Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #1

Elevation Carb Advice

Hello everyone,

Just had two Bashan Enforcer 250 delivered yesterday and going through the assembly process. Before I try to fire them up and break in the engines wanted to see thoughts on the stock carb settings. I'm in Colorado and my house is at about 7,300 ft in elevation, do you think the stock carb jets will be ok for the initial break in here?

Thanks for any advice

Old 03-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #2

I think at that elevation you should be okay for the break in period. Once have it broke in and start doing running higher rpms you can pull the plug to see if its running lean or rich. More than likely it will be lean.
2022 Lifan KPX250
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-22-2019, 01:39 PM   #3

Without going into specifics, I recall stories in the mid-2000s about people buying cheap dual-sports and riding all over China. They always had no problems with the bikes in the 12000 foot elevations or higher. I think these come jetted for high elevations. Most people seem to have to rejet for far lower elevations. Personally, I would start them once fully and properly assembled, run them for a few minutes to warm up the shipping oil, and WITHOUT riding them, see how they do. Once warm, more of that gooey stuff will flow out than from a cold engine. Then replace with Rotella 15w-40, and start them again, but this time rev them softly and ride them mildly and see how the engines are at those elevations. By then, you should have a good feeling of what is going on. Also, far more advice as well The one active member from Colorado who would be perfect to ask is Azhule. But the short of it is to get them assembled and running to start. You won't 'harm' them running stock jets for a little while, and I am guessing for initial break-in, they will be ideal. But let's get more detailed advice from others, namely Azhule.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-22-2019, 04:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalidaCO View Post
Hello everyone,

Just had two Bashan Enforcer 250 delivered yesterday and going through the assembly process. Before I try to fire them up and break in the engines wanted to see thoughts on the stock carb settings. I'm in Colorado and my house is at about 7,300 ft in elevation, do you think the stock carb jets will be ok for the initial break in here?

Thanks for any advice
I live at 6000ft (New Mexico), and i believe my TBR7 has the same carb. My bike runs a little lean at 6000ft but when i ride to 7-8000ft the jetting seems better. I would run the bikes stock so at a minimum you have a baseline as to how the jetting is . After you break in the new engines and have a feel for how they perform then try the jetting/ new carb.

I am going to try the new carb and jetting soon on my bike now that i have the baseline to know whether im making it run better or worse.

Have fun.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #5

Thanks guys
I was hoping it would be ok and sounds like it will be for the initial rides. Reading through the forum it seemed like most people had to re-jet for lower elevations. I'll mostly be riding between about 6500 to 9500 and the carb is the Keihin PZ30.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:55 PM   #6

Reviving my old thread for a quick and probably dumb question. I have two of the Bashan DB-41H-250’s and am switching over to the VM26 clone carb after switching exhaust and want to be able to tune a little more easily. Got the carbs and pulled jets to make ensure they were mikuni style. The main are the normal round head n100.604 or m21 but the pilots measured everything the same as the VM28/486 pilot except for they have a 2.5mm tip which is the N224-103 pilot. Now my question, on one carb the pilot screws in fine no binding at all on the other it gets tight the last two turns as it seats and the tip is silvered from rubbing the aluminum. Would you stick with what came with them or run the 2mm tip in one carb and 2.5mm tip in the other? Or switch to 2mm all around? Was wanting to avoid having different types of jets but wasn’t sure if that binding is a big problem.

Last edited by SalidaCO; 04-13-2021 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Typo