Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2019, 07:03 PM   #1

My long walk back to the Hawk

June 25th of this year I took a spill on my bike, I high-sided it at 60mph, got body slammed on the pavement and slid for a good ways. During the slamming process the bike landed on me and came out basically unscathed, didn't even break a mirror. I on the other hand suffered a spiral fracture of my right femur and severe ligament damage to my right knee.

The following day the Docs slapped some metal in my leg and stapled me back up. 3 days after that they transferred me to a physical rehabilitation hospital and was discharged 6 days after that because I showed them I was quite familiar with a wheelchair and transfers. And they released me because cousin Jay busted his butt and built me a small deck and a wheelchair ramp in 3 days.

Last edited by OneLeggedRider; 10-30-2019 at 01:57 AM.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:22 PM   #2

So I spent the next 6 weeks healing and eagerly awaiting my 2 month Dr appointment in hopes he would tell me I could get out of this wheelchair and back on my feet.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:40 PM   #3

Alas the day of the Dr appointment was here and he gave me the ok to start walking again! I just knew I would be back on my Hawk again in a couple weeks. Well the first time back on my feet wasn't a pleasant experience. My knee wasn't healed enough to balance and support my weight. Apparently I had slid alot further from the bike than I had previously thought, several miles away rather than just a few feet.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:19 PM   #4

Ouch. Do what the Doc says and don't skimp on the PT. Also, don't rush the recovery.
My crutches are named Ben and Jerry. Right knee surgery in 05. Car/bicycle crash in 07. Left knee surgery in 09. Right knee again in 11. Left foot rebuilt in 16.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 09-15-2019, 09:56 PM   #5

Fast forward 2 weeks and I try it again, still hurts like hell but I'm able to do it and feel more confident. This is day 3 of walking and I'm realizing my calf muscle should have been getting more exercise. But atleast now I can see the Hawk off in the distance, just gotta keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I gotta tell ya it's a little scary using the walker when I'm home alone, but so is transferring in and out of the shower. But I leave the door unlocked when I do, and if I fall hopefully cousin Jay will be along in a few days or so.

I can see it now.. Local Ohio man falls at home and has to drink his own urine to survive 7 days. He claims halfway through this ordeal his sister who also lives on the property stopped by to borrow some money. She pocketed the man's money and filled a milk jug with water and left it setting just a few feet out of reach. Also folks throughout tonight's broadcast we will be referring to the man as Gimpy Mcfallsalot to protect his identity and save him further embarrassment and ridicule..

Old 09-15-2019, 11:19 PM   #6

I kinda wanted to chronicle my journey back to the Hawk and hopefully this thread will end with me aboard my beloved steed riding a wheelie off into the sunset.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:55 AM   #7

Sorry about the accident, OLR. I have done plenty of low siders on dirt bikes but never a high side. That must be a wild ride.
I'm glad you are looking forward to riding again but follow doctors orders. We dont heal as fast as we did in our twenties.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:50 AM   #8

Looking good man. Yep, I got a metal femur too. Wait till you set the first cold beer on your new metal. Lol... it’s fn cold...

Old 09-16-2019, 09:55 AM   #9

The last set of xrays taken about 3 weeks ago. The cloudy looking stuff around the spiral fracture is calcium, a sure sign that the bone is healing nicely.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:21 PM   #10

I can see it now.. Local Ohio man falls at home and has to drink his own urine to survive 7 days. He claims halfway through this ordeal his sister who also lives on the property stopped by to borrow some money. She pocketed the man's money and filled a milk jug with water and left it setting just a few feet out of reach. Also folks throughout tonight's broadcast we will be referring to the man as Gimpy Mcfallsalot to protect his identity and save him further embarrassment and ridicule.. [/QUOTE]

As the stories develop, accidents, surgeries....we might need to start a special party of china riders, accident and surgery survivors, at Franks. The cuzins McFall and Mcfail will be the hosts.

I have had a few accidents, but never a hospital stay, nor a medical record, until last Aug., 2018. I can appreciate the learning to walk again. My mrs, kept an eye on me, for several months. Still to this day, chews my rear about eating and going without lunch. When I am on a job, lunch and dinner is not a Bueno time, just get the job done. I don't know how she went thru my hospital stay, and watching me get back into life. During the hospital stay, I couldn't bring my hands, arms, legs to work again. Had a heck of time feeding myself, learning to walk, and the most degrading was having someone wipe my behind. I couldn't drink a beer or anything carbonated. My body temperature had a hard time regulating. PT was hard work, but somehow I pushed the limits. BUT, with great amounts of sheer determination, I was able to recover actually fairly well. The cold weather was challenging last winter, but was able to sled, at least a few times. I can work, feed my family. I still drop a lot of things with my right hand, and that is frustrating. Since I am a burn survivor, I encourage others to push hard, a person can "come back". One of my mentors as a former lineman, that had both his arms blown off, and with prosthetics he can use a cell phone faster and quicker than anyone I know. Getting over my former fears of my last motorcycle accident (years ago), has been a challenge, and that is why I am riding again. The china syndrome lives on!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Last edited by wedooit; 09-17-2019 at 11:51 AM. Reason: auto edit is not good

Old 09-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedooit View Post
Quote:
I can see it now.. Local Ohio man falls at home and has to drink his own urine to survive 7 days. He claims halfway through this ordeal his sister who also lives on the property stopped by to borrow some money. She pocketed the man's money and filled a milk jug with water and left it setting just a few feet out of reach. Also folks throughout tonight's broadcast we will be referring to the man as Gimpy Mcfallsalot to protect his identity and save him further embarrassment and ridicule..
As the stories develop, accidents, surgeries....we might need to start a special party of china riders, accident surgery survivors, at Franks. The cuzins McFall and Mcfail will be the hosts.
i fit in that group as well....LOL maybe we can coordinate the slapping line and the surgery survivors.... i have a plate and 8 screws in the left arm from a bicycle accident 16 years ago....

Old 09-16-2019, 08:01 PM   #12

It looks like you've lost some weight based on the pictures. Most always a good thing. Keep at your PT and you'll be back in the saddle soon enough.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 09-16-2019, 11:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
It looks like you've lost some weight based on the pictures. Most always a good thing. Keep at your PT and you'll be back in the saddle soon enough.
Yes, that's been the one upside of this adventure. Because of regular exercise and not going out to eat at expensive restaurants 3 times a week I am in a little better shape. The scale says I've only lost 6lbs but they say muscle weighs more than fat. My belly has definitely gotten smaller thank goodness lol, and my chest has gotten bigger from using the wheelchair.

@Kim you should post a pic, not of your scars but just to see what you look like.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
Yes the Frankster has lost some weight...keep it up!!!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 09-17-2019, 10:21 PM   #15

I've spent 8 hours on my feet today and I gotta admit it's getting easier and hurting less. But I wont consider it an actual victory until I can ditch this effing walker.

Jay's picking up my other girlfriend tomorrow (the other is coming down Thursday) on his TBR and bringing her over, gotta watch that sly dog.. So I plan on mostly horizontal exercises and movies tomorrow.

On another note, he did get my kitchen sink hooked up today and his bill below 1100, I better order him more bike parts, I kinda like this indentured servitude thang.