Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #1

ATV Front suspension / steering issue

Hello,

Picked up this GY6 engine ATV on a impulse buy a few months ago as an extra that my son friends could use. On its maiden test ride my boy flip it and I've been working on it as time permits. My boy said the steering was stiff and hard to control

So far this is what I've done; replaced right spindle since it was stripped, replaced all tie rods, repacked spindles, checked and greased hub/spindle bearings, alignment, adjusted brakes. the right side spindle had play so added spacer and the play is gone.

Took it for a spin this morning and the steering feels hard/stiff. You have to put effort to steer it, does not give confidence compared to the other quads we have. The front shocks have no travel even with my 270lbs on it. What should i look into next to fix the steering? I did replace the shocks with some with reservoirs but would rub when turning, so returned them. I though about widening the front, since its not as wide compared to the other quads and re-positioning the shock mounts so i can add longer shocks with travel.

[IMG]GY6 engine ATV by ntrodriguez, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 10-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #2

I would start by lifting the front up into the air, taking weight off the front. Move the bars side to side to see if there is any resistance. If there is, it should be easy to find the source. If there is none, slowly lower the front while moving the bars until you feel resistance. Stop and find the source.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 10-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
I would start by lifting the front up into the air, taking weight off the front. Move the bars side to side to see if there is any resistance. If there is, it should be easy to find the source. If there is none, slowly lower the front while moving the bars until you feel resistance. Stop and find the source.
When I was working on it and had it up in the air, steering was smooth and easy. Will try your suggestion on lowering it little by little.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #4

Man... those front coils look like they would stack and max out on travel after hitting a pebble in the trail. Those front shocks gotta go (especially if they are as stiff as you describe).

My first thought on the steering was that the steering shaft was binding, but if it rotates freely up in the air, probably not that. Something is binding... It may be that those shocks are too stiff or too long and pushing the front spindles/suspension down far enough that the tie rods are jamming up and the steering angles go all wrong.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #5

I have a similar GY6 and it used to suffer from terrible bumpsteer. To see if yours does, put a jackstand under the front of the frame and remove one shock and ensure that the wheels are pointed straight ahead. Lift that wheel to the top of the travel range and note if the wheel begins to turn, rather than remaining straight. If it does, try flipping the tie rod end to the other side of the steering shaft bracket or try flipping the tie rod end to the other side of the spindle; whichever works in your situation. It solved the problem for me.

You can read more about it and see some fuzzy pics here: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14105 Not saying it will cure your quad, but it's worth checking.

Also, if the shocks will not compress under your weight, I'd consider replacing them with something cheap and light.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard_Cain View Post
Man... those front coils look like they would stack and max out on travel after hitting a pebble in the trail. Those front shocks gotta go (especially if they are as stiff as you describe).

My first thought on the steering was that the steering shaft was binding, but if it rotates freely up in the air, probably not that. Something is binding... It may be that those shocks are too stiff or too long and pushing the front spindles/suspension down far enough that the tie rods are jamming up and the steering angles go all wrong.
Yeah shocks are stiff, would work better on a F4500 😂 the front as a reverse butterfly.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I have a similar GY6 and it used to suffer from terrible bumpsteer. To see if yours does, put a jackstand under the front of the frame and remove one shock and ensure that the wheels are pointed straight ahead. Lift that wheel to the top of the travel range and note if the wheel begins to turn, rather than remaining straight. If it does, try flipping the tie rod end to the other side of the steering shaft bracket or try flipping the tie rod end to the other side of the spindle; whichever works in your situation. It solved the problem for me.

You can read more about it and see some fuzzy pics here: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14105 Not saying it will cure your quad, but it's worth checking.

Also, if the shocks will not compress under your weight, I'd consider replacing them with something cheap and light.
Good info, any suggestion on shocks under 10” Long.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:12 AM   #8

Nothing specific. I'd start hunting eBay and Amazon.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer