Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2019, 07:15 PM   #1

Speedo acting strange 2019 Hellcat

Hi,

I went for the longest ride yet today. Forty km each way. I noticed something strange with the speedo. You know when you first turn the bike on and the speedo does its thing? The RPM goes up and down for a couple of seconds and the N indicator flashes etc etc... Well I noticed every once in a while the speedo would do that while I was riding. It did it at least 5 or 6 times each way. I couldn't narrow it down to any speed, RPM or gear. It seemed random. This speedo is stuck in KM/H and i should be getting a new one. But until then I wondered if anyone else had this happen to them or has any idea how to solve it.

Thanks

Last edited by scoot newb; 03-24-2019 at 07:56 PM.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot newb View Post
Hi,

I went for the longest ride yet today. Forty km each way. I noticed something strange with the speedo. You know when you first turn the bike on and the speedo does its thing? The RPM goes up and down for a couple of seconds and the N indicator flashes etc etc... Well I noticed every once in a while the speedo would do that while I was riding. It did it at least 5 or 6 times each way. I couldn't narrow it down to any speed, RPM or gear. It seemed random. This speedo is stuck in KM/H and i should be getting a new one. But until then I wondered if anyone else had this happen to them or has any idea how to solve it.

Thanks
Check all you wiring under the gas tank. I found several connectors that were barely plugged in. You should do this anyways just so you are not left stranded with no idea as to WTF is wrong.
Protaper se x110 bars/grips
1/4 MotionPro throttle
Kepspeed Braced swingarm
Chimera rear hub assy
Grom Intergrated tail light
Superlite Sprockets 17/32
custom made from Japan
Chimera Swing Arm Bolt
RK MXZ Chain #420
All Balls wheel bearings
Motodynamic fender eliminator
Coremoto ss brake lines
Composimo 2.5 lower link
Grom Calipers-w/ebc pads/rotors
Michelin tire 140&120
13x4/13x7 fatties
Grom forks

Old 03-24-2019, 09:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
Check all you wiring under the gas tank. I found several connectors that were barely plugged in. You should do this anyways just so you are not left stranded with no idea as to WTF is wrong.
Thanks. I'll definitely check it out ASAP. I've had all the plastic off and seat off and the connectors I could access were nice and tight. Are the other connectors I can't see without removing the gas tank?

Old 03-26-2019, 07:36 AM   #4

Yes. Don't need to take tank off
Protaper se x110 bars/grips
1/4 MotionPro throttle
Kepspeed Braced swingarm
Chimera rear hub assy
Grom Intergrated tail light
Superlite Sprockets 17/32
custom made from Japan
Chimera Swing Arm Bolt
RK MXZ Chain #420
All Balls wheel bearings
Motodynamic fender eliminator
Coremoto ss brake lines
Composimo 2.5 lower link
Grom Calipers-w/ebc pads/rotors
Michelin tire 140&120
13x4/13x7 fatties
Grom forks

Old 03-26-2019, 07:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
Yes. Don't need to take tank off
Thanks
I got it sorted. Now if only I could make it display in MPH instead of km/h. But it's one of those defective ones.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks
I got it sorted. Now if only I could make it display in MPH instead of km/h. But it's one of those defective ones.

Scoot newb, I was looking at another user's guide to recalibrate the speedo:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=21714

Well that doesnt work on my 2018 Hellcat but I did find something interesting that may help you.

Hold the right button down with the ignition off, then turn the ignition on and it will change from KMH to MPH and back. This is not the directions I was given when I was trying to change my inital dash that was stuck in KMH, but oddly does work for me. Hope it works for you.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:50 PM   #7

Thanks. I've tried that combination before but no worky on this one.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks. I've tried that combination before but no worky on this one.
Yeah my Vader today I wanted to change the time and it was I think the left button out of the only two buttons on my gauges that I held down for a really long time--then MPH started flashing and I could either hit the right button to change it to KPH or againfor back to MPH then hit the left button again to move on to the hour display--again change the hour with the right button then hit the left again to toggle to the minute display and the right button to change the minutes then the left button again one last time to get back to the beginning.

Im not sure thats what the thrwad the above person posted but thats basically all you can do is try holding down either one of the buttons, one at a time, until something happens. Its possible i got my left button and right button above in my instructions transposed, that is backwards--so try holding down one until something happens or at least 30-45 seconds and if nothing happens then try the other button. I guess I am kind of assuming the Hellcat speedo is like the Grom/Vader speedo though...Oh yes and also hold down the buttons with the key turned to the on position--im not sure if your bike needs to b e not running or runnin g--cant remember but I may have done while bike was running--but my battery power and display was definitley on when I did this today! Hope this helps!

Have you figured out how to change the time on yours? if yes that should also be how to get to changing the kph to mph--or its possible the stiffed youwith a KPH only since I think these are sold in other countries where they use KPH...

"Life's too short not to enjoy it-So's my China Bike!"-Me

Old 04-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #9

Yes I can change the time. Some of the 2018 Hellcats have a known issue where the speedos are locked on km/h.

For me, holding the left button (long push) causes the hour to blink, from there, right button cycles hours, left again switches over to minutes, then same, right cycle. Long hold left again sets it, all blinking stops.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:56 PM   #10

Head Scratching

Quote:
Yes I can change the time. Some of the 2018 Hellcats have a known issue where the speedos are locked on km/h.

For me, holding the left button (long push) causes the hour to blink, from there, right button cycles hours, left again switches over to minutes, then same, right cycle. Long hold left again sets it, all blinking stops.
and what happens if after you set whatever time you want and directly after you set the minutes before long holding left to finish the time what happens if you tap left instead of long holding it? does it just cycle back to the hour flashing again? Dang sorry to hear that--AND IF you are truly stuck. Maybe try to find a British or Canadian China Rider who has a Grom Like Vehicle that toggles like mine does and maybe swap in the mail since they only need Kilometers per Hour in the "British Empire" (Canada prints the Queen on their money and is still heavily affiliated with England so I consider them part of the "Empire") although that would probably be more expensive than it costs for this replacement that LOOKS LIKE THE OEM gauge cluster on Ebay for $27--delivery from ShenZen China or Hong Kong in a claimed 2-3 weeks---free shipping I think on that one or one like it
Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-M...gAAOSwyDFa~U9E

Well good luck to yah. All I can say is like I said before keep trying button combos--before I knew how to work mine I was trying to hold one either for just a second or for a long time before pushing the other either briefly or also holding it down while still holding the first one--all to no avail. But basically I tried a lot of the possible button combos before I figured mine out. I guess a cell phone holder for gps could also work--I have seen a person blog with a Hawk and NO gauge cluster use an attached cell phone speedo pass Vermont Motor Vehicle Department Inspections, although they would plate just about anything in Vermont whether they see it or not, whether you live there or not they just want the $$

"Life's too short not to enjoy it-So's my China Bike!"-Me

Old 04-26-2019, 03:03 AM   #11

Tao Tao supposedly will replace the defective ones.

https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=22010

The problem is they don't return phone calls or answer e-mail.