Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2019, 03:18 AM   #1

Dualsport riding gear wins and fails

Not sure if this is the right forum for this topic, but I figure if it's dualsport gear..

My Viking Cycle Asger armored jacket came in today and I'm very pleased with it so far. It has armor everywhere, 3 back panels, 4 front panels, forearms elbows and shoulders. Waterproof and vented with zip in liner. 4 big pockets on the outside, 6 pockets inside in 3 different sizes. Adjustable straps for waist sleeves and neck. And I'm impressed with the fit in the XXXL size. Plenty of shoulder room and the sleeves and torso are actually long enough for me. It is a little snug in the belly area (wonder why?) but still comfortable.

I was wanting to get a jacket like Jay's, which looks good on him. But I figured out real quick if you're mega-sized your not gonna find a $50 - $60 jacket. I found this one for $100 and Viking seems to be a decent brand, and all the zippers appear to be good quality.

Now on the topic of being mega-sized does anyone know where to get decent armored gloves made to fit actual men? So far I've ordered 2 pair in the 2XL and 3XL size and I cant get either over my knuckles. I think maybe a 4XL would work? I've had this trouble my whole life having to special order hats shoes and gloves.

Trying to upload pics, poor signal tonight..

Old 08-22-2019, 03:29 AM   #2

Even with Verizon wireless living out in the boonies has it's disadvantages. The struggle is real..

Last edited by OneLeggedRider; 10-30-2019 at 01:57 AM.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:51 AM   #3

And a couple more..

Last edited by OneLeggedRider; 10-30-2019 at 01:57 AM.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:36 AM   #4

nice

I wear fox body armour under my jacket or riding jersey ...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 08-22-2019, 05:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post

I was wanting to get a jacket like Jay's, which looks good on him. But I figured out real quick if you're mega-sized your not gonna find a $50 - $60 jacket.

Now on the topic of being mega-sized does anyone know where to get decent armored gloves made to fit actual men? So far I've ordered 2 pair in the 2XL and 3XL size and I cant get either over my knuckles. I think maybe a 4XL would work? I've had this trouble my whole life having to special order hats shoes and gloves.

As a fellow MEGA sized fellow, I can attest to finding proper gear is always a challenge. That is part of the reason why my full riding gear getup for the road costs about the same as a brand new Hawk. Admittedly, I could probably go cheaper, but I have learned the hard way that it is sometimes worth spending more on some things.

As far as gloves, I am going to assume you have big meat hooks like I do. I would suggest looking for gloves that feature an "American Cut" to them. What it really comes down to is price range and how armored are we wanting? If you don't mind spending a bit (about $90), it is hard to beat REAX Castor gloves. They are a shorter cuff, but a nice big American cut glove. They also feature touch screen capability on the index and thumb and quite a lot of reinforcement - and all leather construction.

Highway 21 also makes some great gloves for around the $50 mark, give or take. I have a pair of their "hook" gloves, which are a nice goat skin leather with a little knuckle protection and a longer cuff. These have been great all around gloves for me and tend to be the pair I wear the most.

Realistically, for a good pair of gloves you will be looking at at least 40-50 bucks if you want anything made out of good materials that will hold up.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 08-22-2019, 05:49 AM   #6

Helpful and thorough as usual Dan, I appreciate it and will look into both brands.

Yeah being a welder all them years kidskin (goat or lamb skin) gloves are the best as far as heat and shrinkage protection and range of motion, but usually couldn't find them in my size so I'd have to wear the big bulky gloves and maybe get 2 weeks out of them before they got hard and shrank too much to get my fingers in. When I was at National Gateworks we had a supply truck stop once a week and he was able to get kidskin in my size so I bought every pair he brought.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:16 AM   #7

I have a viking Warlock http://https://www.vikingcycle.com/c...jacket-for-men and was pleasantly surprised at the quality vs price point. Got it for like $50 with a coupon they had. Its a armored mesh jacket, no issues riding on 90 degree high humidity days. Forgot to put the liner back in it this morning and froze my ass off going into work lol.

I also got a Joe Rocket Atomic 5.0 on clearance for $130 which ill probably start using soon since the temps in MI are dipping.

If you like the Viking stuff sign up for their emails, they always have coupons.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
1974 Suzuki tm125, work in progress
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #8

Nice looking jacket! Thanks to all for the info!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 08-22-2019, 05:32 PM   #9

One legged dude, you could have a side job as a jacket model....but. wait we need a model for Bruce Jenner shorts.....lol....I've had to many cups of coffee

I need a good jacket as well, thanks for the research guys!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 08-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
Not sure if this is the right forum for this topic, but I figure if it's dualsport gear..

My Viking Cycle Asger armored jacket came in today and I'm very pleased with it so far. It has armor everywhere, 3 back panels, 4 front panels, forearms elbows and shoulders. Waterproof and vented with zip in liner. 4 big pockets on the outside, 6 pockets inside in 3 different sizes. Adjustable straps for waist sleeves and neck. And I'm impressed with the fit in the XXXL size. Plenty of shoulder room and the sleeves and torso are actually long enough for me. It is a little snug in the belly area (wonder why?) but still comfortable.

I was wanting to get a jacket like Jay's, which looks good on him. But I figured out real quick if you're mega-sized your not gonna find a $50 - $60 jacket. I found this one for $100 and Viking seems to be a decent brand, and all the zippers appear to be good quality.

I bought that exact jacket in black about month ago. Love it! Fits great and pretty good for hot weather with the front and back ventilation openings.

Got these pants like them too https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CSG3CJE..._t1_B07D1RWD82

Old 08-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #11

Got these gloves really like them too. Good price seems for good quality. Milwaukee leather has on line site with alot stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Lea...RB0E7DDKP0XKHG

Old 08-22-2019, 07:54 PM   #12

My priority for any glove includes some form of outer knuckle protection - preferably a mix of hard and soft, reinforcement at the palm as well as the ulna (outside of the hand/wrist area) if possible. Thicker leather overall vs. thin mesh panels on the outside of the glove. I will sacrifice some sweaty hand for better protection. Lastly, a precurve to the fingers for better comfort and control.

Secondary features would include reinforcement on the outside of the pinky (known as anti-rollover) is a plus, but more commonly found on sport gloves. This is a handy feature for keeping your pinky in place on your hand in higher speed impacts/slides. Aditional armor or padding at the tops of the fingers is also a plus.

The reason I adore my REAX Castor gloves so much is that they include all of the above for less than $100 AND they fit my giant American hands extremely well.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 08-22-2019, 09:26 PM   #13

For gloves i like the Rev't Dirt series, the other day, i wanted to test how far i could take my attack angle and i fell... Like it was to be expected hands first, the glove took the gravel with little damage, the jacket (rev't too) little to no damage, but my 5.11 cargos now have a new hole....

Lucky me, i'm an international medium, you can fit me with an US Medium OK, European medium slighlty tight, South American medium ok. Chinese medium depends on the day and who made it

Now i need to look for some motorcycle cargos, that don't look odd.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:58 PM   #14

2 years ago I was out with my fiance Dawn and I was on my little FourTrax because the race quad had a blown headlight. We were following a SXS and the hill was really rutted out. Dawn lost traction on her bike and stopped, but I continued on. The left rear dropped in a rut and it was all over but the crying. The bike flipped 3 times, the steel front bumper hitting me in between the shoulder blades and in the back of the head. My left middle finger went on top of itself so it was about an inch shorter. I grabbed it and popped it back into place, then an overzealous rider (we were still halfway up a VERY steep hill) grabbed me and the finger folded over completely backwards, so I had to pop it back in place again..

Found out later I had a brain injury from that accident but didn't notice it till I was running the backhoe 3 days later. Bike was unscathed so..

Old 08-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #15

Glad you all lived thru it!

I have been researching and researching as what I and the mrs should wear as protection, etc....etc.