Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2019, 08:02 AM   #1

Hawk 250 or Tbr7?

Hi all,
New to the forum, this is our of the norm for me so bare with me. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a hawk or tbr7 and through my research they are essentially the same. (If not sorry for the mess up). Is there any discernable difference between the two? Which is the better of the two?

Old 08-14-2019, 08:11 AM   #2

Welcome aboard! Main difference is the Hawk has 21" front and 18" rear wheels whereas the TBR7 had 19" front and 17" rear. The Hawk will be taller and will have a wider selection of off road tires. The TBR7 will be easier to register in most states as it is EPA certified for street use where the Hawk isn't but has been successful in some states. Can't go wrong with either bike.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 08-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #3

Maybe consider the Blue eagle from peace powers ports
Motocheez did a YT vid n was very impressed and he’s got all 3 bikes etc

Old 08-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #4

As a TBR owner and this is my first bike, while the bike is great and EASILY registered, I am unhappy with how tall \ high the bike sits.

I am 5' 10" , I lowered the rear shock and removed the spacers on the front forks and even lowered the forks on the triple tree and I still feel the bike is fairly tall.

Not sure how tall you are, nor how tall the Hawk sits, but if you are short or a new rider, I would look for a lower profile bike.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #5

Welcome!!! also check out onelegged as cuz jay has a tbr. there are many other tbr and hawk dude here as well.
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 08-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #6

As Jerry said you can't go wrong with either for the price. I bought both and in my opinion the TBR7 is a better bike as far as fit and finish, and ease of assembly. Better bolts and locknuts, LED turn signals, rear rack, rear brake linkage, ease of registration, and alot of other little things like an inline fuel filter, etc.

The drawbacks are ofcourse the rim sizes as far as tire selection, a very poor rear shock even though you can adjust preload for weight, cheap plastic hand guards that are just for looks, mirrors won't stay in place, and a slightly different frame so the CRF performance pipe is not a direct bolt on. Petcock valve that doesn't actually shut off, and uses a dim ATV headlight bulb.

The Hawk on the other hand is a tried an true big wheel dirtbike that has alot more information and resources due to it's popularity. But some states won't register it as street legal, and it requires alot more initial assembly and has poor quality nuts and bolts that might snap or vibrate loose. It also costs $60 more than the TBR7.

So for me it would boil down to what state I lived in as far as registration, and what kind of riding I wanted to do. Mostly street with an occasional back road or trail, TBR7. Mostly secondary and gravel roads with actual muddy trails, Hawk all the way.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofqueenz View Post
As a TBR owner and this is my first bike, while the bike is great and EASILY registered, I am unhappy with how tall \ high the bike sits.

I am 5' 10" , I lowered the rear shock and removed the spacers on the front forks and even lowered the forks on the triple tree and I still feel the bike is fairly tall.

Not sure how tall you are, nor how tall the Hawk sits, but if you are short or a new rider, I would look for a lower profile bike.
Both bikes sit too tall with the Hawk being maybe an inch taller. I'm 6'2" and would have difficulty swinging my leg over either in it's stock form.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #8

Thanks OneLg

Im 99% street ride and after having rode some American made bikes, or even taking a Rebel 500 for a ride, being able to touch the floor with your knees bent vs. tippy toe is very frustrating at stop signs and traffic lights ( again, I mostly street ride ).

Old 08-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #9

Thank you to everybody for helping me out. I live in northeast Arkansas and from what I have gathered the TBR7 Is a breeze to get through the dmv here. As I live in a small town and the speed limit isnt but 55 the max I need to go is 60 without the motor having a stroke on me. What is your opinions on sprocket combos if you don't mind?

Old 08-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #10

Hey school....I have the BMS for the mrs, had to lower it with seat cut, shock, etc. am running stock gears. But it has inverted forks, and a small rack for grocery getting. I thought when we bought it, we would try something new or different. I spent too much time, brew, coffee, and months, deciding what to purchase, and that was too much time spent. LOL! Get the bike and ride, as what I should have done. They are all good bikes, and many here, have many miles on them with enjoyment of not spending lots of dollars. And the folks here are kind and knowledgeable!

Keep us posted on your journey and send us some pix!!!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 08-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolblack21 View Post
Thank you to everybody for helping me out. I live in northeast Arkansas and from what I have gathered the TBR7 Is a breeze to get through the dmv here. As I live in a small town and the speed limit isnt but 55 the max I need to go is 60 without the motor having a stroke on me. What is your opinions on sprocket combos if you don't mind?
Order Tako's kit, it comes with a 17 tooth front sprocket and lots of other goodies to get ya started.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
Order Tako's kit, it comes with a 17 tooth front sprocket and lots of other goodies to get ya started.
Thank you bud, I seen on motocheez's video about that kit. im use to turning wrenches on cars and had a 87 Suzuki dr200 (I think that's the model) but I didn't have it long before I traded it off. Its just a little different than hanging over a fender to work on something

Old 08-15-2019, 03:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Thank you bud, I seen on motocheez's video about that kit. im use to turning wrenches on cars and had a 87 Suzuki dr200 (I think that's the model) but I didn't have it long before I traded it off. Its just a little different than hanging over a fender to work on something
He's since improved it and you get alot more stuff. A complete rebuild kit including the floats, a vast array of jets including pilots, air filter, sprocket, and the proper spark plug for the TBR7. An excellent value for $29.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Welcome aboard! Main difference is the Hawk has 21" front and 18" rear wheels whereas the TBR7 had 19" front and 17" rear. The Hawk will be taller and will have a wider selection of off road tires. The TBR7 will be easier to register in most states as it is EPA certified for street use where the Hawk isn't but has been successful in some states. Can't go wrong with either bike.
Thank you for taking the time for that, btw I watched some of your vids and I like that skid plate on your bike. But I think im gonna head down the ole tbr7 road just to keep the headache down to a minimum with the dmv.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time for that, btw I watched some of your vids and I like that skid plate on your bike. But I think im gonna head down the ole tbr7 road just to keep the headache down to a minimum with the dmv.
I don't know if you looked at the Hawk 250 DXL? It is street legal, EFI, Digital cluster, Stainless steel exhaust and has the UDS forks. Does cost a little more but has quiet a few more upgrades from the Old Hawk. Note: pictures on this site are of the old Hawk except the first picture. https://q9powersportsusa.com/collect...rt-motorcycles

Here are the correct specs and pictures. https://www.rickypowersports.net/hawk-250-dlx-efi
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Tags
hawk, tbr7