I don't know why 3 of these pictures are flipped but here they are

Air box without fairings:

Name:  20191218_125013.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  97.2 KB

The hose on the left side:

Name:  20191218_125517.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  98.0 KB

Where the hose leads to (still on left side):

Name:  20191218_125526.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  86.3 KB

and finally, the right side:

Name:  20191218_125537.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  96.6 KB

Old 12-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #7

If you're taking pics with your phone, take them in landscape mode; that'll correct the image layout.
Please stand back a little and show us a pic of the exhaust header. I can see part of it in the pic, but I'm looking to see if there is a cat in there.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:01 PM   #8

Here is a pic further out of the exhaust system:

Name:  20191219_145203.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  100.5 KB

Old 12-20-2019, 11:40 AM   #9

There's the last piece of the puzzle. See the bulge in the exhaust pipe, under the chrome heat shield? A catalytic converter lives in there. It needs a lean mixture to function properly, so a blast of air is introduced that goes from the air box, to the control valve and then into the cylinder head. The point where air is introduced into the head is just above the heat shield; it is a black tube that becomes a flange which is held in with two bolts.
To respond to your original question, yes, the two highlighted green areas in your first pic are meant to be connected with a hose. It doesn't hurt the air injection system at all to remain as is, except that unfiltered air could eventually damage the valve. As well, if the fitting at the bottom of your air box is after the filter, you're drawing unfiltered air through that hole into the engine (not good in dusty conditions).
The truth is that most of us delete the catalytic converter to free up some power. Once it's gone, you have to delete the air injection system, or you'll get a crazy loud back-fire every time you let off the throttle. Deleting it means discarding the control valve, the hose and the tube with flange. You then have to fabricate a replacement for the flange to seal the hole. Finally, you have to change the two carb jets and adjust a bit. None of this is a big deal; there are plenty of folks hanging around this shop to guide you. Such changes will increase top speed a bit.
It's not necessary to make any changes. If you're happy with how it runs now, just replace the missing hose and enjoy the bike for what it is.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
There's the last piece of the puzzle. See the bulge in the exhaust pipe, under the chrome heat shield? A catalytic converter lives in there. It needs a lean mixture to function properly, so a blast of air is introduced that goes from the air box, to the control valve and then into the cylinder head. The point where air is introduced into the head is just above the heat shield; it is a black tube that becomes a flange which is held in with two bolts.
To respond to your original question, yes, the two highlighted green areas in your first pic are meant to be connected with a hose. It doesn't hurt the air injection system at all to remain as is, except that unfiltered air could eventually damage the valve. As well, if the fitting at the bottom of your air box is after the filter, you're drawing unfiltered air through that hole into the engine (not good in dusty conditions).
The truth is that most of us delete the catalytic converter to free up some power. Once it's gone, you have to delete the air injection system, or you'll get a crazy loud back-fire every time you let off the throttle. Deleting it means discarding the control valve, the hose and the tube with flange. You then have to fabricate a replacement for the flange to seal the hole. Finally, you have to change the two carb jets and adjust a bit. None of this is a big deal; there are plenty of folks hanging around this shop to guide you. Such changes will increase top speed a bit.
It's not necessary to make any changes. If you're happy with how it runs now, just replace the missing hose and enjoy the bike for what it is.
Thank you so much for your time, patience, and expertise on this. It's good to know all that information as I have another carb laying around that I intend to install when I want a little more power from this ride. But for now I am probably going to just ride it the way it is as I don't do much dust riding