Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2019, 01:17 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to ikeus685
Vader 125 set up and initial mods

Just ordered my Vader 125 From Venom and I already have a short list of mods that I want to do once it arrives. If you haven't check out Honda grom forums.net there is a lot of info worth doing to ones China Special.
1st mod that I want to do is to pull both wheels and check grease the bearings.
Might even pull the swing arm as this might be the best time to check this out.
Bottle of blue loc tight as loose bolt are a major source of failure on these bikes.
If you haven't seen this simple low cost suspension up grade check out ND4's
$15.00 fork up grade! This along with a change of fork oil to a heavier grade (I am going with 15w)..You'll need 2-1" spacers,
2 M8x50mm cap head bolts
2 thin rubber washers 1/2" OD
2 m8mm washers.
I've yet to do this as I have just ordered my bike and plan to go to the hardware store today or tomorrow to see what I can get.. the spacers you can also find on ebay or amazon..
Oh yeah... also going to install one of those bendable exhaust pipe guards
There is even a how to video on doing this mod.. check it out!!
What di you do for the initial set up of your baby?

Last edited by ikeus685; 11-15-2019 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added 1 more task

Old 11-15-2019, 04:55 PM   #2

Good plan!

I dunno about the $15 fork upgrade. I tried on my gen 1 and no go. I ended up with Grom shocks.

Here's my exp if you relate to gen 1 http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=21622

Old 11-15-2019, 08:12 PM   #3

Was just over on the Hondagrom.net and found that year '17 and newer have a different fork cap arrangement.. Don't know how this will turn out with my soon to be arriving???hope hope-- 19 Vader, way easier to dial in preload to your forks. Check out shush319 and his entry on 8-13-17

Old 11-15-2019, 10:11 PM   #4

Couple of things you need to add to your List - swap out the stock fuel lines for some silicone fuel line 3/16" , you can fins it on Ebay in a variety of colors or in clear. The chinese rubber lines will not tolerate ethanol that is in almost all US gas and they will swell, and flake from the inside .
Also, please check and /or change the original shipping oil out to some good US oil, that oil they usually ship in the crankcase is more for corrosion deterrence during shipping than actually running the bike.They only hold 1 quart so better to be safe than sorry.

My bike is a 2019 Vader Gen 2 , Black color built out to stunt on , I got it back in 2018 but it was the 2019 Model ( i got it late in the year) and it has been a great bike.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 11-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
Couple of things you need to add to your List - swap out the stock fuel lines for some silicone fuel line 3/16" , you can fins it on Ebay in a variety of colors or in clear. The chinese rubber lines will not tolerate ethanol that is in almost all US gas and they will swell, and flake from the inside .
Also, please check and /or change the original shipping oil out to some good US oil, that oil they usually ship in the crankcase is more for corrosion deterrence during shipping than actually running the bike.They only hold 1 quart so better to be safe than sorry.

My bike is a 2019 Vader Gen 2 , Black color built out to stunt on , I got it back in 2018 but it was the 2019 Model ( i got it late in the year) and it has been a great bike.
Thanks for the info!! I was intending to swap out the engine oil after some brief time. I have no qualms swapping it out for good stuff right away.. The fuel lines I hadn't thought of.. Tks!
Can I mount a 130/70-12 on the rear of the Vader with no problems.
Does anyone have a skid plate on their Vader and, What do you think of it?
That pipe is mighty vulnerable sitting down there all exposed..

Old 11-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #6

The shipping oil can be run for a few minutes to get it warm. That way it gets warm and thinner and more will flow out. Just a little tip I heard years ago with someone dealing with Chinabikes. Jeff at Peace Motorsports actually runs the Brozz 250 they sell with the oil because I am sure they specify with Bashan that the oil is true break-in oil. I would never go that far, personally, because who knows what the others' oil really is, other than starting the bike up for a few minutes to get the oil warm and thinner, shut it down, and drain.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-16-2019, 02:01 PM   #7

Oil selection??

Just received an email that my bike has been shipped along with initial breakin maintenance tips. It was suggested to switch to a synthetic oil which I have never felt inclined to pay the premium price for..What oil is the most popular?

Old 11-16-2019, 02:29 PM   #8

Many members around here run the oil they use in diesel engines, specifically Rotella 15w 40. That seems to be the choice with dual-sports, however, so you might want to ask in the street section for the Vader members what they run.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-16-2019, 06:54 PM   #9

China bikes just need diesel or common oil but use the right grade

Old 11-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #10

You can find a skid plate that will fit the Gen 2 Groms on Ebay for $30 or under, anodized aluminum in many colors . I am running one on my Vader, i did have to Dremel grind it just a little bit to clear my aftermarket exhaust, but that shouldn't be necessary with the stock set up, it installed super easy.
NOTE: Make SURE that the mounting bolts do NOT bottom out in the mounting holes or you WILL make a hole in your case .Just be aware of how deep the bolts go, the mounting holes have plenty of room to get more than enough threads in for it to be a rock solid install and still not be in danger of bottoming out , this is all you need to watch out for on the install.

Link to one i used :https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...kAAOSw8yVZjQrD
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 11-18-2019, 10:15 AM   #11

Thank you thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
You can find a skid plate that will fit the Gen 2 Groms on Ebay for $30 or under, anodized aluminum in many colors . I am running one on my Vader, i did have to Dremel grind it just a little bit to clear my aftermarket exhaust, but that shouldn't be necessary with the stock set up, it installed super easy.
NOTE: Make SURE that the mounting bolts do NOT bottom out in the mounting holes or you WILL make a hole in your case .Just be aware of how deep the bolts go, the mounting holes have plenty of room to get more than enough threads in for it to be a rock solid install and still not be in danger of bottoming out , this is all you need to watch out for on the install.

Link to one i used :https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...kAAOSw8yVZjQrD
That should do. While I am at it.. Is there a source for engine case guar.. I am thinking of a design like that of the monsters.. Ducati. Have noted some that are kinda close on the yoy site.

Old 11-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #12

Vader 124 IS a dual purpose bike!

Or; That's what I am hoping to do to mine. Among the large number of mods/improvements that I want to do., The 1st for engine performance is
the replacement of the OEM carb for the Mikuni VM22-133. I have heard that there is a noticeable difference between the original and the various off shoot clones...Where have I heard that before? As I am on a fixed income or you can say a tight wad can I get some advance either pro or con as to what version where, where to buy... Thanks
Just about noon and no contact on delivering or arranging an deliverytime.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:43 PM   #13

Suspension improvements Boom Vader

Have a small pile of "stuff" accumulating like Christmas presents awaiting my Vader. One problem I see as weak is the suspension. I'll be draining and replacing the stock fork oils and replacing with 15wt oil. While disassembled I hope to put a little preload or even do that $15.00 suspension mod upgrade.
I've been Roaming the different webs hoping to stumble upon some reasonably priced upgrades one can do. one manufacture that has caught my eye is Race Tech high performance from suspensions for the Grom. Around $115.00.
Progressive Suspension I have heard of but get lost trying to find a pair suitable for the Grom/Vader

Old 11-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #14

Engine case guards for the Grom will not work , i bought some but the mounting points are just not the same at all due to the difference in design. You CAN however, use Grom rearset savers ,and if you use them in conjunction with front and rear axle sliders and some bar ends, that " should" keep your engine cases from making ground contact.

The rearset savers i used are sold by 402 Innovations , easy install and they send you an extra set of bolts in the event you drop it and one breaks or gets significantly bent .I think they were like 50 or 60 bucks or so .You can find axle sliders in the anodized color of your choice ( Grom ones fit fine) on Ebay ,same with the bar ends.

I am running a 402 Innovations Ohlins knock off on the rear of mine, and for the front i got some preload adjusters and swapped out the fork oil to 15w and called it good, i do wish the springs were a bit stiffer but with the preload adjusters turned about 3/4's of the way in it's decent enough. I can't recall the name of the outfit i bought them from but they fit Groms and were about $99 iirc. ,and you can just get the springs instead for that amount.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 11-21-2019, 09:30 PM   #15

Waiting

Those up grades sound good. My little crate of spares is getting full. No word yet from Road Runner on when they're going to ship my bike down from Portland. Have ordered the Mikuni VN22 and assortment of jets.
On the Honda Grom forum there was mentioned a couple of e bay/Amazon rear suspension upgrades, One was under $100..00 the other $29.59 with about the same adjustable rates.. That got me to looking: 240mm or 9 1/2" eye to eye, 10 mm holes, 10mm approx. spring thickness. There's a number of em though most were different eye to eye lengths. What got my attention were the air or nitrogen dampened adjustable mono shock Branch, Possby manufactured with 150 KG springs.
Anyone tried or have any information on these or any others? Under a $100.00 I can't handle the Olins..They are just a pipe dream.