Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2019, 10:47 PM   #1

Razz Introduction and Gas Quality/Operating Temperatures

Just wanted to pick your brains/inform you all of a little something I noticed the other day. I purchased some gas from the local Sunoco, which carries Miles fuel(it takes you farther/further-idk) and the bike seemed to run extremely cool and somewhat smoother for the rest of the tank. I don't think I even noticed heat coming from the engine(which is abnormal). I filled it up with some fuel from a different Sunoco(different brand of fuel-cant recall) and it seemed to run it's normal temperature within 10 minutes. I assume others have had some similar experiences with different brands of gas....There may be a thread on this, but I wanted to get some input from the more experienced riders(anyone but me) on which brands seem to be the best.....or maybe I'm just ....

Last edited by Madeaupollo; 08-24-2019 at 10:19 PM. Reason: re-categorizing post

Old 07-18-2019, 07:14 AM   #2

I'm incredibly new to riding and a month into my first bike (TBR7 ).

But I would have to ask, why make an assessment on perceived running temperature across 2 completely different days?

Factors like, time of day, humidity for a given day, wind direction, your riding habit for that given day, where you rode, how you rode, traffic etc. etc. the variables across the 2 days could be so drastically different.

I don't much believe too much in their advertising, I watch the same massive fuel tanker ride up the main road and stop at 3 different gas stations make a fuel delivery to all 3. Unless there is some underground secret mixing \ infusing of their advertised " detergents and chemicals" I think it is all a sham and I go for price. 93 is 93 at Sunoco or Joe's Gas ' N '' Go.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:50 PM   #3

I have a brother used to drive gas truck, Different additives for different gas companys mostly bigger name brands. Some gas companys have no additives cheaper ones mow an pow an larger cheaper, I stick with 1 that I use most often but when need gas get where can, not much difference in gases in short haul have 2100 miles on mine now so had few tank fills . Difference in additives are some clean system some help wear on engine an few other things they do. Ive noticed a little difference in mine when change gas, but not much.
For temperature on engine lot of things difference. previous post

Old 08-24-2019, 10:39 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

The two times I compared were very similar, if not identical. Pretty easy to tell differences in fuel once you're used to a bike, but even then consistency is an issue sometimes. Single cylinder engines seem to be affected by crappy fuel about ten fold over a car engine(i4, v6, etc)-never had a twin, so I wouldn't know. I can only tell crappy gas in my car by watching the mileage(if it runs fine ofc), and boy have I found some bad ones....some brands I will refuse to buy...but I won't say any names.

I would try the Country-Mark, because they claim ethanol free fuel, but only have 87 or 89 octane...figures.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:16 AM   #5

I put ethanol free 91 Octane in ALL my small engines.

Tags
gas fuel brand temp